A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
stryke
Captain

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by stryke »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:51 am Brexit made a lot of people in the UK mad.
if you're in the UK and aren't mad at Brexit then you either ain't paying attention to the state we're currently in, or are one of those fortunate few to be making bank off it.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

stryke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:21 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:51 am Brexit made a lot of people in the UK mad.
if you're in the UK and aren't mad at Brexit then you either ain't paying attention to the state we're currently in, or are one of those fortunate few to be making bank off it.
I dunno, I think there are still a fair few who argue all is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows in the sky. I mean, it's easy to have a clear sky to watch rainbows when the cars can't run because of a fuel-supplying shortage and trucks can't either, because of not having nearly enough HGV-drivers and reduced traffic and general pollution due to not being able to export half your products or any fish at all.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 pmI dunno, I think there are still a fair few who argue all is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows in the sky.
I'd put those lot in the category 'of not paying attention'.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

stryke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:49 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 pmI dunno, I think there are still a fair few who argue all is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows in the sky.
I'd put those lot in the category 'of not paying attention'.
Nah, they are just environmentally minded. The UK has a much easier time to reach it's climate goals now, after all. All part of the plan.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I'm an American so I am just watching Brexit with curiosity.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

These last two episodes were really good.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

These last two episodes were pretty close to Star Trek standard.

I hope the show doesn't do what the Orville did and try to be a "serious" show that has some jokes. I much prefer it as a comedy primarily.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

I think we'll still get a fair amount of comedy, but for the season finale they wanted to swing for some extra drama.

And damn, that was a good finale. Season 3 can't come early enough.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Even a comedy needs serious moments to help ground things and make those funny moments hit harder. What makes Lower Decks works is it's the day to day operations of a Starfleet ship without the filter of the bridge crew's priorities. That means heavy stuff will happen as well and this demonstrates it hits the rest of the crew as hard as the senior staff. And, frankly, Lower Deck's approach is more capable of playing things straight than Orville.

But wow did they cram this finale. We have Tendi being assigned to a more scientific role meaning she'll join the others in the field more often as well as having a presence on the bridge. We get a peek into Rutherford's past (and he should invest in an external hard drive, fix all his problems). We got to see how cetaceans on a starship would work (fun fact, the Trek novels speak of a sapient cetacean race who are said to be the best navigators in the galaxy). We saw what a starship looks like without its outer hull. Yet, with all this and more, the story felt well paced with everything spending the right amount of time on screen.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Not necessarily. I don't see any reason to believe that the issues won't be transitory in the long run, and if we're getting pressure for wages at the lower end of the scale to increase (and labour shortages for the basics seem to be one of the issues we're currently facing, albeit not a unique to the UK one) then that's good.

Issues like gas prices that remaining in the EU might've sheltered us from reveal some of the results of lack of internal foresight and planning, not being able to hide the government's shortcomings behind EU membership is also a good thing IMO.