I hear a Babylon 5 reboot is in the works

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: I hear a Babylon 5 reboot is in the works

Post by Yukaphile »

Because it is everywhere and obnoxious and the big corporations are merely doing it to score political points, not for the right reasons, to be creative. Plus it tosses aside REAL diversity from the past. While not a Blade fan, look how many idiots FORGOT him due to deceptive marketing and political benchmark tests all when Black Panther came out. There you go.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

J!! wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 am I am intrigued and cautiously optimistic.
I am going to third this as my short answer.

My long answer. JMS is doing this, he has to use new actors for glaringly obvious reasons. So if he has good creative control and keeps the parts that worked best previously. Then this may be awesomely outstanding. If he is interfered with too much then things could be bad.

The pillars I hope he manages to cast for are G'kar, Londo, and Vir. Each had their own charisma and power to them. Vir was my favourite, basically a nice guy everyman. That looked Satan's minion in the eye and asked for the minion's head on a pike so he could wave at it. He might be cowed by his mother. But he knew what evil was.

Recapture that lightning and I will love it. And honestly, really don't care what skin tones they use except for the one or two location locks. Ivanava. You have to use Garibaldi though, just the way that name rolled off Londo's tongue was worth a smile.

As for the cgi. . . There is quite a bit of praise for the Starfury and getting space right. Clean it up a bit with lighting and textures. But the design was fine.

So those are my short and long opinions.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I just find it hard to think they can do it. Look, when I see most actors in modern remakes, I see children dressing up for Halloween, not real actors. Look at Superman Returns, to name one example.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:09 pm They've wanted a female Doctor since the 1980s. I like it, as a concept. Same way I like going with the original concept for Delenn, as a trans person. Especially since I've always seen Jadzia as a trans allegory the straights can approach on their own terms. I doubt that original concept is going to be executed well, however, to the point it does actual trans representation a severe disservice since it's gonna be hamfisted AF to try to shove "you're awful because you're a transphobe" down your throat, and yet look at abusive parents giving their kids hormone therapy, like estrogen for boys and testosterone for girls. KIDS CAN NEVER BE TRANS. Ever. Kids are not sexual and do not think in those terms unless they've been molested, and whoever does that should burn. But I think if they wanna go with the surgery, great, and parents should try to be supportive - but they need to be informed adults to make the decision, not children. You need that perspective of at least a greater maturity than adolescence or pre-adolescence. But merely noting that you should NOT give kids hormone therapy is what gets you labeled transphobic these days by the reactionary Twitter hate mobs, rather than admitting you want them to be of a legal age of informed consent and to understand fully the consequences. Do you think that's going to be in any way good? Doubt it. Especially since Twitter in this day and age is to the big corporations what the religious preachers of the 1990s were. I said that a while back.
Giving children transition hormones is not A Thing. Not in the US or any Commonwealth country, anyway. The most children get is puberty blockers to stop them suffering through the wrong puberty, because the wrong puberty does irreversible damage (you can't undrop a voice for example, and training to compensate is a huge pain in the ass and might require surgery). If when they get older they find out they were wrong all they have to do is go off them and the worst they'll suffer is a late puberty. It's done that way precisely because letting an adolescent make that decision would be massively irresponsible.

Also knowing your gender and "being sexual" have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. Kids are smart enough to know boys and girls are treated differently, and to think they're in the wrong category.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm Giving children transition hormones is not A Thing. Not in the US or any Commonwealth country, anyway. The most children get is puberty blockers to stop them suffering through the wrong puberty, because the wrong puberty does irreversible damage (you can't undrop a voice for example, and training to compensate is a huge pain in the ass and might require surgery). If when they get older they find out they were wrong all they have to do is go off them and the worst they'll suffer is a late puberty. It's done that way precisely because letting an adolescent make that decision would be massively irresponsible.

Also knowing your gender and "being sexual" have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. Kids are smart enough to know boys and girls are treated differently, and to think they're in the wrong category.
Don't waste your time, this is someone who, when I asked if there would be an option to play Revan as non-binary Yukaphile decided to complain about how the Internet is evil and should be purged from the world and made another post about how humanity should just hurry up and die. Either they have a seriously mental health issues or they're just looking for attention. Either way they're not listening to anything anyone has to say unless it lines up with their view point. Yukaphile who won't change the subject and won't change their mind. I'm sorry I even encouraged them in this discussion because I thought they would actually be open to talking only to be reminded that they are impossible to deal with unless you're agree with them.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The world is genuinely depressing and modern entertainment in general is subpar. Everyone admits this. EVERYONE. Even people who LIKE new content. Even anime is far from its glory days where it's now mostly lolicon, slice of life, and isekai. Sure, I can always go to the past to find great content. New worlds to explore. That's great. But what about the future? When will the damn paradigm shift again? At the rate things are going, it feels as if it's going to be decades, if ever, and I have been a huge proponent of public domain in the past. As it stands, I think copyright extensions that hinder creative freedom are likely to get worse, not better.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Winter wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:44 am
hammerofglass wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm Giving children transition hormones is not A Thing. Not in the US or any Commonwealth country, anyway. The most children get is puberty blockers to stop them suffering through the wrong puberty, because the wrong puberty does irreversible damage (you can't undrop a voice for example, and training to compensate is a huge pain in the ass and might require surgery). If when they get older they find out they were wrong all they have to do is go off them and the worst they'll suffer is a late puberty. It's done that way precisely because letting an adolescent make that decision would be massively irresponsible.

Don't waste your time, this is someone who, when I asked if there would be an option to play Revan as non-binary Yukaphile decided to complain about how the Internet is evil and should be purged from the world and made another post about how humanity should just hurry up and die. Either they have a seriously mental health issues or they're just looking for attention. Either way they're not listening to anything anyone has to say unless it lines up with their view point. Yukaphile who won't change the subject and won't change their mind. I'm sorry I even encouraged them in this discussion because I thought they would actually be open to talking only to be reminded that they are impossible to deal with unless you're agree with them.
Was playing to the audience if I'm being honest. I freaking hate that myth.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:47 am The world is genuinely depressing and modern entertainment in general is subpar. Everyone admits this. EVERYONE. Even people who LIKE new content. Even anime is far from its glory days where it's now mostly lolicon, slice of life, and isekai. Sure, I can always go to the past to find great content. New worlds to explore. That's great. But what about the future? When will the damn paradigm shift again? At the rate things are going, it feels as if it's going to be decades, if ever, and I have been a huge proponent of public domain in the past. As it stands, I think copyright extensions that hinder creative freedom are likely to get worse, not better.
You have repeatedly stated that you watch very little new entertainment, judge anything before it is even out and have ignored anyone's counterarguments because of the first two points. You say you hate new things but go into little to no detail, blame issues on people or groups who, more often then not, have nothing to do with said issue and bring up the past as if it was always better without going into detail.

To sum this up you are the embodiment of a phrase that was said in Dragon Age: Inquisition "They will stand in the fire and complain that it is hot.". If being on the internet is so awful for you, leave it. If you don't like people, go someplace where you won't need to interact with them. Go on a vacation, see the world or whatever brings you joy and comfort.

No one is keeping you here, you can leave whenever you want. I've talked about TDST a few times but I haven't re-watched them in a while and for the most part I haven't talked about them that much in the last few months and even with how flawed they are I would still be open to a sequel to TDST with the characters from that film. Why? Because Star Wars has gone through a number of ups and downs over the years and this is no different.

And there are many stories released in the last few years that I would count as good or great. Frozen, Raya and the Last Dragon, Amphibia, The Owl House, Gravity Falls, DuckTales, God of War, Horizon Zero Down, Dreadnought, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, The Witcher 3, Witcher on Netflix and many more coming out that I'm looking forward to.

Of course, this is going to go right over your head because it doesn't line up with your world view and since you've made it clear that you won't watch anything new and will only go on about how anything new is bad before it's even gone into production.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

For older IPs, I'd like to get involved in them these days. But it is not a safe landscape to DO it in.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

A confession. Practically EVERYTHING related to Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general now just, to me, radiates around a central thesis, which is my feelings for the Legends timeline. Sneer at me all you want, behave like the typical jocks bullying a nerd, I DON'T CARE. What kinda world is it where passionate requests for more books, literature, when the publishing industry is already doing so badly and reading as a recreational pastime is an all-time low in today's hyper-paced world, just asking for that... is sneered off? Mocked? Tossed to the side? I don't want to choose between what I headcanon or one part of one timeline, and thanks to Lucasfilm's gross incompetence, the lines of canon are blurring even worse than they have been in the last seven years. We're heading to a total canon implosion. Why should I care? Disney is allegorically burning books for ideological reasons. Don't you dare claim it doesn't sell well. That's a loser's excuse. Word of mouth and zero advertising gets it the high numbers. Saw this for Marvel 108 and Heart of the Jedi. And yet they still want to encourage headcanon while chasing mainstream casual fans. Feh! Whatever. My whole worldview of opinions on Hollywood has formed around that. That these people are soulless sharks you should NEVER trust, and every year that opinion is further affirmed as right. It's hardening my heart more and more as time passes. When your dream is more books and that gets a firm "REJECTED," don't tell me this world isn't damned cruel and disgusting and that Disney isn't one of the worst things in Hollywood now.