KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC REMAKE!!! YES!!!

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Beastro
Captain

Re: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC REMAKE!!! YES!!!

Post by Beastro »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:18 am I still need to get around to playing this one. I've heard good things about it.
It's ok and a standard Star Wars story. The main issue is it's a bloody annoyance to get through the first part before the game finally opens up and you become a Jedi. Every time I've wanted to replay it it turns me off.

The amusing thing is it's not as annoying at the opening of KOTOR 2, but because it's such a typical Star Wars story, there was less incentive for me to put up with it to get to the good parts.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

If you wanted to play as the male light side character that later entries treat as canon I'd honestly just watch Chuck's review/Let's Play series. It's pretty exhaustive, hits all the highlights, and skips over the tedium.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

One thing I wanna bring up. Being a PS5-exclusive, and with their cost (a THOUSAND fuckin' dollars, really?) and the worsening economy, I think sales for the remake are gonna be low. I mean, the EU communities I'm part of already aren't particularly gung ho about this, but then once it's out and sold to the few buyers that can afford to play it, you're going to get word of mouth before most people can even buy their own PS5, which is why the story group is all so mum on whether this is Legends or the Disney timeline, being extremely careful in what they say and how they say it. Same old Disney management, just assume it's going to sell well due to branding label and history without working hard to earn it. But the initial word of mouth will turn people away, or at best convince them, "eh, it sounds average (like FF7), the original is better, why should I want to buy it?" And that's already a built-in excuse to turn it around and blame the customers for why it is not selling. Blame them for being bigots because Lucasfilm is staffed by political activists who are too big to fail. Money is secondary to them with Disney's coffers at their disposal. Keep in mind, it could have, what is it, like TLOUII? Four million copies shipped. Doesn't mean four million copies SOLD if it's gonna rot on shelves. But no one's going to listen to me anyway, so I'll be back when it's out.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Look at the recent essential Legends reprints, blah, blah, blah, with the most BORING covers possible. What books are they, that they could choose to bring into a modern era? Oh, the Darth Bane novels, Shatterpoint, Thrawn, blah, blah, blah... already books they know will do well, so it's not a real risk. How about YOUNG JEDI KNIGHTS reprints for a new generation of kids? Jedi Apprentice? Jedi Quest or Junior Jedi Knights? That alone could revitalize interest in some damned good stories. They are not doing that since they still think we're drooling, inbred hicks who can't possibly understand a damn thing they think and feel because they sold their souls to Satan years ago. Why are the X-wing books being reprinted? Ah, the Rogue Squadron movie a year from now! Of fuckin' course. And look at all the rumors for TV shows we hear. Darth Bane, Mace Windu - novels being reprinted. They STILL want the literature to coast off the damned TV shows and movies! KOTOR is gonna be retooled to fit into High Republic, even if it's just some minor High Republic easter eggs like it was in later Old Republic updates (with easter eggs to Rogue One). The Kenobi novel by John Jackson Miller? Oh yeah, that's being reprinted for the OBI-WAN show. Just... bleh. It's shameless and pathetic. Cronyism and narcissism and nepotism and smug arrogance at its worst. These people can all go to hell.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They do not care about EU fans! Older fans or the classic era fans. We don't even put a dent in the mass-marketed casual mainstream consumer base. They can afford to ignore you because at the end of the day, that's not what game they are in. It is not profits, but gaslighting.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dude, please please please explain this theory to your therapist next time you see them.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

If they don't care as much about EU as you claim why would they have a game, is it possible that most of the rest of the EU isn't as popular to non fans as you think it does.