Breaking Down JMS' Tweets on the Upcoming Babylon 5 Reboot

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Breaking Down JMS' Tweets on the Upcoming Babylon 5 Reboot

Post by TGLS »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:30 pm Batman: The animated series is a adaptation not a reboot.
Reboots are adaptations, though they don't usually have the problem of moving from one format to another.

--

There's a continuum for adaptations. On one extreme, you're redoing scenes almost exactly as done in the source material. On the other extreme you're taking the premise and nothing else. There are merits for nearly any position along this continuum.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:51 pm Should I bring up powerful lasers can create ozone in an oxygen atmosphere? Nah. Besides, it ignores the not solving the cause of the problem anyways.

Anyway, back to Babylon 5. I wonder if B5 will be more O'Neil-like (like the colonies in Mobile Suit Gundam). About the only thing that made it an O'Neil cylinder was that it was hollow and cylindrical. Also, will we get more shots of the internal environment?
So looking up the O'Neill cylinder on wikipedia, how is B5 not one? He seems to have had a few designs.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

TGLS wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:11 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:12 pm What's Superman supposed to do about Climate Change?
Kill all the industrialists who are pumping all the CO2 into the atmosphere. :twisted:

OK, we all know that Superman wouldn't do that.
Which is why he's marching. Even if he could remove half the CO2 from the atmosphere, it doesn't makes sense to do it before stopping it at its source.

Though, Climate Change is one of those issues that doesn't make sense in comic universes where Earth is in contact with advanced alien races. They would share clean technology such as functional fusion power and the manufacturing techniques and materials for building efficient and cost effective batteries and fuel cells. Gumby had a story where aliens arrived on Earth to offer their clean tech to help us deal with our pollution problems.

Which I can bring back to B5. In the episode Lenier ended up building Garibaldi's bike, he added an Minbari propulsion unit. I now want to see a Minbari motorcycle. A motorcycle is one of those pieces of technology that is probably universal (like Sweedish meatballs).

EDIT: O'Neill cylinders have large transparent sections to allow in natural sunlight. Also, B5 is tiny compared to the original proposal.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Should the actor on b5 use cgi or make up.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:30 pm Batman: The animated series is a adaptation not a reboot.
The difference is only if the product is still ongoing.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

You know... Or we could consider this B5 series the equivalent of nuBSG. Time frame gap is almost the same.

But yeah Yukaphile, nu BSG is and always was garbage. Nowhere near as perfect as the original Battlestar Galactica.
I got nothing to say here.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:29 pm Reboots are very often better than the original.

Need me to prove you wrong in three words if you disagree?

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES.

Sometimes they take what is best about a property and distill it.
THAT WAS NEVER A REBOOT. What defines it as a reboot? What, because the campy, Adam West type OLDER CARTOONS merely existed? Unfair analogy. Those were never in the same universe as BTAS. How about 2004's Flight of the Phoenix remake? THERE is the proper definition of soulless modern reboots. You were never going to be able to replace Jimmy Stewart. Never. And that's ignoring modern-day politics like with the Ghostbusters reboot of 2016. Look at 1997's 12 Angry Men. God knows I hold a soft spot for it, but come on - CLASSIC ACTORS. From the golden age of Hollywood. You're never going to top or replicate them, ever. As much as I love Jack Lemmon or George C. Scott. I do agree it gave us something interesting in adding more POC and in making the bigot a black man. But isn't it kinda racist to make HIS racism for racial reasons? Like, lol. Just proves my point, reboots are RARELY better than the original. And now they want to remake Flight of the Navigator and the Short Circuit films. Where does it end? Field of Dreams? Who Framed Roger Rabbit? The Cat From Outer Space? WHERE? At least they won't touch Back to the Future. The two Bobs have admitted it.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Al-1701 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:03 am
TGLS wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:11 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:12 pm What's Superman supposed to do about Climate Change?
Kill all the industrialists who are pumping all the CO2 into the atmosphere. :twisted:

OK, we all know that Superman wouldn't do that.
Which is why he's marching. Even if he could remove half the CO2 from the atmosphere, it doesn't makes sense to do it before stopping it at its source.

Though, Climate Change is one of those issues that doesn't make sense in comic universes where Earth is in contact with advanced alien races. They would share clean technology such as functional fusion power and the manufacturing techniques and materials for building efficient and cost effective batteries and fuel cells. Gumby had a story where aliens arrived on Earth to offer their clean tech to help us deal with our pollution problems.

Which I can bring back to B5. In the episode Lenier ended up building Garibaldi's bike, he added an Minbari propulsion unit. I now want to see a Minbari motorcycle. A motorcycle is one of those pieces of technology that is probably universal (like Sweedish meatballs).

EDIT: O'Neill cylinders have large transparent sections to allow in natural sunlight. Also, B5 is tiny compared to the original proposal.
He has a billion powers at his disposal he could use! This doesn't honor the lore or the past, just turns him into one of YOU people - an SJW. That being said, since this is Jon Kent, not Clark Kent, I could buy it if it was a younger, rookie Superman. Problem being we've SEEN younger rookie Supermen who hauled a galaxy's worth of planets on a chain across the universe. Yeah. He can do anything the plot demands, but he can't stop climate change at the source? Yeah, many previous iterations of Superman could and would. And oh, btw, they've ditched "the American way" for him. Why are the new liberals so ashamed of being Americans?
Last edited by Yukaphile on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 am You know... Or we could consider this B5 series the equivalent of nuBSG. Time frame gap is almost the same.

But yeah Yukaphile, nu BSG is and always was garbage. Nowhere near as perfect as the original Battlestar Galactica.
I still need to see both. But I agree. I wish I could just wait and let everyone here be disappointed on their own, but just wait - they'll find reasons not to listen to me when I can strut my victory dance and take a well-earned "I TOLD YOU SO." So I'm getting ahead of the curve on this.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:46 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 am You know... Or we could consider this B5 series the equivalent of nuBSG. Time frame gap is almost the same.

I still need to see both. But I agree. I wish I could just wait and let everyone here be disappointed on their own, but just wait - they'll find reasons not to listen to me when I can strut my victory dance and take a well-earned "I TOLD YOU SO." So I'm getting ahead of the curve on this.
The fact that you admitted not to seeing either of original or nuBSG in validates what you just said. Especially with people like you who said the same things you have said.

Starbuck female! God damned political correctness.*

*before being called woke, it was political correctness that pissed off stone age thinking people.
I got nothing to say here.