Breaking Down JMS' Tweets on the Upcoming Babylon 5 Reboot

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Breaking Down JMS' Tweets on the Upcoming Babylon 5 Reboot

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I don't like political correctness, so I don't see your point.

It invalidates it for now. It's on my list. My list is just giant. Someday, I'll have the greater perspective.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:57 am Well, I don't like political correctness, so I don't see your point.

It invalidates it for now. It's on my list. My list is just giant. Someday, I'll have the greater perspective.
So basically you would have not liked the Starbuck character in nuBSG. In the original the character was male, and in the new one the character was female.

Guess what? You would have been a stereotype.
I got nothing to say here.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:57 am Well, I don't like political correctness, so I don't see your point.

The great irony in your last sentence though.
I got nothing to say here.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I never said that, now did I? Merely that I hate political correctness. And as the other users on the forum will be so keen to tell you, I cannot talk about what I haven't seen. In a vacuum, I'm neutral on both. Though NuBSG looks too dark for me. I generally like grimbright, not grimdark.

I know next to nothing about the production or shows. Someday I will. I can tell you the PC experiences I do hate as a fan, but all the others will go out of their way to invalidate my feelings there, so nvm. One day, as I said, I'll be able to understand the shows well enough to discuss them, like Stargate and B5 now. Not so for BSG.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:29 pm Reboots are very often better than the original.

Need me to prove you wrong in three words if you disagree?

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES.

Sometimes they take what is best about a property and distill it.
THAT WAS NEVER A REBOOT. What defines it as a reboot? What, because the campy, Adam West type OLDER CARTOONS merely existed? Unfair analogy. Those were never in the same universe as BTAS. How about 2004's Flight of the Phoenix remake? THERE is the proper definition of soulless modern reboots. You were never going to be able to replace Jimmy Stewart. Never. And that's ignoring modern-day politics like with the Ghostbusters reboot of 2016. Look at 1997's 12 Angry Men. God knows I hold a soft spot for it, but come on - CLASSIC ACTORS. From the golden age of Hollywood. You're never going to top or replicate them, ever. As much as I love Jack Lemmon or George C. Scott. I do agree it gave us something interesting in adding more POC and in making the bigot a black man. But isn't it kinda racist to make HIS racism for racial reasons? Like, lol. Just proves my point, reboots are RARELY better than the original. And now they want to remake Flight of the Navigator and the Short Circuit films. Where does it end? Field of Dreams? Who Framed Roger Rabbit? The Cat From Outer Space? WHERE? At least they won't touch Back to the Future. The two Bobs have admitted it.
It's a reboot because it's not the same continuity as the previous one. Ta Dah.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:34 am It's a reboot because it's not the same continuity as the previous one. Ta Dah.
Honestly, the best thing to do with Yukaphile right now is just mute them. They're just going to continue to argue with anyone and everyone they can no matter what because they're a troll and the best way to deal with trolls is to just ignore them.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That is troll logic. Not a reboot. Just reflecting the cultural shifts of the time, that's what it is. It was never marketed as a reboot nor an attempt to be a blatant, shameless remake.

You know what, though? I bring up a valid point and get dismissed, so, you know, fuck you too, Winter. God, really growing to hate this place, but I can't get out of it.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You know what? Go ahead, TGLS. I'll take that permaban. I HATE THIS PLACE. I would much prefer a break, but what can you do? I need to disconnect.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

On the actual topic, I'm cautiously optimistic where I wouldn't be in most cases specifically because JMS had such an unusual degree of control over the original and wrote most of the episodes himself. An alternate take on the same setup by the same author sounds fun.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:35 pm On the actual topic, I'm cautiously optimistic where I wouldn't be in most cases specifically because JMS had such an unusual degree of control over the original and wrote most of the episodes himself. An alternate take on the same setup by the same author sounds fun.
Same here and with shows like Sense8 JMS has shown he's still got it as that show was great. :)