Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The Mary Sue site discussed the "angry mob=Trump" comparison.

Even there, a lot of posters (myself included) pointed out, "Michael Myers is a child-killing psychopath. It isn't actually a bad idea to get people to stop him."
bull705
Redshirt

Post by bull705 »

I'm genuinely puzzled Leslie Jones defends this disaster. Her character is a one note racial stereotype I'd expect to see in Michael Bay's Transformers movies. If Paul Feig believes he wrote a "breakout" character when he wrote Patty I have to seriously question his racial opinions.

Also, what was the point of Annie Potts' cameo? The WDYW quote doesn't work without her saying it in an exasperated manner after saying "Ghostbusters!" before it and her conversation voice sounded like a stealth tribute to her former Designing Women co-star Dixie Carter.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

bull705 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 am I'm genuinely puzzled Leslie Jones defends this disaster. Her character is a one note racial stereotype I'd expect to see in Michael Bay's Transformers movies. If Paul Feig believes he wrote a "breakout" character when he wrote Patty I have to seriously question his racial opinions.

Also, what was the point of Annie Potts' cameo? The WDYW quote doesn't work without her saying it in an exasperated manner after saying "Ghostbusters!" before it and her conversation voice sounded like a stealth tribute to her former Designing Women co-star Dixie Carter.
All of the original cast cameos from what I understand were forced by the studio. Which is why Murray half assed his.

One point I keep wanting to add but keep forgetting is that all of the jokes act like there is supposed to be a laugh track after each joke. Like was there ever a reason to keep McCarthy's scenes with the dumplings? In any movie that would be cut as it adds literally nothing.
I got nothing to say here.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:31 am The Mary Sue site discussed the "angry mob=Trump" comparison.

Even there, a lot of posters (myself included) pointed out, "Michael Myers is a child-killing psychopath. It isn't actually a bad idea to get people to stop him."
The issue is the mob gets at least one person killed as they break into a psych ward and start attacking the patients, cus they're no better than a psychopathic serial killer in their eyes.

As RLM pointed out, the way they act is on the level of a Simpsons mob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HcVmJrkbo
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Beastro wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:59 am
Nealithi wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:59 am I have seen the Brady Bunch
It's been AGES since I watched it, but it worked because it effectively mocked the TV show in much the same way the Venture Bros made took the piss out of 60s-70s kids shows.

The issue is the mob gets at least one person killed as they break into a psych ward and start attacking the patients, cus they're no better than a psychopathic serial killer in their eyes.

As RLM pointed out, the way they act is on the level of a Simpsons mob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HcVmJrkbo
But Venture Bros was an original show doing that mocking. Not taking the brand itself and doing so. This is equivalent to taking Star Trek and putting in all the Saturday Night Live skits while calling it a serious Trek movie. That is basically a middle finger to fans.

My one question on mobs. And I mean incited mobs not crowds of people. How intelligent does the angry frightened herd act?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Terribly stupid.

Michael Myers is a 6 ft tall killing machine they have seen the actual face of. The guy they kill is obviously...not.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Beastro wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:26 pm It's been AGES since I watched it, but it worked because it effectively mocked the TV show in much the same way the Venture Bros made took the piss out of 60s-70s kids shows.
Yes, the Brady Bunch movies were full of loving mockery, with equal emphasis on both parts. If you were only interested in one, the movie would be terrible.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Beastro wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:26 pm Snip
What made Alien work is that the script was written for no one is particular. Riply character could have been male and still worked. Even in the sequel could have worked if Riply was a male and as a father missed his daughter. Though you would have reworked the Marine (what's his face) as Newt's adopted father and mother angle the movie did have.

In the first two Terminator movies outside Sarah obviously being female to be the mother of John, reference to her sex was nonexistent. No mention that she is weak because she is female, over emotional because she is female or any of those stereotypical stuff you might see. She is a character, a strong one at that who just happens to be female.

And the thing with them we saw their flaws. We saw their weaknesses, we saw them fail.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:59 am
Beastro wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:26 pm Snip
What made Alien work is that the script was written for no one is particular. Riply character could have been male and still worked. Even in the sequel could have worked if Riply was a male and as a father missed his daughter. Though you would have reworked the Marine (what's his face) as Newt's adopted father and mother angle the movie did have.

In the first two Terminator movies outside Sarah obviously being female to be the mother of John, reference to her sex was nonexistent. No mention that she is weak because she is female, over emotional because she is female or any of those stereotypical stuff you might see. She is a character, a strong one at that who just happens to be female.

And the thing with them we saw their flaws. We saw their weaknesses, we saw them fail.
And this is balanced out by also having strong, balanced, heroic men. Everyone is catered to. Compare and contrast to The Last Jedi where all the male characters (according to the script) are evil (the First order) cowardly (Finn, Luke) or closed-minded reactionary fools (Poe). Also compare and contrast to Ghostbusters where the male characters are rude, cowardly, bimbos, or closed-minded.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Dear Hecate please don't drag Star Wars into this.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville