Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by Frustration »

Which is why I don't judge based on a trailer, or the opening episode alone.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

youtu.be/WmumGjQanZs

First episode is on Youtube.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Episode 2:
How to describe it best... oh I know:
The first 40 minutes were good even if there were some typical NuTrek dumb stuff (yet another character with stupid tragic backstory, this time Uhura; sketchy mathematics; lazy MCU-like banter; again, deflectors don't exist, because they have to create tension somehow), but the last 10 minutes completely lost me.

So apparently shields can now not only radiate heat, but radiate enough heat that they can sublime a good chunk of a comet... well, I sure can think of at least 100 times that would have been useful in the past. Oh, and somehow a tiny shuttle can produce that much heat, yet it's still not detectable from the enemy, even though earlier it was able to detect the away team on the asteroid. And yet the shuttle slightly heating the comet's "nucleus" is apparently enough that the comet changes its trajectory, and the sublimed water from the comet somehow is enough to turn the arid near-desert planet into a watery planet? That comet would have to be the size of a small ice moon to release that much water, and from the ready room scans and a line about "a fraction of Earth's gravity" means that the comet was tiny. Meaning that everyone from the writers to the SFX artists screwed up. Also, all that water vapor being dumped in the planet's atmosphere at once capable of causing a planet-wide rain? That would have wrecked the atmosphere and I have no doubt that it would have lead to biblical floods, Lord knows how many people died when the lower plains were turned into seas.

And then, apparently this was all foretold, predicted, there's even an image of a chunk of comet that was foretold millennia ago and coded in "music". Apparently somehow the comet civilization is capable of predicting the future, and set the comet on its predestined course. Everything that happened here had to happen. Why? Don't know. How? Don't matter, they're not gonna revisit this story again. At least in DS9's "Destiny" the "prophecy" was the work of the Prophets because those guys really perceive time differently than we do.

Funny enough, what happened in the last 10 minutes reminds me of this CH video:

youtu.be/q7R5B77iYXo
CH were making fun of Lindelof here, but it's amusing to see how similar Kurtzman and Goldsman are to Lindelof, I have a feeling that all three (four if you count Orci) have exchanged notes in the past.

I don't know how to rate this episode. The first 40 minutes would be 8/10, but the last 10 minutes lower its score to 5/10. A good story taken down by shitty and lazy cliches.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I'm not sure that a machine being able to look into the future is that strange.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

For an interesting perspective, JAMMER of Jammer's Reviews has generally given Nu Trek 1-2 star ratings for the entire run with 3 as his highest accolades (for Lower Decks "Three Ships").

However, he's given Strange New Worlds 3 and 3 1/2 stars.

So he sees substantial improvement.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

It looks like Jammer gave 3 1/2 star reviews to "Into the Forest I Go", "The Sound of Thunder", "Die Trying", "...But to Connect", "Species Ten-C", "The Impossible Box", "Nepenthe", "The Star Gazer", "Crisis Point", "wej Duj", and "Kobayashi", and he gave "If Memory Serves" four stars. Since his star ratings are out of 4, that's a decent number of very good reviews. He's not too stingy with the 3s either.

Looking at the summary, his averages appear to be:
Discovery season 1: 2.73 / 4
Discovery season 2: 2.79 / 4
Discovery season 3: 2.5 / 4
Discovery season 4: 2.65 / 4

Picard season 1: 2.7 / 4
Picard season 2: 2.4 / 4

Lower Decks season 1: 2.3 / 4
Lower Decks season 2: 2.7 / 4

Prodigy season 1: 2.67 / 4

Not sure if I'd really agree with these numbers (Discovery's pre-timejump seasons being better than the later ones, really?), but overall he seems pretty consistent, almost as if he's following Chuck's "all scores relative to their series" rule.

He also seems to give better scores at the beginning of seasons than in the end (other than Lower Decks, understandably). He gave the first two eps of Picard season 2 3.5 and 3 stars respectively. So this seems pretty in line with all that.

(aaaand I realize probably no one is going to care about any of this. but if any place on the internet seems like an appropriate place to vent my nerdy need to conduct pointless research, seems like it'd be this one :P )
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

To give a planet the same amount of water as Earth on the same size as Earth, a comet would have to be about 900 miles in diameter.

Ceres is the largest asteroid that isn't a moon, at like 550 miles.
I got nothing to say here.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I actually like this show. Character work is solid, dialogue is fun and lighthearted without being annoying, actors are good, NuSpock is inoffensive, and this episode's A plot was less stupid than last week.

The best of NuTrek. I'm really pleased.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Anyone really convinced nuSpock feels like Spock?

Quinto Spock is different enough to Nimoy Spock but does feel familiar.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:00 am It looks like Jammer gave 3 1/2 star reviews to "Into the Forest I Go", "The Sound of Thunder", "Die Trying", "...But to Connect", "Species Ten-C", "The Impossible Box", "Nepenthe", "The Star Gazer", "Crisis Point", "wej Duj", and "Kobayashi", and he gave "If Memory Serves" four stars. Since his star ratings are out of 4, that's a decent number of very good reviews. He's not too stingy with the 3s either.

Looking at the summary, his averages appear to be:
Discovery season 1: 2.73 / 4
Discovery season 2: 2.79 / 4
Discovery season 3: 2.5 / 4
Discovery season 4: 2.65 / 4

Picard season 1: 2.7 / 4
Picard season 2: 2.4 / 4

Lower Decks season 1: 2.3 / 4
Lower Decks season 2: 2.7 / 4

Prodigy season 1: 2.67 / 4

Not sure if I'd really agree with these numbers (Discovery's pre-timejump seasons being better than the later ones, really?), but overall he seems pretty consistent, almost as if he's following Chuck's "all scores relative to their series" rule.

He also seems to give better scores at the beginning of seasons than in the end (other than Lower Decks, understandably). He gave the first two eps of Picard season 2 3.5 and 3 stars respectively. So this seems pretty in line with all that.

(aaaand I realize probably no one is going to care about any of this. but if any place on the internet seems like an appropriate place to vent my nerdy need to conduct pointless research, seems like it'd be this one :P )
Thanks for the numbers!