Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

Post by Worffan101 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:56 am Not that hard of a concept to say:

'Kelpians evolved on their planet due to the high abundance of the E' verplen'ti and E'verla'st plants that grow fast on their world and is a super dense form of nutrition to the species'.

There you go.
Where is the energy that makes these plants physically possible coming from?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:31 am

'Kelpians evolved on their planet due to the high abundance of the E' verplen'ti and E'verla'st plants that grow fast on their world and is a super dense form of nutrition to the species'.

There you go.
Geothermal energy. More powerful sun. Being parasidical to other plants. Carnivorous plant that eats small prey.

But I do enjoy that now you are getting into the minutiae.

Next, we will talk about the Founders. I assume you hate them even more than the Kelpians right?
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I admit I don't take Star Trek science too seriously. I prefer my Trek to be wild, Pulpy, and silly with green skinned women and space gods.

It's why I love Peter David's NEW FRONTIER and TOS over TNG.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:50 am I admit I don't take Star Trek science too seriously. I prefer my Trek to be wild, Pulpy, and silly with green skinned women and space gods.

It's why I love Peter David's NEW FRONTIER and TOS over TNG.
I get that. Not everyone requires everything to make 100% sense or close to it as possible.

There are sites out there that do the very thing of figuring out these sort of things that Trek presents.

Got to remember that writers have constraints. They don't have the time to world build from that one script they are writing for an episode. It's not a novel.

'Oh they should have thought of it before the series premiered'

None of the Trek series went deep into the back stories of species or characters put into the show. 99% of it was made up off the cuff that week. And they went from there. Just look at how consistent a character is from season 1 and then how they ard in later seasons.

In a fictional series with fictional aliens and fictional worlds and fictional technology with fictional everything, we are seriously trying to apply Earth rules on how evolution works in a fictional universe?
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:41 am

There you go.
Geothermal energy. More powerful sun. Being parasidical to other plants. Carnivorous plant that eats small prey.

Next, we will talk about the Founders. I assume you hate them even more than the Kelpians right?
The Founders' biology is nonsensical but it's not dwelled on. Also it's clearly just fantasy and not the attempt (by an illiterate hack) to be realistic that the Kelpiens are.

Again, Chuck's sports analogy from that one review. There's "I beat my whole team at football", and then there's "I kicked nine home runs while playing rugby for the San Diego Chargers." Likewise, there's "I'm a blob who can shapeshift and teleport because shut up and don't ask" and then there's "my species are sapient cattle and are still farmed by bad aliens, but also we grow up to be super-lions that eat the wolves who farm us".
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:41 am

There you go.

The Founders' biology is nonsensical but it's not dwelled on. Also it's clearly just fantasy and not the attempt (by an illiterate hack) to be realistic that the Kelpiens are.

Again, Chuck's sports analogy from that one review. There's "I beat my whole team at football", and then there's "I kicked nine home runs while playing rugby for the San Diego Chargers." Likewise, there's "I'm a blob who can shapeshift and teleport because shut up and don't ask" and then there's "my species are freesapient cattle and are still farmed by bad aliens, but also we grow up to be super-lions that eat the wolves who farm us".
We got seven years of Odo and his species. It's makes no sense because science fiction. Literally seven years of it. So many episodes about it. Odo has go to into a bucket when he can't hold his firm any longer. So much is explained over the years about him. His evolution? No one bats an eye about it.

Now come the Discovery species Saru and there is that question of how an alien species evolved being vegetarian?

See the problem is that it's not that hard to figure out a science fiction answer to your issue. But you refuse to do that. Using real world media produced understanding of how human evolved, you apply it to a fictional species on a fictional world, with fictional food, in a fictional view of the galaxy, in a fictional view of the future.

Let's talk about how Bajorans and Cardassians can reproduce without medical aid.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:43 am
Worffan101 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:41 am

There you go.

Again, Chuck's sports analogy from that one review. There's "I beat my whole team at football", and then there's "I kicked nine home runs while playing rugby for the San Diego Chargers." Likewise, there's "I'm a blob who can shapeshift and teleport because shut up and don't ask" and then there's "my species are freesapient cattle and are still farmed by bad aliens, but also we grow up to be super-lions that eat the wolves who farm us".
We got seven years of Odo and his species. It's makes no sense because science fiction. Literally seven years of it. So many episodes about it. Odo has go to into a bucket when he can't hold his firm any longer. So much is explained over the years about him. His evolution? No one bats an eye about it.

Now come the Discovery species Saru and there is that question of how an alien species evolved being vegetarian?

See the problem is that it's not that hard to figure out a science fiction answer to your issue. But you refuse to do that. Using real world media produced understanding of how human evolved, you apply it to a fictional species on a fictional world, with fictional food, in a fictional view of the galaxy, in a fictional view of the future.

Let's talk about how Bajorans and Cardassians can reproduce without medical aid.
Were the intricacies of Founder biology ever intended to be taken seriously in a "this could totally happen IRL" context?

The Founders are fantasy. They are TREATED as fantasy. Saru's species is treated like illiterate moron Alex Kurtzman fancied himself the new Heinlein.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I don't think anyone has treated the Kelpians as any more fanciful than anything else in the setting.

They just went with the idea of an intelligent prey species, which I really wish they'd gone into more.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Kelp is actually not a plant, it's an algae. And it can grow quite fast and have high nutritional value. It does this with almost cell capable of photosynthesis and using its buoyancy to not need the structural support terrestrial plants do. Also, they provide a habitat for dense populations of aquatic life which contributes to a rich nutrient cycle.

And there are several species up there on the intelligence scale that are strict vegetarians. Elephants come to mind. So, if you have the nutrient sources, you can have a sapient species that is vegetarian. You just need natural forces to make intelligence beneficial, and predator avoidance can be just as big of driver as prey acquisition.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Jesse Gender discusses her opinion on the Nu Trek criticism vs. hatedom.

https://youtu.be/bFNeczZng8Y?list=FLfWm ... doA&t=1801