Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Al-1701 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:54 pm I point to the Occampa (is that how you spell it?). At least the Kelpian's biological eccentricities can be considered beneficial to their survival.
I should point out there's plenty of vestigial and non-beneficent evolutionary traits in human beings.

Evolution just means that something has successfully procreated consistently. All it really means is nothing has caused it to fuck up enough not to. There was a funny web comic where Charles Darwin points to X-men's apocalypse that he's "fitter" evolutionary-wise because he's had multiple children while Apocalypse hasn't (that we know of).

Mind you, the Ocampa only procreating once means they either have litters of puppies or the Caretaker had a cloning facility for them.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Al-1701 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:54 pm I point to the Occampa (is that how you spell it?). At least the Kelpian's biological eccentricities can be considered beneficial to their survival.
The Ocampa suck too. There's a reason Chuck rants about them a lot.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Ocampa with litters? Unlikely. Not enough mammary glands to feed the young reliably.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Do we know how long the Ocampa are pregnant? I wonder once they go into that weird super fertile phase, they can pump out babies left and right.

Missing that phase means they will never be pregnant again. So maybe, being pregnant extends that phase longer, get pregnant again in short order etc.

Or the Caretaker really messed them up somehow for population control.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:02 pm Ocampa with litters? Unlikely. Not enough mammary glands to feed the young reliably.
1/3rd of women in RL can't produce enough milk naturally to feed their babies. So this is actually true to life. Formula is something we've evolved for now.

Cows and corn both are genetically dependent on humans. The Ocampa being so on the Caretaker isn't unbelievable.

I mean, I would totally read a book set on the Caretaker's world and we find out that it's this enormous high tech facility caring for these incredibly poorly evolved/mutated beings. Hell, I'd do an episode on it and it would have the Doctor going, "Listen, it's against Federation law, but FUCK Federation law. These guys need some genetic engineering to fix all their crap."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

The Founders.

Let's see here. We have an episode where we see what happens when Odo doesn't go back into his liquid shape. He starts to look like the Female Changeling when she was extremely ill.

We saw what happens to Odo when the Founders most likely just by themselves, when they destabilize his solid state. Linking with the Female Changling temporarily relieved him

The Great Link was able to make Odo solid like a human. But a dying baby Changling was able to revert Odo back to his shape-shifting form.

We saw between Odo and the Female Changling when they are sick. We are told repeated shape-shifting accelerates the disease.

That temporal planet where the Defiant crashes affected Odo until he was later able to figure out how to shapeshift on the planet.

Vague talk about what the Great Link is and how effects Odo. Even there is a suggestion that the Founders we see are almost like Avatars for the Great Link.

We have who knows many examples of someone probably Bashir talking about Odo's biology.

We have enough information due to seven seasons of DS9 on Odo and his species. He isn't a one off species from some one episode to never be seen again.

Sure, Odo us just fantasy.

But those Trills! Right! I mean they gotta be awesome right? Afterall they are not a Discovery species right?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:13 am
Madner Kami wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:02 pm Ocampa with litters? Unlikely. Not enough mammary glands to feed the young reliably.
1/3rd of women in RL can't produce enough milk naturally to feed their babies. So this is actually true to life. Formula is something we've evolved for now.

Cows and corn both are genetically dependent on humans. The Ocampa being so on the Caretaker isn't unbelievable.

I mean, I would totally read a book set on the Caretaker's world and we find out that it's this enormous high tech facility caring for these incredibly poorly evolved/mutated beings. Hell, I'd do an episode on it and it would have the Doctor going, "Listen, it's against Federation law, but FUCK Federation law. These guys need some genetic engineering to fix all their crap."
Corn is different from cows. Corn in its natural form is obviously different from what we eat now. GMO and everything.

Cows are different. The modern day cow is dependent on humans just as much as the modern day turkey that is served at Thanksgiving. They are bred for human consumption.

The wild cow if they still exist would be entirely independent of humans and only made for their own survival.

Ocampas we don't know what they were like before the Caretaker though you could assume they might be like those we saw from that episode with his mate.

Maybe there was a truth in that.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:24 am But those Trills! Right! I mean they gotta be awesome right? Afterall they are not a Discovery species right?
I mean, I don't go to Star Trek for realism in species. It's about humanity today not aliens in the future, horta aside.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:13 am
This is environmental more than genetic. Typically, breast milk supply adjusts to demand, with a few outliers (hyperlactation syndrome exists but is pretty rare, underlactation due to issues other than stress and an unsupportive environment is similarly pretty rare). Source: My grandma has been a lactation consultant for decades.

Formula isn't a biological evolution, it's a cultural development.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Baby formula is usually a convenience to free women from the burden of lactation.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984