Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by McAvoy »

I think the asylum was meant for those 'augments' that were unstable.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Frustration wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:44 am That was for breaking the law. Bashir wasn't sent to an asylum.
There's a very real question about Bashir's fate during all this.

However, Number One's fear is being driven out of Starfleet for lying about being human. Still, Ron Moore was very cynical whenever he wrote the Federation in DS9.

Also, the violence she suffers is at Laan's hand because she feels that Augments are monsters due to her ancestor being Khan (also being affected by the plot thing but I didn't think that would drive her to attack Una).
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:53 am
Frustration wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:44 am That was for breaking the law. Bashir wasn't sent to an asylum.
There's a very real question about Bashir's fate during all this.

However, Number One's fear is being driven out of Starfleet for lying about being human. Still, Ron Moore was very cynical whenever he wrote the Federation in DS9.

Also, the violence she suffers is at Laan's hand because she feels that Augments are monsters due to her ancestor being Khan (also being affected by the plot thing but I didn't think that would drive her to attack Una).
If I recall it was for I think two years and on New Zealand. I remember because that was where Paris was before Janeway got him.

I am assuming he freed at the end of his term. Which would have been shortly before the war.

They let Julian stay in Starfleet. His father only got two years and he most likely wasn't locked up in some cell either.

They don't even have the Not So Merry Augment people locked up but in a facility probably not far removed from a mental hospital.

This is of course totally ignoring that episode in TNG season 2 where Pulaski started to rapidly age due to some major genetic engineering.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:18 am
This is of course totally ignoring that episode in TNG season 2 where Pulaski started to rapidly age due to some major genetic engineering.
Yeah, no one brings up it's illegal but it illustrates that genetic engineering is done by morons in the Federation.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Some more thoughts on Episode Three:

I think one of the most interesting things about the ending isn't even the fact that Una nicely subverts the "everything is good, emotional problems resolved" ending Star Trek tends to have about characters. Una saying, "I'm one of the good ones" as a way undercutting the situation is both true to life and highlights the issue. It's also the fact that it shows how prejudice and systemic racism (genetic engineering bans here) destroy personal relationships.

I 100% believe Pike does not give a crap about Una being an Illyrian and his reaction if this had come out the day before would be identical--possibly because he feels immortal but not at all because Una saved his ship. He's always been half in love with her from "The Cage" but know Pike is also the Paragon Shepherd of the setting before Captain Kirk. At least from DISCO onward. However, Una can't allow herself to be comfortable with that and allow herself to trust the person that probably cares for her most. Because that way can burn you.

It's really tragic if you ship them like Beverly Crusher not believing Captain Picard that he has her back always.

I also like the bait and switch with La'an. She's someone who has gone ALL IN on trying to assimilate to the greater culture to the point that she considers Augments to be monsters. Her ancestors either had their own genes degraded or they lost that over generations of interbreeding. Her fighting Una was basically like Wolverine fighting Scrappy Doo and that was good visual storytelling. It wasn't even a contest. Una just was playing keep away the entire time. It's a way of illustrating people dealing with generational trauma.

Doubly so the accusation Una was lying due to the fact she "passes" as a human being.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Oh and STRANGE NEW WORLDS is the highest watched show on television except for Our Flag means Death

https://www.thewrap.com/top-new-shows-p ... ans-death/
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I can't judge episode 3 because i'm too gratified that they took the same approach to augmentation that I did in my fanfic.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:14 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:18 am
Yeah, no one brings up it's illegal but it illustrates that genetic engineering is done by morons in the Federation.
I would place that episode by itself. Since alot of episodes since then contradicts it.

One thing about Bashir that bothered me is how did anyone not know? Assuming entering Starfleet Academy is anything like entering the military there will be extensive tests. Add in 24th century magic technology, you would think they would detect something different about Bashir.

Doctors still need doctors too. They make the worse patients they say. Bashir has never had a physical done by another?

I guess we could assume that part of his enhancements is that it will look normal under scans. I guess Richard Bashir got the premium package.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

I think his legal records were sealed, and his physicians have to maintain confidentiality. There aren't a whole lot of reasons for anyone other than a doctor to closely examine someone's DNA. So I'm confident that there were people in Starfleet who knew who and what Bashir was, but it was sort of like Witness Protection relocation - the information would be controlled and not available to most people.

It may have been a reason why Bashir was assigned to a border position, beyond his expressed desire to do "frontier medicine". In fact, that may have been an excuse. He may have been sent to a backwater because of concerns that commanding officers would be prejudiced against him - or because the higher-ups in Starfleet wanted him out of sight and out of mind.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do wonder how the federation would deal with a. Culture where genetics mutation like Bashir are extremely common place.