Series you want Chuck to review to watch him blow his top

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Series you want Chuck to review to watch him blow his top

Post by McAvoy »

Ghostbusters 2015. Only to see how he would react to the comedy in the movie.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Part of me think he would actually just be annoyed and bore by it.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Every time he does a bad comedy he spends half the review talking about how hard it is to find anything entertaining to say about failed jokes.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I don't know if he wil blow his top but want to see the reason of disco.
SpikePrime
Redshirt

Post by SpikePrime »

Winter wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:16 pm Mass Effect 3
Rise of Skywalker
The Last of Us Part 2
Please Teacher
The Predator
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Wonder Woman 1984
What's your beef with TLOU2? From what I recall it was received very positively for the most part.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I might be the only one, but I don't find Chuck as funny when he's genuinely upset. Like he was with Kannazuki no Miko or the rapey Atlantis episode.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

SpikePrime wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:59 pmWhat's your beef with TLOU2? From what I recall it was received very positively for the most part.
This is either bait, or consider yourself blessed that whole thing went off as unpleasantly as it did, and you missed it entirely :D
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

stryke wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm
SpikePrime wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:59 pmWhat's your beef with TLOU2? From what I recall it was received very positively for the most part.
This is either bait, or consider yourself blessed that whole thing went off as unpleasantly as it did, and you missed it entirely :D
Very positively by reviews, rather in opposition to everyone else wasn't it? Rather like Mass Effect 3 in that regard (have to say I've not played either TLOU game though).
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

SpikePrime wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:59 pm
Winter wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:16 pm Mass Effect 3
Rise of Skywalker
The Last of Us Part 2
Please Teacher
The Predator
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Wonder Woman 1984
What's your beef with TLOU2? From what I recall it was received very positively for the most part.
Actually the reception was more mixed by fans but I cannot speak for anyone but myself and for my own opinion this is game is a mess. It's 4 sequels crammed into one package with little to actually connect them beyond a few characters, locations and events. Lev is a flat character who is defined solely by him being trans who is there more to for Abby's character then for his own which is not helped by the fact that the game repeatedly deadnames him and makes his life a living hell even by the standards of TLOU universe.

Ellie is hugely unlikable, all the people she's hunting that we're suppose to feel some level of sympathy for are cheaters, liars and have admitted to kill kids and are planning on killing an entire group of people (a violent cult but still) down to every man woman and, again, child.

Than there's Abby and her story and unlike others I don't think Abby is that bad and her story is at least decent but here's the problem, her story with Lev is just a retread of the first game. A cynical person goes on a journey with a kid who helps them rediscover their humanity.

It doesn't help that the game favors Abby, the cisgender character with a biological father, over Ellie, the lesbian with an adoptive father. Look at how the game frames Ellie over Abby in terms of actions.

Abby only killed Joel and her revenge only hurt Ellie and she let her and Tommy live while Ellie killed several people which included a pregnant woman while Abby will later spare the pregnant Dina. And just to drive that point home Ellie kills dogs while Abby never does. But to pull this off the game tries to distract us from some key details. One, everyone of Abby's friends that Ellie killed was all in self-defense or in the defense of others, two the aforementioned child killer thing and three Ellie was so horrified by the fact that she killed a pregnant woman (who Ellie only killed because she was defending herself) that she abandoned her quest for Revenge on the spot.

Oh and Abby was going to kill Dina when she was AWARE that she was pregnant and was going to do so with a smile ONLY sparing her because of Lev. And then there's also the question of whether Mel's baby was even alive because this game mistakes pregnancy for a superpower as she does things while, at least, 5 or 6 months pregnant. The things Mel does likely already messed up the baby as ANYONE who has been pregnant can tell you that pregnancy is NOT A SUPERPOWER! Just listen to Chuck's stories about when his wife was pregnant or about when his sons were born and then go watch or play TLOU2 and see how little the developers understand pregnancy.

It doesn't help that there are hints of a game that likely would have been universally loved in this game which is the flashbacks with Ellie. Imagine playing a story of Ellie growing up as she and Joel grow apart due to his actions at the end of the last game only for them to start to reconnect that tragically ends with his death and the game ends with a lingering question if Ellie will go to seek revenge of not.

Or just have that all take place in about and hour and a half of the game and focus on a cast of characters that I don't even like (though I don't hate any of them (besides Owen fuck that guy)) and it just feels like a step down in quality from the first game. And here's the twist, I'm not even that big of a fan of the first game. I think it's great but I don't love it like I do other games in my library as I personally enjoyed Tomb Raider: A Survivor is Born more then TLOU1. I don't think TLOU2 is even that bad as a standalone game as it does have some great levels, solid acting from the whole cast, great cinematography and enjoyable gameplay. I'm honestly disappointed that going pron and dodging won't be included in the remake for part 1 (I also think the 70 price tag is to much but that is out of Naughty Dogs hands so I won't hold it against them).

TLOU2 is kinda the Dragon Age 2 of ND. It's a game filled with a hugely unlikable cast, contrived plot points and a rather lackluster ending. It wasn't helped by ND flat out lied to the fans during the pre-release to the game by saying that Joel wasn't going to be killed and even included a shot of him in the trailer for the game that were just their to fool us. I hate it when creators do that, little white lies (like what was done in Avengers: Endgame) is fine but this is a full on lie because fans had correctly guessed the twist so the developers lied and KEPT lying until the game was released.

There's a lot in this game that I just don't like and at the end I felt so... disappointed. I was disappointed of the game's refusal to explore the fallout of Joel's actions and how it effect the world and his relationship with Ellie. I'm disappointed of the games treatment of the LGBT characters by falling back onto many tired cliches that are harmful instead of trying to subvert those unwanted tropes. And I'm disappointed because it could have been better. I wish, that this game was more then what we got.

But that's just my opinion.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Plus this seems tiny compare to winter but from what I am told the ending is indulgently longer than it need be.