Star Trek: Prodigy

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Prodigy

Post by Frustration »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:51 pm Needs to be more than that to be properly labelled as a computer - a caclulator isn't a computer for example.
You missed the part where I said the input can change the calculation they perform. A 'programmable calculator' IS a computer. So is a neuron.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:15 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:51 pm Needs to be more than that to be properly labelled as a computer - a caclulator isn't a computer for example.
You missed the part where I said the input can change the calculation they perform. A 'programmable calculator' IS a computer. So is a neuron.
There's more to that to be a computer. A neuron is not a general purpose device that on its own can do anything, given enough time and access to storage. Don't accuse me of missing anything.

A lot of neurons together could be described as a computer, individual ones, no.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 am There's more to that to be a computer.
Nope. You are incorrect.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:10 am
Riedquat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 am There's more to that to be a computer.
Nope. You are incorrect.
I am not. You have only stated some, not all of the features needed to be considered a computer. Without filling in the rest of the list your reply is meaningless. For one, how is branching and control to be achieved? Remember this has to be self-contained, not as part of a network of other neurons. The program must be stored too, no manually entering every instruction yourself.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:42 pm I am not. You have only stated some, not all of the features needed to be considered a computer.
Nope. It performs calculations according to the instructions given to it.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:11 pm
Riedquat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:42 pm I am not. You have only stated some, not all of the features needed to be considered a computer.
Nope. It performs calculations according to the instructions given to it.
Which, as I've pointed out, is not the entire definition of a computer. For example, the Colossus machine built for codebreaking in WWII could do different operations depending upon how it was set up, but is not strictly speaking a computer since it was not a completely general purpose machine, which is the real definition of a computer these days.

For something to be a computer it has to be able to run a general purpose program (storage limitations being an acceptable limitation, although the strict definition of Turing complete requires unlimited storage, obviously not a practical proposition). So as well as being able to perform whatever calculations it's set up for it needs to be able to manage program control, e.g. branching, and be able to both access and modify storage, including using the results of that changes to memory. It has to be able to execute more than it is just set up to do too (simple example - a program that generates some source code, then compiles that and executes it).
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:14 ambut is not strictly speaking a computer since it was not a completely general purpose machine\
You don't know what you're talking about, and I have no intention of indulging you further.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:18 am
Riedquat wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:14 ambut is not strictly speaking a computer since it was not a completely general purpose machine\
You don't know what you're talking about, and I have no intention of indulging you further.
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

If you're going to accuse someone of not knowing what they're talking about then if you don't actually provide any counter-arguments (and so far all you've done is repeat the same simple point and bleat on "I'm right, you're wrong") it rather gives the impression that you don't actual have any. Why on earth should anyone believe that you know what you're talking about? Should be easy to give a factual rebuttal if you did, rather than resorting to evasion and insult.

Failing to engage and respond meaningfully is not indulging someone BTW.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

So I just found out that Okona was voiced by the original actor. I really do like how Lower Decks and Prodigy are going the extra mile for voice acting.

Also of note is the size of the ship: It is small. Maybe just as tall as the Defiant, though somewhat longer. Even with the small size it does feel like a decent sized ship which also play into the fact it can work with a small 5 person crew.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Also, the Dauntless class ship that Adml. Janeway is piloting here seems to look exactly like the fake "USS Dauntless" from "Hope and Fear," including the name, the slipstream drive, everything. Not sure how that makes sense in-universe, but hey.