The next Star Trek film may be directed by...

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.

Do you think Quentin Tarantino would make a good director for a Star Trek film?

Yes
27%
No
32%
Maybe
41%

Total votes: 22

Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: The next Star Trek film may be directed by...

Post by Draco Dracul »

As a fan of both Star Trek and Quentin Tarantino I'm optimistic.
PlasmaHam
Redshirt

Post by PlasmaHam »

My issue is not whether or not a Tarantino Star Trek film would be good in a cinematic sense, because it probably will be. My issue is that how much of a Star Trek film it would be. I know Tarantino is a big fan of Star Trek, so that is a plus, but none of his prior films are really Star Trek-ish, if you get what I mean. And his want for an R rating also worries me.

I'm not a Star Trek purist by any means either, I think that the 2009 film and Beyond are quite good. But there should still be a Star Trek feeling to the films, and I'm not sure Tarantino can pull that off. But hey, you gotta admit it would still be cool to see one of the most influential and famous directors of the last 20 years directing a Star Trek film.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

PlasmaHam wrote:I know Tarantino is a big fan of Star Trek, so that is a plus, but none of his prior films are really Star Trek-ish, if you get what I mean.
He also never made a western before Django Unchained.
Last edited by Karha of Honor on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

Agent Vinod wrote:
PlasmaHam wrote:I know Tarantino is a big fan of Star Trek, so that is a plus, but none of his prior films are really Star Trek-ish, if you get what I mean.
He also never mader a western before Django Unchained.
Which is still a Tarantino film with all the Tarantinoisms.

Like I said, he can't do any worse than the current crater of creative bankruptcy Trek finds itself in. But let's not pretend that any Tarantino Trek wouldn't be obviously his style.
I could see him making something along the lines of Renegades. Definitely not anything with a regular Federation crew. Well unless it were the band of misanthropic psychopaths in Discovery.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Morgaine wrote:Which is still a Tarantino film with all the Tarantinoisms.

Like I said, he can't do any worse than the current crater of creative bankruptcy Trek finds itself in. But let's not pretend that any Tarantino Trek wouldn't be obviously his style.
And I'll reiterate: go watch 'Jackie Brown' on Netflix to see Tarantino adapt a popular work without resorting to the usual Tarantinoisms. Elmore Leonard loved it.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I did like Jackie Brown a lot, it's my favorite Tarantino film. What concerns me is:

1. He doesn't just make movies he makes Tarantino movies. If feel that style would be better suited to Star Wars than Star Trek.
2. The closest he's gotten to making sci-fi before would be what is in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, which is to say not at all.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Robovski wrote:I did like Jackie Brown a lot, it's my favorite Tarantino film. What concerns me is:

1. He doesn't just make movies he makes Tarantino movies. If feel that style would be better suited to Star Wars than Star Trek.
2. The closest he's gotten to making sci-fi before would be what is in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, which is to say not at all.
AbramsTrek worked with Star Warsy Star Trek at least in the box office well enough for a trilogy.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

What kind of a story is needed? Look at The Wrath of Khan - a naval battle wrapped in Shakespearean drama, widely thought to be the best Star Trek movie. Now consider the naval thriller Crimson Tide, which Tarantino ghostwrote.

If this is indicative of the quality of storytelling that may ensue, there's little to worry about. But they may be putting the shoes on the wrong feet here, locking in Tarantino for the director's chair and shopping around for the screenplay. Tarantino is brilliant as a screenwriter, but a highly idiosyncratic director.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

His films are peculiar, yes, but! Tarantino is a master of it's craft. He knows what makes a movie work and what not and he is perfectly capable of understanding that a Star Trek Movie doesn't need a black and white sequence with Picard swordfighting Jon Travolta on a dance-floor, while some japanese band plays in the background. He knows that Star Trek needs a different approach. Stop pretending that Tarantino can only do Tarantino-movies, because he's proven that he can do different and do different very well to top it off.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

PerrySimm wrote:What kind of a story is needed? Look at The Wrath of Khan - a naval battle wrapped in Shakespearean drama, widely thought to be the best Star Trek movie. Now consider the naval thriller Crimson Tide, which Tarantino ghostwrote.
I had no idea he wrote Crimson Tide; that's another very good data point in his favor.