Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
m4a2000
Officer

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by m4a2000 »

The best moment of the episode was the lights coming on.

OH MY GOD I CAN SEE THE SET AGAIN!

Hey, set designers, we want to see the bridge! Switch out the mood lighting and I will be 47% happier.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It was pretty bold of them to build up to the all of them sitting together at the table so gradually. It's nearly the season finale, and it's mostly been 1-2 with each other, gradually introducing more people and seeing more and more each episode.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

LOL!!

I love this. So you know how a few pages ago I claimed that PIC's only reason to exist seems to be to bring back characters from the other shows just to kill them off?

Bye Shelby!
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Man not all of that worked, but those last couple of minutes... Wow, amazing how just having cgi of a ship powering up can get you right there.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The Queen's den looked downright sloppy. Just terrible cable management.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:25 am LOL!!

I love this. So you know how a few pages ago I claimed that PIC's only reason to exist seems to be to bring back characters from the other shows just to kill them off?

Bye Shelby!
I don't think people are watching the show to weigh in on CBS's handling of the Star Trek IP. I don't see much anybody aside from a few people here complaining about this season.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:22 pm

Bye Shelby!
I don't think people are watching the show to weigh in on CBS's handling of the Star Trek IP. I don't see much anybody aside from a few people here complaining about this season.
1) Apart from those huge paragraphs of complaints you mean?

2) You and I clearly watch different Youtube channels. The opinion of PIC for many people is ''slightly better''. Just as ENT S4 was ''slightly better''.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:02 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:22 pm

Bye Shelby!
1) Apart from those huge paragraphs of complaints you mean?

2) You and I clearly watch different Youtube channels. The opinion of PIC for many people is ''slightly better''. Just as ENT S4 was ''slightly better''.
Right I don't pay attention to the countless channels following RedLetterMedia's approach of complaining about idiosyncrasies while RedLetterMedia itself and the Rotten Tomatoes Audience is taking it worlds more seriously than the last two seasons.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I'm honestly surprised those channels and SFDebris have any viewership overlap at all.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

The Borg... it's the fucking Borg... again... sigh
So... why were the Changelings even needed? Like, yeah, they can infiltrate better or something, but... shouldn't someone notice that the transporters were being tampered with, that someone introduced a trojan in the basic indexing of the transporter pattern system? Weren't they only like 10 Changelings in total? There were others apparently? How many? Tens? Hundreds? Well, where are they now? No one on the Titan is even worried that there might be Changelings on the Frontier Day to stop them, it's like they don't exist anymore. And when did the Changelings had time to meet with the Borg? Especially when you consider that the Flesh Changelings were trying not to draw attention to themselves, for obvious reasons.
Also, how the hell didn't Beverly not find out about Picard's genetic altering by the Borg? Surely someone would have came across that, given how NuTrek made Starfleet's obsessed with genetic purity. Even if they only learnt about it later, surely they would have contacted Picard to recheck his DNA. I mean, they were already able to detect the genetic tampering caused by the Darwin 4 children's immune system around the time of Picard's assimilation, they should have seen something was new to his genetic code even at the time. I mean, when they removed all of his implants, they must have realized his body was reacting differently, since they were literally unplugging him.
But seriously, the biggest flaw in the Borg's plans is Jack. So they send Vadic to get him so they can finally activate their doomsday mind control machine. But, surely they had other ways of getting him besides aggressively hunting him down, right? He almost died multiple times. And if he did, the entire Borg plan would have went to shit. Why not just, I don't know, replace Beverly with a Changeling, stun him, then take him away? The only reason the plan worked is because Jack suddenly suffered from a serious case of Idiot Ball and decided to do something stupid. Also, of the Borg mind control only works on individuals younger than 25, how the hell was Jack able to control those two guards, they're clearly older than 25?
And then Shaw dies and I don't care.
And to top it off, we have finally reached peak memberberry by bringing back the Enterprise D. Sure, it was nice to see the old ship in HD (again), but I feel that after so many memberberries and references and lazy decisions, it just doesn't feel earned, it feels forced in. It's pretty clear they're going for a final TNG adventure with the Ent-D, and nothing else matters.

The reveals in this episode made me even more confused, everything is so convoluted and convenient, it just weakens the impact of the story.