Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
stryke
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by stryke »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:39 pm Speaking of Borg Queens, did they lose Jurati's number or something? Really seems like that's who you need to talk to.
Word of Shaw confirms that lot weren't this Borg aka the scary Borg, the Wolf 359/First Contact Borg, and were instead some weird offshoot seperate from the Collective that were under the Jurati Queen.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Oh. And here I though the excuse was that each season is a self-contained story.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

If you have to ask whether a certain thing occurs because they're maintaining continuity or they just made stuff up, it's almost certianly going to be the second case.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

stryke wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:00 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:39 pm Speaking of Borg Queens, did they lose Jurati's number or something? Really seems like that's who you need to talk to.
Word of Shaw confirms that lot weren't this Borg aka the scary Borg, the Wolf 359/First Contact Borg, and were instead some weird offshoot seperate from the Collective that were under the Jurati Queen.
Yeah but she can access the main collective's systems and plans via the "all queens across the multiverse are linked" bullshit that was half the plot last season.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

I guess everyone wants to forget season 2 ever existed. :lol:
But really, a couple of episodes ago when Picard, Shaw and Sever were frustrated that everyone they tried contacting ends up a Changeling, I keep thinking to myself: "Have you tried contacting Jurati? Maybe she might have an idea who is behind the conspiracy, it's not like she didn't work at the Daystrom Institute and might have a hunc... oh"

Also also, don't the Federation technicians ever check the transporters for any anomalies? The first time the transporter was used to alter one's genetics back in TNG, it should have raised massive red flags, because though this way one can genetically augment themselves, so you'd think the Federation would at least tighten the security around the transporter systems given their augment paranoia and all. Given how easy it was to modify the transporter in that episode, you'd think the Federation would keep a very close eye on any anomalies in the transporter system and have like an entire team of people scrubbing every single transporter system or line of software. Especially since, unlike say CRISPR and retroviral gene therapy, it can alter literally every single cell in one's body, without a chance of body rejection.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Mabus wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:07 am
I guess everyone wants to forget season 2 ever existed. :lol:
But really, a couple of episodes ago when Picard, Shaw and Sever were frustrated that everyone they tried contacting ends up a Changeling, I keep thinking to myself: "Have you tried contacting Jurati? Maybe she might have an idea who is behind the conspiracy, it's not like she didn't work at the Daystrom Institute and might have a hunc... oh"

Also also, don't the Federation technicians ever check the transporters for any anomalies? The first time the transporter was used to alter one's genetics back in TNG, it should have raised massive red flags, because though this way one can genetically augment themselves, so you'd think the Federation would at least tighten the security around the transporter systems given their augment paranoia and all. Given how easy it was to modify the transporter in that episode, you'd think the Federation would keep a very close eye on any anomalies in the transporter system and have like an entire team of people scrubbing every single transporter system or line of software. Especially since, unlike say CRISPR and retroviral gene therapy, it can alter literally every single cell in one's body, without a chance of body rejection.
Of course they didn't. If they can't figure out that they need to change their codes from time to time they're not going to figure that one out! The only bunch with worse security common sense than the Federation are the Kazon, with their line on the floor.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

That got me thinking. The Changeling on the Titan replaced the transporter technician. Perhaps they did that on every ship.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:19 pm That got me thinking. The Changeling on the Titan replaced the transporter technician. Perhaps they did that on every ship.
It would have been easier to do it in the big software update that added Fleet Mode. That database probably gets legitimate updates all the time, nobody would have questioned it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Can we just appreciate that this is about the TNG crew saving the day on the Enterprise-D?

Speaking of the D, my God they did a gorgeous job with the HD model. In the sneak peek of the finale they do an extended beauty shot that really shows it off. The detail through the windows. The life pods are numbered. The saucer's hull is even still scorched in areas from reentry.

Could we get a series of the D reentering service as Starfleet recovers from this? What better way of getting into brighter times than to see perhaps the most shining symbol of the Pax Federation back in space?
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:57 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:19 pm That got me thinking. The Changeling on the Titan replaced the transporter technician. Perhaps they did that on every ship.
It would have been easier to do it in the big software update that added Fleet Mode. That database probably gets legitimate updates all the time, nobody would have questioned it.
Any tech worth their weight would test any update first before rolling it out to the whole system. Also we see how much engineers in Trek like to tinker. A simple compare of original and new code would be enough for someone to start asking questions. it makes since for the changelings to replace the transporter tech on that alone.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.