Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

Post by CharlesPhipps »

In fact, in the recent THOSE OLD SCIENTISTS episode, Spock smiling scares the shit out of Boimler.

That's on now, early.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:29 amIn fact, in the recent THOSE OLD SCIENTISTS episode, Spock smiling scares the shit out of Boimler.
He wasn't alone. Every time Spock smiled scared me to the core.

This show had plenty of laughs and was shockingly good at some character development. Not sure how much of the will carry over to Lower Decks.

Have to hand it to the animators and VFX team ob this one with the open and ending scene. You can tell they were all having fun. Now if they had done a bit in the TAS style that would have been cool.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

This episode was a sheer dopamine and endorphin injection for me. What a rush.

For forty-something minutes I forgot what existential dread was. I kept pausing it because I got over-excited.

Love Jack Quaid's Boimler Scream. It was great seeing my favorite nerds nerding out. I especially love how much Mariner is a nerd in denial. "He dragged me there" indeed. 9_9 :P

Just the sight of the animation reignited a spark in me. I've missed them so much.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

It was a little TOO silly and a little TOO LD versus SNW but like .5 from a 10/10 to 9.5/10.

So many quotable lines:

"It's like a toddler knocking over furniture."

"Riker!"

"I was not prepared for how hot Spock was."

And so on.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

So now this LD bullshit is officially in the same continuity as the prime universe. The same continuity as The Warth of Khan, Best of Both Worlds, City on The Edge of Forever. There is no longer any fooling myself. Whenever I watch the best that this franchise has to offer, I know that this nonsense is right beside it. Its like what Linkara noted about the comic Identity Crisis, about how every heroic speech about standing up for what's right now has the mind rape of Batman in the background.

The destruction of this franchise is complete. Lol - and people thought that ENT and NEM were the lowest that this show could sink. Boy, you buggers back in 2005 had NO CLUE what was to come. You should have appreciated the relative brilliance that was Berman and Braga whilst you could.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 am So now this LD bullshit is officially in the same continuity as the prime universe. The same continuity as The Warth of Khan, Best of Both Worlds, City on The Edge of Forever.
This also being the franchise that brought us gangster planet, Nazi planet, The Trouble with Tribbles, being trapped in a James Ellroy novel (The El Royale), Star Trek IV, just about every holodeck episode, and other ridiculous but fun shit. But if you ever did watch LD, you'd note that it's not a sequel to Star Trek continuity itself but Star Trek: The Animated Series. Which among other things has the Devil, lesbian vampires, giant spock, and more tribbles.

I'm a DS9 fan but Lower Decks is my second favorite of the series. Its certainly better than 90% of Trek, including Enterprise and Voyager plus, yes, most of New Trek.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 am The destruction of this franchise is complete. Lol - and people thought that ENT and NEM were the lowest that this show could sink. Boy, you buggers back in 2005 had NO CLUE what was to come. You should have appreciated the relative brilliance that was Berman and Braga whilst you could.
Well somebody seems cranky. You act like this is the first time Star Trek has done anything silly.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 amSo now this LD bullshit is officially in the same continuity as the prime universe.
Do you not remember Code of Honor, Profit and Lace, Threshold, A Night in Sickbay, the backdoor pilot in TOS, hell SUB ROSA?!? All of those happened in the 'prime universe'. Frankly those have done more damage to the franchise when compared to Lower Decks.

Don't get me wrong, I have problems with LD, but it doesn't have the same level of BS as those episodes, or other series cough Discovery cough that make it a plight on one's mind to endure to watch.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:20 pm It's absurd for one man to be able to defeat more than one attacker simultaneously in general. However, it's part of the fantasy to be able to do impossible things like outrun explosions, gunfire, and take down small armies.
And I don't like that either, outside of works that are so obviously Fantasy that no suspension of disbelief is necessary.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:10 amThe Trouble with Tribbles
There is nothing wrong with The Trouble with Tribbles. It's a more lighthearted adventure, but it doesn't break the show's worldbuilding or have characters act out of character.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984