My Thougts on Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

My Thougts on Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Post by Winter »

youtu.be/sXE8LdXzeHM

This movie is WAY to long. It's about 2 hours and 44 minutes and it could have Easily been shortened down to 2 hours. There are MANY moments in this film where the movie is just spinning it's wheels and wasting as much time as it can to try and reach a near 3 hour mark.

Just as an example, the prologue. The Prologue to this film is about half an hour long whereas the other films prologues are about 10 or 15 minutes at most. Those prologues also tend to have a bit more action and spy stuff going on, just quick, BAM BAM BAM and we get the movie started.

But here? There's a LOT of moments where the film is doing nothing but exposition dumping, repeating said exposition we literally just heard or doing nothing at all and it just takes the fun out of it for me.

Like take the chase scene in Rome, this should be a fantastic chase but it just keeps dragging it's feet during so many moments. It's 10 minutes long and could have been cut down to 5 minutes or 7 at most but we get 3 to 5 minutes of the chase literally spinning its wheels and I just found it to be boring and I've NEVER felt that way about any other MI film I've seen which includes the second film. Honest truth I basically just stopped watching the film about 1 hour in because it was taking to long to get to the good stuff and the good stuff just wasn't up to the standards of the series.

Not helping matters is the film seems to be trying to go for more of a story focus and let's be honest Story is not the strength of these films. We go to see a MI film for the action and for me the action in this film just isn't all that engaging.

I'll try check out the rest later but right now this was a SLOG to just get through the first hour.