The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BBally81
Officer

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by BBally81 »

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:20 pm Here's a good video going into the subjects raised here if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6sAwS3Acg
Yeah, no.

I recommend people watch this video:

Sean Chandler Talks: 10 Reasons The Marvels Flopped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndF-e02s9yk&t=942s

Chandler actually does a better job explaining the situation.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Most people seem to agree that Iman Vellani (Kamala Khan) is the highlight of the film, with many stating how charming and likable she comes across.
Iman Vellani speaks out on The Marvels' box office:

"I don't want to focus on something that's not even in my control, because what's the point? That's for Bob Iger."

"I'm happy with the finished product, and the people that I care about enjoyed the film. It's genuinely a good time watching this movie, and that's all we can ask for with these films."
https://t.co/T0JbwxRbsy
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Hopefully Iman Vellani will find better projects in the future because Marvel/Disney don't seem to be doing her any favors.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I kinda wish they gave her a product where the stakes are lower so she can focus, no we have to rush her into one end of the world outcome to the another, where she has to play backseat.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

87% drop for The Marvels in week 2. Its opening weekend gross is $47 million domestic, $110 million with worldwide sales. Of particular note is how it only made $11.7 million in China whereas the first film made $89.3 million.

Edit: There also seems to be an interesting trend emerging. The MCU appears to be losing Gen Z. Less than a fifth of the audience was younger than Millenial. An interesting development given how Ms Marvel was clearly marketed towards the younger demo.

You may not agree with my opinions on why the movie failed but let's make peace and put that aside. This is disasterous for the MCU and Disney. The golden goose has been laying eggs made out of lead. And make no mistake, bringing back Hugh Jackman and RDJ is just a sticking plaster. They aren't getting any younger.

And for what it's worth I do agree regarding the girl who played Ms Marvel. She deserves another chance. It would be a shame for her career to end thanks to crappy writing.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:55 pm 87% drop for The Marvels in week 2. Its opening weekend gross is $47 million domestic, $110 million with worldwide sales. Of particular note is how it only made $11.7 million in China whereas the first film made $89.3 million.

Edit: There also seems to be an interesting trend emerging. The MCU appears to be losing Gen Z. Less than a fifth of the audience was younger than Millenial. An interesting development given how Ms Marvel was clearly marketed towards the younger demo.

You may not agree with my opinions on why the movie failed but let's make peace and put that aside. This is disasterous for the MCU and Disney. The golden goose has been laying eggs made out of lead. And make no mistake, bringing back Hugh Jackman and RDJ is just a sticking plaster. They aren't getting any younger.

And for what it's worth I do agree regarding the girl who played Ms Marvel. She deserves another chance. It would be a shame for her career to end thanks to crappy writing.
MCU came out in 2008 when Millenials were around the same age as the MCU is now to Gen Z. I am on the older side of the Millenials generation, as I was 24 when it came out.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:30 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:55 pm 87% drop for The Marvels in week 2. Its opening weekend gross is $47 million domestic, $110 million with worldwide sales. Of particular note is how it only made $11.7 million in China whereas the first film made $89.3 million.

MCU came out in 2008 when Millenials were around the same age as the MCU is now to Gen Z. I am on the older side of the Millenials generation, as I was 24 when it came out.
Aye. I just can't help but think that the MCU is a Millenial property just as Star Wars is a Gen X property. Oh, that doesn't mean everyone else cannot enjoy it, but I think that those moments where they had become our cultural zeitgeist was fuelled by those generations in particular. Now both have taken up their place as "just another thing" rather than being an event.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Hack culture wartubers are now LYING for cheap clicks.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BBally81 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:45 pm Image

Yeah. She seems nothing but polite so far. But you have to separate the good channels from the bad and that goes for every political opinion.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

BBally81 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:45 pm Image

They always have done, it's nothing new.