Replicated food vs real food

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Alasar
Redshirt

Re: Replicated food vs real food

Post by Alasar »

As I said it would be like pre packaged food or standardized ingredients. The difference between replicated food and real cooked food is the same as semi ready meals (everything in the pack to cook it yourself) and real cooked food with real ingredients. I don't really think it's a basic difference between bad synthesized food and good home cooked food. I think it is the difference between a synthesized meal=average cook and Sisko family cooked meal=incredible chef. I think the comparison made here is flawed.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think a lot of Star Trek fans are very fond of defending the super-tech but I take the view synthesized food is "instant" equivalent. It will manifestly be inferior to the real thing even if it'll do in a pinch.

Ditto synthehol.
Alasar
Redshirt

Post by Alasar »

Always though synthehol was the weirdest thing ever. Not because you didn't get drunk, I understand that in yuppiduppie Star Trek land. But the fact that it only replicates the taste. In my humble opinion, the taste is rather disgusting and I would prefer to get that out and leave the pleasant side effects in.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Alasar wrote:Always though synthehol was the weirdest thing ever. Not because you didn't get drunk, I understand that in yuppiduppie Star Trek land. But the fact that it only replicates the taste. In my humble opinion, the taste is rather disgusting and I would prefer to get that out and leave the pleasant side effects in.
I always figured synthehol just lowered the alcohol content so it would take more drinks than it should to get drunk. Either that or it's infused with a new compound that makes you act like a TNG character in a badly written episode.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Alasar wrote:Always though synthehol was the weirdest thing ever. Not because you didn't get drunk, I understand that in yuppiduppie Star Trek land. But the fact that it only replicates the taste. In my humble opinion, the taste is rather disgusting and I would prefer to get that out and leave the pleasant side effects in.
Well it doesn't get you drunk because you're on duty on a starship and apparently there's no decent substitutes for anyone.

In the novels, there's the statement synthehol DOES work like alcohol but can immediately be shrugged off.

Which is just taking the wish fulfillment a bit too far IMHO. I can buy replicators and faster than light travel but don't ask me to buy alcohol with no side effects.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Well, like any milita- er, exploration & research organization, I expect the crew to be distilling their own alcohol in every last crevice in the ship. And where no crevices exist, I expect them to create some.
Alasar
Redshirt

Post by Alasar »

Independent George wrote:Well, like any milita- er, exploration & research organization, I expect the crew to be distilling their own alcohol in every last crevice in the ship. And where no crevices exist, I expect them to create some.
Had some Russian torpedo bay distilled vodka once,

I agree.

Plus there's scotty....

There's a reason why the engineering bay in the new movies is a distillery.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Alasar wrote:
Independent George wrote:Well, like any milita- er, exploration & research organization, I expect the crew to be distilling their own alcohol in every last crevice in the ship. And where no crevices exist, I expect them to create some.
Had some Russian torpedo bay distilled vodka once,

I agree.

Plus there's scotty....

There's a reason why the engineering bay in the new movies is a distillery.
Scotty wouldn’t have to because in his day they were real men and didn’t have any of this namby-pamby synthahol stuff, it was all the real stuff.

Besides, if they were recalling Jonesing for some, we all know Bones uses booze as anaesthetic, so all they have to do is go into sickbay with a minor complaint. Actually...put like that, if alcohol was banned for day to day consumption, maybe that explains all the exploding consoles; the crew were rigging them to explode to have an excuse to go down to sickbay for ‘treatment’.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Dînadan wrote:Besides, if they were recalling Jonesing for some, we all know Bones uses booze as anaesthetic, so all they have to do is go into sickbay with a minor complaint. Actually...put like that, if alcohol was banned for day to day consumption, maybe that explains all the exploding consoles; the crew were rigging them to explode to have an excuse to go down to sickbay for ‘treatment’.
Or they were stashing their liquor inside the consoles, and it was catching on fire.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

The whole Synthehol thing is a gag joke gone too far. But then, it really would have to go too far to put Data behind the bar. It is still one of the classic moments, even though they went to the well twice in "Conundrum".

More puzzling is the Ten Forward staff being perfectly willing to serve one person TEN CHOCOLATE SUNDAES. Cleanup must really be a push-button effort.

"Not eating them is the cherry on top."
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K