Talks of WBD and Paramount merger

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Talks of WBD and Paramount merger

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I know.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:23 pm *sigh* I don't suppose Biden would consider enforcing the existing anti-trust laws we have on the books?
This issue is the courts. Even if the DOJ did, they would shop for a friendly judge knowing the current Supreme Court thinks corporations should be able to do whatever they want.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Dear gods this is miserable.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Paramount is a pretty small company in relative terms - only 9.77 billion. That may sound a lot but realise that WB is worth 27.48 billion and Disney is worth 166 billion. This is not a merger of equals. I don't think there will be any problem with anti-trust tbh.

Actually put like that you can see why Paramount would want this deal. Paramount Plus must be a right loser.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:24 pm Actually put like that you can see why Paramount would want this deal. Paramount Plus must be a right loser.
Odd, given they've got live football, last I checked. You would think that would boost numbers, at least short-term.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

This is just me but with the way WB is losing money on what seems like all their movies if I were Paramount+, I would avoid them since if WB tanks it would take Paramount+ with them.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Plus merging WB and discovery streaming Serv was a bad idea
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

sayla0079 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:38 pm This is just me but with the way WB is losing money on what seems like all their movies if I were Paramount+, I would avoid them since if WB tanks it would take Paramount+ with them.
Could be partitioned and sold off at any point. You're making the mistake of thinking long-term, when pretty much every management these days is working to maximize profit in the short term and monkeys themselves from pay-point to pay-point.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

That's the problem. When companies think short term they don't consider the positives and or negatives of if they do it long term. I saw a couple of other companies do this and it screwed them over.