Exosquad season one and two are back on Peacock

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
thisithis
Officer

Re: Exosquad season one and two are back on Peacock

Post by thisithis »

sayla0079 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:28 pm My point is many cartoons from the past while aimed at children will show grown-up themes. Some such as Exo Squad due it in a mature way while others such as Inhumanoids do it in a twisted way.
I know Inhumanoids. Just as the Turbo Teen transformation scene to me anyway is nightmare fuel, it's like someone took Ranma ½, and any body Horror by David Cronenberg and made it a kids-friendly cartoon. But anyway Inhumanoids happened because Hasbro didn't know what to do with a bunch of horror, action figures they had. So, the animation company that helped make Transformers and G.I.Joe just didn't understand the source material. Just look at the last few eps where a Monster wants to date the Statue of Liberty, and one of the good guys runs for President of the United States. Yes, it beat Exosquad in mature animated shows, but Exosquad had a story with well-rounded characters a plot, and some heartbreaking moments that made you cry. And not forgetting it was literally the first US animated show that was Japanese anime-inspired.

But if you ask most people what was the first US animated show that was Japanese anime-inspired they all point to Avatar the Last Airbender or Teen Titans. Both are great shows but not the first.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I love Exo Squad. I think it's a good cartoon that is trying to show children the message that war is not pretty.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

sayla0079 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:53 pm I love Exo Squad. I think it's a good cartoon that is trying to show children the message that war is not pretty.
show children? Before or after Neosapiens were created with no genitalia. Exosquad was made because Jeff Segal used to work for Hanna-Barbera before coming to MCA/Universal. But the late Michael Edens wanted to take the show a more mature route. but MCA/Universal just wanted to go a more different route with their animation. They thought Japanese anime wasn't going anywhere and wanted to fight Disney cartoons. Funny was Disney would later try their hand with a more mature animated show called Gargoyles.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

thisithis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:18 am Funny was Disney would later try their hand with a more mature animated show called Gargoyles.
Of course, that wasn't the intent at the start. Disney wanted a comedy show. It turned into something very different over the course of the show's development.

Source: Greg Weisman @ Station8
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:19 am
thisithis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:18 am Funny was Disney would later try their hand with a more mature animated show called Gargoyles.
Of course, that wasn't the intent at the start. Disney wanted a comedy show. It turned into something very different over the course of the show's development.

Source: Greg Weisman @ Station8
That makes sense, after leaving Hanna-Barbera for MCA/Universal he worked on Go-Bots and wanted to make another show attached to a toy line. Playmates even helped make Exosquad with Jeff Segal and the late Michael Edens, Playmates toys came a few months before season two started. No toy exists of Admiral Winfield, Captain Marcus, and the original Resolute. The Resolute toy that came out is the Resolute 2. You could make a toy of season two Captain Marcus just by getting a sandwich bag and tossing some dirt into it or better get some ash from a fireplace. But like I said the late Michael Edens had other plans on where to take Exosquad. He was also responsible for some of the best EP on the 92s X-Men: original animated series. 92s X-Men: The original animated series borrowed a ton of writers from Exosquad. And then gave them jobs after Exosquad was canceled.