What would you change about DS9

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: What would you change about DS9

Post by clearspira »

The problem I have with the Pah Wraiths and Kai Winn plotline is that I just don't buy she would turn to Satan any more than I buy Dukat becoming Satan's Emissary to burn the galaxy. Season 7 of DS9 is easily the worst written overall in my opinion because of it seeming to forget the previous characterisation of its principal characters. Nothing I have seen from Winn backs any idea that she would try to usher in the apocalypse for any reason - she cares about Bajor and its people in her own little xenophobic way.

"Those of you who were in the Resistance, you're all the same. You think you're the only ones who fought the Cardassians, that you saved Bajor single-handedly. Perhaps you forget, Major, the Cardassians arrested any Bajoran found to be teaching the word of the Prophets. I was in a Cardassian prison camp for five years, and I can remember each and every beating I suffered. And while you had your weapons to protect you, all I had was my faith… and my courage. Walk with the Prophets, child… I know I will.'' - Winn to Kira (DS9: "Rapture")
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:43 pm The problem I have with the Pah Wraiths and Kai Winn plotline is that I just don't buy she would turn to Satan any more than I buy Dukat becoming Satan's Emissary to burn the galaxy. Season 7 of DS9 is easily the worst written overall in my opinion because of it seeming to forget the previous characterisation of its principal characters. Nothing I have seen from Winn backs any idea that she would try to usher in the apocalypse for any reason - she cares about Bajor and its people in her own little xenophobic way.

"Those of you who were in the Resistance, you're all the same. You think you're the only ones who fought the Cardassians, that you saved Bajor single-handedly. Perhaps you forget, Major, the Cardassians arrested any Bajoran found to be teaching the word of the Prophets. I was in a Cardassian prison camp for five years, and I can remember each and every beating I suffered. And while you had your weapons to protect you, all I had was my faith… and my courage. Walk with the Prophets, child… I know I will.'' - Winn to Kira (DS9: "Rapture")
Too be fair, Winn did start a civil war because some farmers didn't like she was fucking with them and tried to destroy everything Bajor was doing in like... a day.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Post by hypocratus »

Winn also did try to have Bareil assassinated in the first season because it looked like he was going to be the next Kai. There is also the whole thing with the Circle in season two.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Have Jadzia die still but in the episode where Worf chooses her over the mission.

He STILL chooses her over the mission but she should die anyway.
clearspira wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:43 pm The problem I have with the Pah Wraiths and Kai Winn plotline is that I just don't buy she would turn to Satan any more than I buy Dukat becoming Satan's Emissary to burn the galaxy. Season 7 of DS9 is easily the worst written overall in my opinion because of it seeming to forget the previous characterisation of its principal characters. Nothing I have seen from Winn backs any idea that she would try to usher in the apocalypse for any reason - she cares about Bajor and its people in her own little xenophobic way.
I mean she's the Bajoran ultimate example of a Far Right politician. She hides behind religion and I have no doubt she'd become Satan if it was politically advantageous.

Dukat not being redeemed but going full insanity is something I'd buy but I don't think any Bajoran demons would find him useful.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I always took Winn's pretence of "But I suffered, too", to be fabricated bullshit for the sake of electability. She's the kind of personality who'd betray her own son to the Cardassians, if it got her anything she wanted. If there's anyone who's got "Treacherous Collaborator" written all over their face, it's her and I was not the slightest bit surprised, when The Circle was revealed to be Cardassian sock-puppets/stooges. T'was the natural modus operandi of all the traitors involved.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:25 am I always took Winn's pretence of "But I suffered, too", to be fabricated bullshit for the sake of electability. She's the kind of personality who'd betray her own son to the Cardassians, if it got her anything she wanted. If there's anyone who's got "Treacherous Collaborator" written all over their face, it's her and I was not the slightest bit surprised, when The Circle was revealed to be Cardassian sock-puppets/stooges. T'was the natural modus operandi of all the traitors involved.
EHHHHHH I think Winn is a lot of things but I feel her hatred of the Cardassians was genuine and she never worked with them nor wanted too. Now using a collaborator to help her politically? Sure. Help the Cardassians themselves? Never.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:38 am
Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:25 am I always took Winn's pretence of "But I suffered, too", to be fabricated bullshit for the sake of electability. She's the kind of personality who'd betray her own son to the Cardassians, if it got her anything she wanted. If there's anyone who's got "Treacherous Collaborator" written all over their face, it's her and I was not the slightest bit surprised, when The Circle was revealed to be Cardassian sock-puppets/stooges. T'was the natural modus operandi of all the traitors involved.
EHHHHHH I think Winn is a lot of things but I feel her hatred of the Cardassians was genuine and she never worked with them nor wanted too. Now using a collaborator to help her politically? Sure. Help the Cardassians themselves? Never.
Yeah, when she learned that he Cardassians might be involved with the Circle she helped to bring it down pretty much right away and there's no point throughout the rest of the series until Season 7 of her working with Cardassians and even when she did she turned on him as soon as the option was made available.

I also think that her story about how she was mistreated by the Cardassians is true and reveals a darker side to faith. Winn prayed to be saved, for her people to be saved and her prayers and now that she got that she feels she is owed more because she personally suffered greatly throughout during the occupation and since she suffered that must mean that she is owed everything she wants.

The real problem with Winn is she causes to many problems for the heroes and offers nothing in return. She has screwed over everyone so many times it's amazing that she's still in power. Contrast this with Bester in Babylon 5, sure he caused problems but he also proved useful enough times that the B5 crew knew that if he said that there was a threat to B5 AS Well as the psycore they were pretty much certain that he was being honest, or as honest as he could be.

Winn just causes the heroes problems and she never really stops.

And on that note here's another change, either get rid of Winn or alter her character so she actually HELPS the heroes while still being a self centered BITCH!
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

If they still do the Jadzia/Ezri switch bring Ezri in sooner so we can get to know her better. Maybe have Jadzia sacrifice herself to save Ezri to add more weight to the changeover.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think a lot of Winn's stuff would work fine as-is if we heard more of her thought process. Early on she was helping the Pah-Wraiths because they sent her false visions about her actions helping Bajor be magically restored, and I don't think she ever quite internalized that it was a lie after she found out what had happened. Add in her sense of abandonment and resentment at the Prophets never speaking to her for real (which may or may not have been a lie, she said it to manipulate Dukat) and it makes perfect sense. It also explains her genuine surprise that they chose Dukat in full "burn it all down as a monument to your own greatness" mode over her as soon as she'd served her purpose if she genuinely thought they were benevolent.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Winter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:59 am DON'T kill Jadzia, I like Ezri and there was an interesting idea and Nicole De Boer is doing her best but this is a new character being introduced in the last season and which takes up to much time while Jadzia staying around would allow more focus to other characters while still giving her a lot to do.
Wasn't that down to Terry Farrell wanting to leave though? So Jadzia had to go one way or the other.