Suicide Squad may be a fantastic bomb

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Suicide Squad may be a fantastic bomb

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think it because we don't get many DC comics games, so the first Justice LEague game in years, is this. I mean a bad comic take is a dime a dozen, video games not so much.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:03 pm I mean this sounds largely consistent with AU takes. I don’t get why you’d be offended in that case.
I think it because a bad AU in comic books is dime a dozen, meanwhile we haven't gotten a justice LEague game in years, so they can't have a game where they are in character, but a meanspirited take we are stuck with.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:03 pm I mean this sounds largely consistent with AU takes. I don’t get why you’d be offended in that case.
Generally AU takes are one offs, or just plain bad so can be ignored. This though people have had three long games to get attached to the character, so to then see this done to him, yeah I can see the Luke comparison being made.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean Marvel's Avengers was a shitty game aside from the Ms. Marvel parts (and that is a rare sentence) but at least you don't murder Captain America and piss on his corpse. Which...is not an exaggeration.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:43 am
I mean Marvel's Avengers was a shitty game aside from the Ms. Marvel parts (and that is a rare sentence) but at least you don't murder Captain America and piss on his corpse. Which...is not an exaggeration.
Well TBF to KTJL Boomerang never actually pissed on Flash's corpse, Deadshot stopped him before he could go through with it. It's honestly more accurate to say "After killing Flash the game makes a dick joke about Captain Boomerang's junk and he tries to piss on Flash's corpse" which, if anything, is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

stryke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:29 pm Generally AU takes are one offs, or just plain bad so can be ignored. This though people have had three long games to get attached to the character, so to then see this done to him, yeah I can see the Luke comparison being made.
But even alternate universes in continuity have such perilous takes on the very Justice League themselves. It's an episode in the DCAU kids cartoon where Superman is plainly put salty over Lois' death.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:43 am I mean Marvel's Avengers was a shitty game aside from the Ms. Marvel parts (and that is a rare sentence) but at least you don't murder Captain America and piss on his corpse. Which...is not an exaggeration.
The funny thing though is that the general consensus seems to regard this game as a competent exhibition of Marvel's The Avengers. Personally I've never taken to this arcade style third person shooter, though I kindly remember seeing it come about some 16 years ago.

But yeah... regarding the piss etc...
Winter wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:53 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:43 am I mean Marvel's Avengers was a shitty game aside from the Ms. Marvel parts (and that is a rare sentence) but at least you don't murder Captain America and piss on his corpse. Which...is not an exaggeration.
Well TBF to KTJL Boomerang never actually pissed on Flash's corpse, Deadshot stopped him before he could go through with it. It's honestly more accurate to say "After killing Flash the game makes a dick joke about Captain Boomerang's junk and he tries to piss on Flash's corpse" which, if anything, is worse.
And, this is Suicide Squad. It's DC's antimodernist escapism opposite Marvel's deadpool, except it's all villains on top of that. I've understood its main prerogative to push the envelope. Harley killing a child sounds pretty rough, though it's not particularly unprecedented.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:30 pm
I think it because a bad AU in comic books is dime a dozen, meanwhile we haven't gotten a justice LEague game in years, so they can't have a game where they are in character, but a meanspirited take we are stuck with.
It's a bit more than that too. It's a game set in the Arkham Universe and it's following Gotham Knights. WB probably thought Gotham Knights could hold people over and keep the ball rolling with Suicide Squad, but people were particularly waiting for Rocksteady's game and not a sister narrative followup to the ambiguous ending of Arkham Knight.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:18 pm
stryke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:29 pm The funny thing though is that the general consensus seems to regard this game as a competent exhibition of Marvel's The Avengers. Personally I've never taken to this arcade style third person shooter, though I kindly remember seeing it come about some 16 years ago.
Really, because every comparison shows how much worse this game is than Avengers and people hated the Avengers.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Winter wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:53 am Well TBF to KTJL Boomerang never actually pissed on Flash's corpse, Deadshot stopped him before he could go through with it. It's honestly more accurate to say "After killing Flash the game makes a dick joke about Captain Boomerang's junk and he tries to piss on Flash's corpse" which, if anything, is worse.
I've seen the cutscene and it really is unclear as you don't see below the belt. He does stand there for a bit before Deadshot pushes him back so maybe there is piss contact and maybe there isn't.

But yeah either way it's terribad to the extreme.
tyrteg
Officer

Post by tyrteg »

I look at Suicide Squad, the amount of content, the unlikeable characters and then I remember that for the price of Suicide Squad I bought both Palworld and Enshrouded. Both much better games and both for 30€. Don't know what the Sales Managers were thinking setting that price point but I hope they enjooy their golden parachutes when the company goes under.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I mean let's be honest your paying for the name with something like this