Allegory in Science Fiction

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Allegory in Science Fiction

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 am They didn't call themselves "anti-'woke'" yet or have a platform like YouTube to force their views in your face but the exact kind of people were making the exact same kinds of complaints about every version of X-Men. It's not new and there's fewer of them now if anything, they're just louder.

And of course in-universe the people on the streets with "No More Mutans!" signs or that support the Sentinel program are a very blatant stand-in for the same people in the allegory. I'm far from the first person to observe this but it's amazing how that kind of person can say they like sci-fi when they're the bad guy in every story.

The producers sure don't think there's enough of them to be worth catering to, they deliberately got them complaining about the new Morph for the free marketing.
Said it before and i'll say it again: mutants are a TERRIBLE analogy for real life marginalised groups because real life marginalised groups cannot mind rape you. Not wanting a telepath in your street is a bit different to not wanting to live next to a man who kissed other men.

And as for your second point, I would advise looking up the ACTUAL reason for all of this inclusion nonsense in films which is the fact that the likes of Blackrock gives you millions of dollars in funding to do it. Studios couldn't give a shit about inclusion or diversity which is why they erase black people and LGBT people from foreign releases.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:56 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:48 am
Nobody700 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:38 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:15 am I think up to a point recently where you could do allegory in science fiction without someone immediately saying it's too woke. Or the whole show is woke due to its undertones of wokism. The anti-woke group are hyper sensitive today. Same gender people cannot kiss without being called woke.

I think now you have to be more clever now in disguising a modern day issue. A mainstream one at least.
Yeah, but... the anti woke crowd are sissies so who give a shit, they'll whine about anything.
The extremists on BOTH SIDES moan about everything. That's the problem.
Cool burn. Very imaginative. And yet... ''Strange New Worlds'' telling people that Trump voters led to World War 3 wasn't quite the smartest and most level headed thing to do. Keep that bubble you are living in going though. You might convince someone who lives outside of it that your side is innocent of all wrong-doing in the culture wars at some point.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:03 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:15 am I think up to a point recently where you could do allegory in science fiction without someone immediately saying it's too woke. Or the whole show is woke due to its undertones of wokism. The anti-woke group are hyper sensitive today. Same gender people cannot kiss without being called woke.

I think now you have to be more clever now in disguising a modern day issue. A mainstream one at least.
Yeah, but... the anti woke crowd are sissies so who give a shit, they'll whine about anything.
Cool burn. Very imaginative. And yet... ''Strange New Worlds'' telling people that Trump voters led to World War 3 wasn't quite the smartest and most level headed thing to do. Keep that bubble you are living in going though. You might convince someone who lives outside of it that your side is innocent of all wrong-doing in the culture wars at some point.
Projection is just your whole personality, huh?

I've seen you melt down for weeks because a movie had a chaste kiss between a married couple and it reminded you gay people exist.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:00 am
And as for your second point, I would advise looking up the ACTUAL reason for all of this inclusion nonsense in films [...]
Do you even hear yourself?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:37 am
And as for your second point, I would advise looking up the ACTUAL reason for all of this inclusion nonsense in films [...]
Here it is. Exactly my point about you and people like you.

You ignored my point about Blackrock providing millions of dollars to anyone who puts inclusivity in their work.

You ignored my point about how studios say one thing to your face about how much they love the LGBT community and then blatantly show their total disregard for you when it comes to China or India or Saudi Arabia by deleting you from the film.

You see what you want to see. And that makes this whole conversation pointless.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:06 am

I've seen you melt down for weeks because a movie had a chaste kiss between a married couple and it reminded you gay people exist.
Which movie was that? Genuine question. I literally cannot remember.

Also, as par my last answer to you, there are those blinkers of yours again.

Was it a good idea for Star Trek to say that Trump voters started world war 3? Yes or No?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:25 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:06 am

Which movie was that? Genuine question. I literally cannot remember.

Also, as par my last answer to you, there are those blinkers of yours again.

Was it a good idea for Star Trek to say that Trump voters started world war 3? Yes or No?
You did it for Lightyear and you did it for a mention in Eternals.

You ever look into a Ground News account or something? Or do you just take GB News and random YouTube outrage merchants at their word?

That wasn't what happened in that episode and from past history I'm reasonably sure you haven't actually seen it.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:22 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:37 am
Here it is. Exactly my point about you and people like you.

You ignored my point about Blackrock providing millions of dollars to anyone who puts inclusivity in their work.

You ignored my point about how studios say one thing to your face about how much they love the LGBT community and then blatantly show their total disregard for you when it comes to China or India or Saudi Arabia by deleting you from the film.

You see what you want to see. And that makes this whole conversation pointless.
Okay but like... who gives a flying absolute fuck? You're the one DODDGING the convo. What is your DEAL with having a fit anytime gay people are in media. You clearly do, don't PRETEND you don't and argue how one piece of media did it better 30 years ago that you would have hated 30 years ago, just admit, what is your DEAL?
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

You push a message too far, you make it too blindingly obvious, and you take a very extreme, one-sided, self-righteous approach to it and you're going to get a backlash (which inevitably results whinging about the people who called you out on that in turn, frequently with a large chunk of hypocrisy). That's inevitable no matter how sound the core of the message actually is. Doing allegory well is a skill, and being up your arse and preaching to the choir isn't doing it well.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:00 amAnd as for your second point, I would advise looking up the ACTUAL reason for all of this inclusion nonsense in films which is the fact that the likes of Blackrock gives you millions of dollars in funding to do it. Studios couldn't give a shit about inclusion or diversity which is why they erase black people and LGBT people from foreign releases.
I think the spur of it is reformatting the normativity of expected hetero white male dominance and the exhibited hierarchy of it as a standardized practice for studios in a marketing sense.
..What mirror universe?