Something you hate from something you love.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Something you hate from something you love.

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I saw Nobody700 post and wanted to see how the opposite would go.

I'll start, an example of something I hate is in Gravity falls how at the series end, the whole town just pretend the supernatural doesn't exist and don't acknowledge it. I feel that is both the dullest answers and kinda stupid, saying pretending problems don't exist make them go away.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Something you hate from something you love.

Post by hammerofglass »

The fandom and the gatekeepers doubly so.

That's my answer for basically everything I enjoy.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

How dare you rip me off. Very based of you.

For me, I'll throw in three once again. Captain America Winter Soldier is my fave MCU film and one of my all time favorite superhero movies. Their's a lot I praise of it. One thing I don't... is Black Widow. Great idea for her to be in this film... but man she felt so wrong. The 'kiss me on an escalator' scene is the worst example and cringe inducing. Her OBSESSION with who Steve sleeps with is also WEIRD. I thought it was her messing with him but no, that is sadly her character.

The Umbara arc, my all time favorite arc in the Clone Wars, has so much I do praise it for. One thing I don't is... the actual ending battle, the one they hype up and is why they decide to execute Krell despite orders demanding he should live and be sent back... never is shown and kinda forgotten. It's weird and makes the whole point of the clones battling a corrupt jedi weird when it would have been amazing to have a fifth episode end with them battling a force like this with NO jedi general, and conflict goes into this and their belief that maybe the other Jedi don't care about them. It's a problem cause maybe I wanted more from an AMAZING four parter, but it's one I have.

Lastly, Gargoyles. LOVE the show, great stuff... but I HATED the boat arc. I swear they had four episodes of 'This guy doesn't respect his tribe cause he prefers science and must remember his spiritual ways and also this supernatural belief is really Oberon's kid.' The arc went on TOO long, repeated itself, and while some good was in it, all in all they really should have cut it in half. It felt like years they were on that damn boat.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:31 pm I saw Nobody700 post and wanted to see how the opposite would go.

I'll start, an example of something I hate is in Gravity falls how at the series end, the whole town just pretend the supernatural doesn't exist and don't acknowledge it. I feel that is both the dullest answers and kinda stupid, saying pretending problems don't exist make them go away.
As dumb as that was... still way better than how Star ended which is kinda similar.

But more genocide.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:09 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:31 pm I saw Nobody700 post and wanted to see how the opposite would go.

As dumb as that was... still way better than how Star ended which is kinda similar.

But more genocide.
I never said it was the worst ending, I justed hated that aspect of the show.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

The Harem-portions of Knights of Sidonia. Rarely something is so misplaced as that.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

With Gravity Falls, something that annoyed me a lot was the Season 1 fixation Maybel's crush of the week and Dipper's one-sided romance. For somebody who said "kids shouldn't be worried about romance", they sure did push a lot of it on us.

In Lower Decks, well, there's the first episode and Cupid's Errant Arrow. The first episode did not work great as an introduction to Mariner and Boimler and why we should care about them. The fifth episode like, I appreciate that it gave us some good things, like "MOVE JENNIFER" and all those references to evil girlfriend monster-of-the-week scenarios, but DAMN if it didn't feel like exactly what it was, which was a decades-stale sitcom plot with nothing to really elevate it.

In Deep Space 9, it's the Pah Wraiths. Another case of hijacked by Western Dualistic religious concepts of Good and Evil. They should have left them as little gnome-like creatures running around in caves. As Confused Matthew, whom I disagree with in many other areas, said, "Religions don't have opposites, they have alternatives."

Dragon Age Origins...I hate the transphobia at the Pearl. "Female" in scare quotes. It's just so unecessary.

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series. I love the books, but I hate sink-or-swim mentors, both on an in-universe level and a meta level. I also really can't stand the "Power that is not for the calling up of trifles," IE, "power that only works when it is convenient to the plot for it to do so, so the heroine can be an underdog the rest of the time and super powerful when Pratchett needs her to be."
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

For Gravity Falls which I love and consider it the true successor to the legacy of the X-files (sorry Supernatural) and I didn't at all mind the romances, I didn't at all care for the frozen president one that riffs on National Treasure. There's one good moment with Pacifica but that's about it.

For Lower Decks I'd just say the first half of the first season in general with episode one being especially dire, and it's just such a millstone around the show's neck in trying to get new people into it. I also really hate the Mugato episode of s2 which might even be worse than the pilot.

For Ds9, I didnt mind the Pah Wraiths that much as they did have some decent uses. The one where Keiko gets possessed is fantastic, and I also do like the Kira vs Jake one cause Kai Winn gets a decent character beat out of it. Ds9 is weird as I do love it, I do I swear but oh man I could write essays about everything that was wrong with it. I think it was partially a rod for their own back of their own making. If you're that good and that ambitious then it's going to stand out all the more when you don't measure up to your own high standards. So it's very hard to pick just one. I'll go with Dukat though. For me everything after the death of his daughter in regard to him was just crap. If I was re-doing Ds9 I'd only have him show up after that in the finale of s7 after the decimation of Cardassia. Cut to him in a Federation mental asylum and just see it all sink into show what his actions ultimately led to.

Dragon Age Origins I also love, and consider it the only good game in that series. I do dislike though that it had the unfortunate 'the only real hero is someone who will kill themself for the benefit of others' which was a really weird trope around that time that just kept on cropping up. At least they handled it better than Fallout 3 where you did have another option.

For Terry Pratchett who is genuinly my favourite author period for each of the character groups there will be one or two books that stand out as not being up to the lofty standards as the others. I think Tiffany Aching might be the exception as I find all those books pretty consistent. Rincewind has Eric and The Last Continent, the Watch has Jingo (I much prefer Snuff yes really) , the Witches have Carpe Jugulum which is such a rehash of the far superior Lords and Ladies (it does have everything to do with Mighty Oats though which is all amazing stuff) and Masquerade, Death has The Thief of Time, and Moist has Rising Steam (though I'm very forgiving of that one cause y'know). Oh, and I hate how some people discuss his incredible work as they bend themself into knots to find elements of the book 'problematic' when this guy was so, so far ahead compared to the rest of his peers in regard to themes of personal freedom and social issues that relate to that. Having a fat character who experiences discrimation is for being fat in a realistic manner is not being 'fatphobic'. Fucking hell, I swear some people have the media literacy of a gnat.

For a new one Frasier is by far my favourite live action sitcom, but oh man everything to do with Daphne's family when they stop popping up on screen is just nails on chalkboard. I'll never get over that Simon's actor (an austalian btw) won an Emmy.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Age Inquisition is a game I mostly love. But having the character creator bathed in that dark green Fade light that casts weird shadows so that you have an at best vague idea what they look like in normal light is a truly baffling decision.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Stryke, I can see where you're coming from with some of them. Last Continent I found just okay, neither great nor terrible, but why do you dislike Jingo?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville