Something you hate from something you love.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
stryke
Captain

Re: Something you hate from something you love.

Post by stryke »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:36 amStryke, I can see where you're coming from with some of them. Last Continent I found just okay, neither great nor terrible, but why do you dislike Jingo?
Oh man, now that's a question as that's a book I've not read in a good while.

Off the top of my head Vetinari is at his most uninteresting playing on easy god mode, and the team up with Nobby and Colon which should be comedy gold never really pays off. There's like one good moment with the animal up the tower and that's it.

The writing of the klatchians is weirdly off where how complicit they are in the situation never really feels like it's something he has a decent handle on where he both wants there to be bad elements but is scared of ever demonizing them at all given the time when the book was written. I'm sypathetic that he wanted to tread carefully but it makes for a rather awkward read. The excessive incompetence of the Ankh Morpok military leadership is also so exaggerated that while I get the point, after awhile the point has been truly made, and it just get frustrating to keep on being hit over the head with it.

The later Monstrous Regiment handles the small force dealing the horror, madness, and just total stupidity of war significantly better to the point that Jingo feels like a rough first draft in comparison.

Only thing I really like out of Jingo is the annecote that gets added to Vimes' list of accomplishments for later books about him arresting both armies.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

In Jingo I really didn't like that Angua was barely in it and her only contribution to the plot was to get captured so the men will try and rescue her. She got herself out, but still. Pratchett is usually really good at avoiding that kind of thing, and it's a disservice to one of my favorite characters.

Although to be fair it was run as more "this guy beat the most dangerous member of the Watch through sheer cunning he's a serious threat" than anything damsel in distress-ish.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:26 am In Jingo I really didn't like that Angua was barely in it and her only contribution to the plot was to get captured so the men will try and rescue her. She got herself out, but still. Pratchett is usually really good at avoiding that kind of thing, and it's a disservice to one of my favorite characters.

Although to be fair it was run as more "this guy beat the most dangerous member of the Watch through sheer cunning he's a serious threat" than anything damsel in distress-ish.
I say it's just more the fact that she is the toughest person on the watch so you wanna take her out first, rather than her being a woman. I'm fine with a badass female character losing as long as it doesn't become a 'Save me men, please' that so happens in bad fiction where she's competent for only 30 seconds.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Nobody700 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:18 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:26 am In Jingo I really didn't like that Angua was barely in it and her only contribution to the plot was to get captured so the men will try and rescue her. She got herself out, but still. Pratchett is usually really good at avoiding that kind of thing, and it's a disservice to one of my favorite characters.

I say it's just more the fact that she is the toughest person on the watch so you wanna take her out first, rather than her being a woman. I'm fine with a badass female character losing as long as it doesn't become a 'Save me men, please' that so happens in bad fiction where she's competent for only 30 seconds.
It's mostly that it's the only thing she does all book. That and her making a couple of jokes about being Carrot's pet. Especially since Vimes' choice on what to do at that point and how it splits the timeline is a huge focus of the story, it's kinda weird that she just rejoins the party later and doesn't really do anything.

Favorite character of mine since I was like 12, so there's definite emotional bias involved.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Yeah that IS more annoying, can just be the problem of having such a huge book.

I admit been a long while since I read Jingo, so my memory is fuzzy.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

You called? :P
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

This took some thought as most things I love I put on a pedestal and smirk at the 'bad' stuff. If it has something I hate in it I probably don't 'love' it.

So something that pulls me out of the story. Mass Effect, we go to talk to the Council and all the responses from Shepard are basically telling the council where to put it. I felt like this was the first real railroad.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Nealithi wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:37 amSo something that pulls me out of the story. Mass Effect, we go to talk to the Council and all the responses from Shepard are basically telling the council where to put it. I felt like this was the first real railroad.
That's fair.

What I mostly hate about ME is the impossibly high standard they set for the other games that made all their flaws stand out all the more in comparison.

Okay if I'm being more honest about the game I love the most in that series is that is harder to get into but smoothing off those rough edges resulted in ME2 which was far more accessible but just wasn't anywhere near as interesting to engage with.

You really had to put the work in on ME. The lack of mechanical help meant many people never discovered just how damn satisfying it was that the mako's battlecannon was also a sniper rifle. It took me until just before finding the artefact in the second playthrough for the combat to finally fully click for me. It wasn't until the third playthrough that I found some of the most fascinating discoveries and sidequests.

And the worst thing was that all those playthroughs made the plot of ME2 and the increasing amount of realroading where Shep really need to rail harder against the Cerberus fuckwits. They really should have just gone with a control chip or something to justify being forced to play along and then have Miranda turn it off midgame as she gets convinced it's limiting your effectiveness.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Guyver. The Manga.

Love the Manga. Love the whole concept of it. Problem is that Yoshiki Takaya is slow and as of right now hasn't made any new chapters for a long time now. He has that issue that it seems like he doesn't know how to end it. Introductions to new characters that seems to pad it out or paying some fan service like a Female Guyver (though the history of her unit is interesting) or bringing back an old baddie for no reason. Or bringing in an unknown. The positive like giving Guyver 3 his own Gigantic pod after Guyver locked him out of the original. And there was a eventual showdown between the two.

The jumping the shark moment was when the Gigantic Guyver pumped energy into himself that allowed him to grow to about 60 meters to fight a Godzilla like threat. Keep in mind the whole manga never had this before, but now this is the Ultimate Form for the Gigantic Guyver.
I got nothing to say here.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

I'm probably not alone in this but the ending of Superman 2.

Lois is up all night because she realizes that Clark and her cannot be together because he's Superman and she can't share him with the world. She compares the relationship to being married to a policeman or fireman. Except that police and firemen do get married and have kids. He then uses some memory wipe message to fix the problem. Even when I watched this at the movie theater I thought this was lame.

Oh, and whatever happened to Ms. Teschsmacher?