Silly Question Time: If Disney Hired You to Remake Wish How Would You Go About It?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Re: Silly Question Time: If Disney Hired You to Remake Wish How Would You Go About It?

Post by Winter »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:34 am I feel like it's not really very classic Disney at all and thus a very poor anniversary special. Especially since it seems like they want it to be a Prequel to a "Once Upon a Time" like universe that it implied at the end.

People have commented on the moral dissonance of half the audience agreeing with the villain.

Disney villains aren't like that.

Disney villains are like Puss and Boots' Jack Horner or SATAN.
Which really only highlights that most people didn't actually watch the film or completely missed the point. One thing I've seen several times is people complaining about how Asha wanted to grant everyone's wish and that Magnifico's reasoning for not wanting to grant said wishes was overall reasonable.

Which is NOT what happens in the actual movie. Asha suggests just returning said wishes so people can try to achieve them on their own merits and Magnifico's "Reason" for not granting certain wishes is because he doesn't want to grant a wish that doesn't make him look amazing and or makes people love someone more then him.

But my question remains, what would you do if Disney Hired you to reboot Wish? Would you try and make the film it was originally going to be, make something new or take the original film and add some of your own personal changes?
Al-1701
Officer

Re: Silly Question Time: If Disney Hired You to Remake Wish How Would You Go About It?

Post by Al-1701 »

Is it universal we would launch the frigging goat into the sun?

Personally, I think Disney is completely out of practice when it comes to their traditional villains. There needed to be more to Magnifico's villainy than being a hoarder and then being taken in by the Dark Side of the Force. He seems to genuinely care about the wishes and wants to keep them safe which is something no classic Disney villain would do as the whole point is they care about nothing but themselves. Until the book he seems more frustrated than malevolent.

There needed to be a villainous reason for Magnifico keeping the wishes. They give him power over the people beyond he has their wishes, or the wishes fuel his magic. As is, he is worried granting the wrong wish or giving the wrong wish back could lead to the same ruin that befell his homeland.

The old villains are right there. How about actually watch their stories rather than concentrate on the Easter egg hunt.