Celebrating Pride Month: LGBT Stories You Would Create if Given the Chance: Star Wars

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Celebrating Pride Month: LGBT Stories You Would Create if Given the Chance: Star Wars

Post by Winter »

It's the most Gayest Time of the Year!!! :D

Seeing that it's June and thus Pride Month has returned I figured I'd bring this up again and seeing that I've been asking everyone their opinions on Star Wars I'd figured, eh WTH I'll ask what everyone would do if they were given a chance to make Star Wars more gay.

Now when it comes to me and any work I create or am creating I tend to make it as gay as possible. I include a lot of LGBT themes and characters into my work and by that I mean if my work is ever published always expect three things, a female lead, at least one random musical number and quite a few LGBT characters and by quite a few I mean A LOT!!!

But there is one series that is and remains near and dear to my heart that sadly is pretty low on the LGBT representation side of things which is Star Wars. It's not that SW has never had LGBT characters in the series it's just, sadly, they aren't as common. Just as an example, of the Star Wars film's released over the past 47 years the most we've gotten in terms of queer characters have been Ahsoka (who's only ever implied to be bisexual and even then only in a single novel) and Ziro the Hutt who is more queer coded then actually queer. And two background characters in Rise of Skywalker and that's it.

I've mentioned this before but if had my way I would have had a same sex romance as the certain point of the Disney Sequel Trilogy between the defector Storm Trooper and the Kylo Ren character. To clarify I would have kept Lucas' idea of having Darth Talon in the film and had Finn be Kira and just have the Trilogy be about these two dragging the whole galaxy into their lovers quarrel similar to what happened over on She-Ra and the Princesses of Power between Catra and Adora.

There are, of course, other series in Star Wars I would love to make a bit more gay. Just have Ahsoka come out as Bi, get Sabine and Shin romance started, make Finn and Poe a couple because seriously they're perfect for each other. Delve into how sexual transitioning works in Star Wars which I have to imagine would be easy in-universe given how easily Obi-Wan was altered to look and sound like another person as shown in the Clone Wars.

youtu.be/gV5Ne9wlnIA

But yeah, I would explore it a bit more. As Lucas himself said people of all walks of life are excepted within the Star Wars universe, regardless if you're white, black, purple or covered in fur so I have to imagine that everyone with everyone being openly queer so I think we should see more of that in the films and shows.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Celebrating Pride Month: LGBT Stories You Would Create if Given the Chance: Star Wars

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'd make Finn, Rey, and Poe a polycule.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Celebrating Pride Month: LGBT Stories You Would Create if Given the Chance: Star Wars

Post by hammerofglass »

Sabine and Shin is all I can think of in recent material. I honestly thought the show was going there but it just kinda leaves Shin hanging.

Oh trans lesbian actress Abigail Thorne is in Acolyte btw, just going with the Pride theme. Doesn't look to be a very big part though, in the trailer she's just a random Jedi in a group shot.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Winter wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:23 am Just as an example, of the Star Wars film's released over the past 47 years the most we've gotten in terms of queer characters have been Ahsoka (who's only ever implied to be bisexual and even then only in a single novel) and Ziro the Hutt who is more queer coded then actually queer.
Hutts are supposed to be hermaphroditic (something Clone Wars managed not to screw up, surprisingly), which could make them an interesting vehicle for exploring themes related to trans-gender.

Imagine a young hutt who has to deal with humans and is constantly struggling to understand gender dynamics. Maybe give him a feminine personality (complete with a female or trans-female voice actress) but uses masculine pronouns.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

I have always been of the mind when I rewrite the sequels in my head that Finn and Poe should have dated. I don't know why, they don't even have THAT much chemistry... I just have this feeling in my head they should have. Hey, it's better than who they actually dated in the sequels. Kill the rebellion girl (And GOD I feel so bad for the actress because FUCK EVERYONE who harassed her for playing an awful character, she is a human being, jesus christ you assholes) and what's her name Poe dated.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Actually something I'd like to see: let Larian make an M rated game in the IP and do their thing.

Disney showed in Andor that "Star Wars for adults" is somewhere they're willing to go, might as well go all-out.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I wouldn't mind that, show Star wars but from the POV of a grunt as oppose to strictly Jedi.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Always wanted to do a DS9 take on Star wars, of a space station left in the far regions over a planet...

The catch being it's the empire and return of the jedi just happened, and the station hides the empire just fell to the planet to prevent being massacred by the planet, as they figure out what to do.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I think I would borrow a bit from Starfield. Bear with me. You find a slate from Heller mentioning they might be finding some rare jewels. And he states he will swipe one for Angela, or maybe Carlos or Nia. Indicating he is openly romantic. So having a similar chance in Star Wars? Lando gets a nice haul and mentions some paramours thinking which one might like a little gift seems fitting for him. And it opens up more for him meeting his old friends in high or low places.

Okay not much of a story by itself. But I think it fits the character which can add to storytelling.