If the Borg show up in the JJverse...

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

If the Borg show up in the JJverse...

Post by Karha of Honor »

Can we do away with the silliness of them adapting to everything and not even fliching no matter what you hit them with?
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: If the Borg show up in the JJverse...

Post by Madner Kami »

If weapons-fire can defeat them, then they are no unique threat.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

"Hi, Jean Luc. I'm the Borg."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:34 pm If weapons-fire can defeat them, then they are no unique threat.
They look dope, are fairly unique and high profile. I never saw their Super Stuness as the thing that made them unique.

If they are gonna be invulnerable at least give them a super force field so they look less silly. It's like you not being able to move a glass of water.
Last edited by Karha of Honor on Sun May 20, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

The Borg are a threat to the Federation/our heroes like no other in the ST-universe. They ain't a military, economical or ideological rival. If you can shoot to kill them, outcompete them or outtalk them, then they have no raison d'être, because you could just use the Klingons, Dominion, Romulans and Co instead.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

There was a series of Novels that saw the Borg rise again to be a huge threat to the federation. In "Before Dishonor" Peter David tapped into their ability to adapt and evolve to really see them become a far greater nemesis to the Federation. In following series called "Destiny" written by David Mack, the entire collective metaphorically says "F**K Assimilation. We are tired of you. We are coming to wipe out all life from your corner of the galaxy." It was a genuinely imaginative series that saw the issue resolved in a way that was unexpected but earned.

I can't see a movie doing them justice as the Borg Always worked best in a serialized format. Maybe Discovery can include them in some way.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:27 am The Borg are a threat to the Federation/our heroes like no other in the ST-universe. They ain't a military, economical or ideological rival. If you can shoot to kill them, outcompete them or outtalk them, then they have no raison d'être, because you could just use the Klingons, Dominion, Romulans and Co instead.
Even if you can shoot them they are very distinct from the above mentioned.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

No I don't think you can get rid of that, not if you want them to keep being Borg. One of the defining traits of the Borg is their invincibility on a purely technological level. Anything you come up with they can equal and counter with the efficiency and speed of a computer. The recurring theme in Borg episodes is the value of humanity and individuals, and the key to beating the Borg is intuition and human ingenuity. That theme is weakened if you make the Borg vulnerable to conventional weapons or brute strength.
The owls are not what they seem.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I'm going to come down firmly on both sides of the fence. As uncomfortable as that sounds.

I like that in First Contact Starfleet had made progress in the destruction of the Borg cube (because humans have the ability to adapt too, and Starfleet engineers get a plus 20 to these rolls), but I want the solutions to most often be our heroes thinking in directions that the Borg can't.

The Borg are (IMHO anyway) one brilliant mind mind. But one mind, no matter how brilliant, can sometimes miss something that a five-year-old can see in ten seconds flat.

Think an NFL linebacker vs. comedian Steven Wright. Mr. Wright can give the linebacker a black eye and maybe a limp, but the linebacker is going to win any physical contest in short order. Then Wright mentions, "cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country," the linebacker is rolling on the ground, helplessly laughing, and this metaphor sounded a lot better when I started it than it does now.
APlotdevice
Redshirt

Post by APlotdevice »

I suppose the benefit to having the Borg in another Trek film is that they couldn’t just recycle the same damn vengeance plot for the sixth bloody time in a row!