Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 trailer and panel

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 trailer and panel

Post by MrL1992 »

Trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Cd7NKKvDc

SDCC Panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k7XGBluxw4

I felt like the responses to this trailer would depend upon their opinions of Season 1 as well as the recent films. Did you like DIS S1? You'll probably be up for it.Diid you like most of the recent movies but S1 of DIS didn't do it for you then this might win you over. If you liked neither then you'll probably still complain. Based on the reactions I have seen, I think I mostly hit the nail on the head.

I fall into categoty 1. I'm glad we're moving away from the war as those were the parts dragged for me in season 1. Having Pike as captain is an interesting choice as ww have never known much about the character previously (excluding the Kelvin version). Adventure and 'Discovery' really do seem to be the emphsus which I'm happy to see. The ending joke didn't do it for me though, it started okay with the full lift the ounchline didn't land. But it was ohky one joke and humour is very subjective so it diesn't knofk it down much.

The series start Janurary next year with some short episides coming in between that wilk focus on certain characters.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 trailer and panel

Post by Worffan101 »

--Hated season 1. Hated its aesthetics, hated the lack of diversity, hated most of the characters, was appalled and disgusted by The Fridgening, hated that there was no trans character (it's Star Trek in 2018, we had a quietly genderfluid character on DS9, where's the trans character already?), hated the Mirror Universe arc especially, and most of all hated the completely incompetent writing.

--Liked the trailer up until that godawful music started. The space-opera-y premise has a lot of potential IMO.

--Then the music reminded me that Discovery is where potential goes to literally die. Not hugely into most of the visuals, the music was godawful. At least the transporter effect was neat? And Pike's uniform was OK.

--Really, REALLY don't like them trying to tie everything to Spock. Don't force the nostalgia connection. Just have Spock...kind of exist, in the background. This just reeks of desperation.

--I still don't like Burnham very much as a protag but that's largely because I hated season 1 so fucking much.

--The finale joke made me roll my eyes. Bad pacing and much too topical humor.

Overall? 3/10, makes me worried for the future.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

And another assertation that DIS isn't diverse enough on an Internet full of people who accuse it of being the opposite. I personally disagree with both stances but do find it funny, to kind of like what you hear thrown around about Star Wars.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I don't think there's a lack of diversity on Discovery but I don't think there's anything really to proclaim either.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:06 pm --Hated season 1. Hated its aesthetics, hated the lack of diversity, hated most of the characters, was appalled and disgusted by The Fridgening, hated that there was no trans character (it's Star Trek in 2018, we had a quietly genderfluid character on DS9, where's the trans character already?), hated the Mirror Universe arc especially, and most of all hated the completely incompetent writing.

--Liked the trailer up until that godawful music started. The space-opera-y premise has a lot of potential IMO.

--Then the music reminded me that Discovery is where potential goes to literally die. Not hugely into most of the visuals, the music was godawful. At least the transporter effect was neat? And Pike's uniform was OK.

--Really, REALLY don't like them trying to tie everything to Spock. Don't force the nostalgia connection. Just have Spock...kind of exist, in the background. This just reeks of desperation.

--I still don't like Burnham very much as a protag but that's largely because I hated season 1 so fucking much.

hated the lack of diversity,
What do you mean?
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 am
Worffan101 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:06 pm --Hated season 1. Hated its aesthetics, hated the lack of diversity, hated most of the characters, was appalled and disgusted by The Fridgening, hated that there was no trans character (it's Star Trek in 2018, we had a quietly genderfluid character on DS9, where's the trans character already?), hated the Mirror Universe arc especially, and most of all hated the completely incompetent writing.

hated the lack of diversity,
What do you mean?
I mean that out of the protagonists who get actual character, we have a straight white guy, a gay white guy, a black woman, a straight guy who's probably of Arab descent but has a bog-standard white guy name, a white woman, a cartoon caricature of a cowardly alien who comes off like the early Ferengi, and a Latino gay guy who's killed off halfway through.

DS9 was more diverse in the early '90s even if they weren't allowed to let their LGBT characters (especially Bashir and Garak, whose actors intentionally acted their characters as lovers) be openly gay, they still had Dax be openly pansexual and swap genders on reincarnation decades before Dr. Who did that.

I mean, it's 2018. Where's the trans guy? Where's the trans WOMAN for that matter, Jamie Clayton needs some work now that Sense8's done. Why is the gay dude the one getting fridged? Why did they do the EXACT same BS with Culber (kill him for shock value then have his ghost come back later) that The 100 did with Lexa that made them lose all their fans? Why is so much of the show dedicated to a painfully boring het romance that drags on like a concrete boot? Trek should be at the forefront of inclusive media, not sort of puttering around the rear.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

With all the comments accusing DIS of being 'politically correct', 'agenda pushing' and now the accusation that its not trying hard enough... If I were a producer or writer on the show, I'd be banging my head against the wall.

Personally. I feel that what they're doing is fine and still more than most shows. Would a TG character be good, yes but I still can't say the show 'isn't diverse. As I've mentioned on another thread, there are certain things that Trek in particular needs to consider when casting for such a character.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

MrL1992 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:58 pm With all the comments accusing DIS of being 'politically correct', 'agenda pushing' and now the accusation that its not trying hard enough... If I were a producer or writer on the show, I'd be banging my head against the wall.

Personally. I feel that what they're doing is fine and still more than most shows. Would a TG character be good, yes but I still can't say the show 'isn't diverse. As I've mentioned on another thread, there are certain things that Trek in particular needs to consider when casting for such a character.
You're always going to get "SJW AGENDA WAAAARGLEBAAARGLE" gibberish from the alt-right and that sort if you make a show that has non-white people in it, gay people in it, or a woman who isn't wearing a bikini and stripping for the hero's amusement. Those concerns can usually be safely ignored out of hand.

I'm more offended by how they make a huge loud point about how diverse they are in the promotional materials and then...aren't all that diverse.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Worffan101 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:19 pm I'm more offended by how they make a huge loud point about how diverse they are in the promotional materials and then...aren't all that diverse.
To be fair, the marketing team must be really struggling to find reasons to get people to watch the show. It's almost never a good sign when casting decisions (of any kind) are a main focus when selling a show to your potential audiences.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:39 am
Worffan101 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:19 pm I'm more offended by how they make a huge loud point about how diverse they are in the promotional materials and then...aren't all that diverse.
To be fair, the marketing team must be really struggling to find reasons to get people to watch the show. It's almost never a good sign when casting decisions (of any kind) are a main focus when selling a show to your potential audiences.
Weeellll, if you're casting Sir Patrick Stewart, I'd say that would be a big plus. He and Sir Ian McKellen almost managed to make the garbage that was X3 work.

That said. I believe that advertising should be honest. If you advertise something, it should live up to the hype.