Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 trailer and panel

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mebius
Redshirt

Re: Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 trailer and panel

Post by Mebius »

That seems to be a common feeling when watching Discovery it seems. For all the mixed feelings I think that however we feel about it now and end up feeling about it, that the creators did do their jobs. They made a engaging show that got people talking about Star Trek again. I won't begrudge them that.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:52 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:14 pm So you have to be a Nazi to criticize the direction of Star Trek, Star Wars. What is you definition of Nazi. What core beliefs do these Nazis posses and how do they overlap with people critical of the politics of Star Wars?

Why shoudl i think that minority demographics care about the politics of this franchises to the extent that it moves markets?
That is not what I said at all. Did you even read what I said? I said that Nazis, or the alt-right as they call themselves now since Richard Spencer thought that would help them avoid being called out for being fucking Nazis, will hate anything more diverse than the SS and any politics to the left of Hitler.

It's entirely possible to criticize Star Wars and Star Trek from a reasonable perspective; TFA was by and large a paint-by-numbers rehash of ANH and contained a mediocre villain, TLJ still focused on that conceptually interesting but practically annoying villain, and while also conceptually brilliant only works if you've never seen Empire Strikes Back; and Solo was NEVER going to make lots of money, being a completely unnecessary origin story for a character who already had his origin story and who only fanboys really care about the backstory to.

In the same vein, the LGBT Trekkie community was up in arms over STD's fridging of a gay character (hey, protip, CBS, maybe you dickheads should look at the CW, where they killed off a lesbian character in basically the same exact way down to her death basically being for shock value, an brought her back as a ghost just as you did, and lost most of their fans because of it--maybe you shouldn't do the exact same nasty bullshit thing?), any reasonable person can point out that the showrunners lied repeatedly in their overheated "After Trek" nonsense, and you don't have to be a fucking Nazi to point out that Discovery's addiction to overblown stakes and inability to follow through on their supposed "planning" (because they didn't plan anything, they just threw stuff at a wall and took the laziest possible options out of what stuck) made for a really disappointing and nonsensical finale.

And while I love Michelle Yeoh as much as the next guy, and hey, the entire goddamn cast is acting their hearts out, even the Klingons who can barely speak around all that goofy rubber, it's pretty hard to avoid the fact that they stooped to the Depraved Bisexual trope AGAIN and that Mirror Georgiou is so pointlessly violent and psychopathic that not only is it stretching credibility that she can run ANY country for any length of time, but also it's quite frankly ridiculous that even Burnham would be gullible and/or stupid enough to believe that her creepy pseudoincestuous fee-fees for Burnham would spontaneously turn the cannibalistic mass-murdering evil opposite of Georgiou into a good guy, even temporarily.
So only Nazis woudl have a problem with politcally motivated casting or storytelling coming from partisan politics?

Yeah Discovery finale sucked and it was not the greatest thing since sliced bread in general.
TheNewTeddy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:05 am Discovery has a unique way of impacting me that no other series ever has before

Everything, EVERYTHING I heard about it before I watched the first episode convinced me it was going to be terrible.

The first episode convinced me it was terrible.

The second one too.

Even the third one wasn't enough to change my mind.

However, by the mid-late season I was hooked, and thought the show as just awesome.

But, after the last episode of the season, I just thought it was plain awful.

And now everything I hear about the 2nd season convinces me it's going to be horrible.

edited to add this is how I picture things:

episode 1: "hi I'm captain pike, I just gave command of the enterprise over to captain kirk even though its 9 years too early for that" "hi captain pike, I'm spock's sister can I see him" "sure he's right over there, hi spock played by the same guy as in the movies" "live long and prosper, hello sister I never speak of for some reason, I will be playing a major role in this season doing stuff I'll never talk about"

episode 4: "mr saru, even though you've shown you are competent enough to be captain, I need your opinion on something" "well captain since this scene is written to make you look awesome I'll just give you some bad advice you can later modify into something better" "ah like how riker turned dumb after the borg incident" "exactly sir"

episode 7: "we are the borg, just dont tell nobody" "k get it crew, dont tell nobody" "ok"

episode 11: "Ash Tyler!! What are you doing here!!"

episode 15: "wow that was a great series finale, too bad saru and stammets died, guess we'll never hag an alien captain, oh well we'll make the cadet the new engineer and ash can become the first officer! everything will be great!!"
The rest of Trek did not set a very high bar.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:32 amSo only Nazis woudl have a problem with politcally motivated casting or storytelling coming from partisan politics?

Yeah Discovery finale sucked and it was not the greatest thing since sliced bread in general.
Please read my entire post, wherein I say the opposite of what you're accusing me of here.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

And all I wanted was reasonable discussion and speculation on season 2.

This is why I gave up on foruks for years.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:32 amSo only Nazis woudl have a problem with politcally motivated casting or storytelling coming from partisan politics?

Please read my entire post, wherein I say the opposite of what you're accusing me of here.
Based on what you wrote is my conclusion unreasonable?
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Yes. Your conclusion is completely unreasonable and leads me to believe that you're looking for a fight.

Which I'm really not interested in, so let me just reiterate, it's entirely possible to criticize any media from a reasonable perspective, but the Nazis will always whine if a TV show or movie casts anyone who isn't lily-white or shows a political opinion to the left of Hitler.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Yes. Your conclusion is completely unreasonable and leads me to believe that you're looking for a fight.

Which I'm really not interested in, so let me just reiterate, it's entirely possible to criticize any media from a reasonable perspective, but the Nazis will always whine if a TV show or movie casts anyone who isn't lily-white or shows a political opinion to the left of Hitler.
And why the heck did you see them as relevant enough to mention them in this context? There are way more other groups with way larger numbers.