New Star Trek series staring Sir Patrick Stewart

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: New Star Trek series staring Sir Patrick Stewart

Post by MrL1992 »

Well if it can give the character a better final story than Nemesis this its worth rolling the dice on.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:05 am
TheNewTeddy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 am oh god. It's going to be out picard after he retires

this is going to be awful.

remember too that all those awkward "picard as action hero" scenes were all stewart's idea.

It's going to be an old man pretending he's harrison ford while in the star trek universe.
Could he even do that action stuff with his old man bod?
With the magic of special effects, he can do anything.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

It will be interesting to see the state of the Romulans after the whole supernova incident. True that CBS is under no obligation to keep that plot point but given Kurtzman's involvement, it'll likely stick.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Patrick Stewart is a very old man. I have no pleasure in saying that, aging is a tragic thing. But, nevertheless, its true. Those of you envisioning some grand last adventure for Picard are going to be very disappointed. Whatever this product is, it is going to be ''Captain Picard sits in a chair'' mixed with ''Captain Picard hobbles slowly down a corridor.'' And I will remind those willing to jump on me for pointing that out that Chuck himself noted that the TNG crew seemed too old for the roles in Nemesis... and that film is 16 years old.

I am also worried by the lack of other TNG castmembers confirmed for this return. I don't want to see Picard act alongside strangers, or worse, act alongside the STD or Abrams crews who I really do not care about.

And, not going to lie, but the timing of this and his anti-Brexit activism is also suspect. I have a nasty feeling there is going to be some ''one part of the Federation breaks away from the other and that is evil'' plot.

Those are my concerns... the pluses however is that we could have our first true Star Trek since Enterprise finished. I can think of many different plots - the red matter, the destruction of Romulus and the fallout, post-war Dominion, post Borg Voyager, even a series that follows the ill Picard from All Good Things. I think the latter would be poignant, sad and interesting all in one go.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:37 pm Patrick Stewart is a very old man. I have no pleasure in saying that, aging is a tragic thing. But, nevertheless, its true. Those of you envisioning some grand last adventure for Picard are going to be very disappointed. Whatever this product is, it is going to be ''Captain Picard sits in a chair'' mixed with ''Captain Picard hobbles slowly down a corridor.'' And I will remind those willing to jump on me for pointing that out that Chuck himself noted that the TNG crew seemed too old for the roles in Nemesis... and that film is 16 years old.
It all depends. A big part of the reason the crew seemed too old in Nemesis is because they were portrayed as action heroes, which was never really their game. Patrick Stewart in particular wasn't suited for it, as evidenced by lackluster episodes like Q-pid and Captain's Holiday or any of the movies (although he gets by in First Contact). I always found it kind of amusing just how much more convincing Shatner (a Shatner 25 years removed from TOS) was as a man of action taking on Soren in Generations.

The Picard who is a diplomat, negotiator, orator, leader, and explorer with a sense of wonder- those are his strengths, and that's a Picard that I think Patrick Stewart can still pull off.

With that said, I feel like it would be odd to see him still as a captain of a starship.
The owls are not what they seem.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:13 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:05 am
TheNewTeddy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 am oh god. It's going to be out picard after he retires

this is going to be awful.

remember too that all those awkward "picard as action hero" scenes were all stewart's idea.

It's going to be an old man pretending he's harrison ford while in the star trek universe.
Could he even do that action stuff with his old man bod?
With the magic of special effects, he can do anything.
I doubt they have unlimited CGI budget.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I just want a Frakkin 25th Century Enterprise series.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Im Happy Don't Ruin this for me.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I'm crossing my fingers; they announced the author of the Yiddish Policeman's Union is going to be on the writing team, and I loved that book, plus there's no way Kurtzman can possibly ruin TWO shows at once (not even Kurtzman is THAT bad, right?), so there's a good chance this will be good.

After three straight Trek shows have burned me, though, and the intensely negative reaction I had to STD, I'm remaining cautious in my optimism.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:37 pm Patrick Stewart is a very old man. I have no pleasure in saying that, aging is a tragic thing. But, nevertheless, its true. Those of you envisioning some grand last adventure for Picard are going to be very disappointed. Whatever this product is, it is going to be ''Captain Picard sits in a chair'' mixed with ''Captain Picard hobbles slowly down a corridor.'' And I will remind those willing to jump on me for pointing that out that Chuck himself noted that the TNG crew seemed too old for the roles in Nemesis... and that film is 16 years old.
The word Chuck used was tired, which is different and more accurate. The TOS cast did their roles nearly double that amount of time, it can be done if it's made well and kept fresh. Patrick Stuart himself has shown far more energy & bounce in subsequent roles after Trek. Particularly in X-Men, I couldn't believe most of those movies were made after Nemesis. I personally thought Stuart looked pretty much finished after that, but then in those other projects he just looked much more energised and interested.

As for the project itself, I hope it is back to a return of the TV Picard we all know and love. Instead of that crying, angry, violent and rally-car driving madman we saw in the movies.