New Star Trek series staring Sir Patrick Stewart

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: New Star Trek series staring Sir Patrick Stewart

Post by MrL1992 »

Enterprising wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:18 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:37 pm Patrick Stewart is a very old man. I have no pleasure in saying that, aging is a tragic thing. But, nevertheless, its true. Those of you envisioning some grand last adventure for Picard are going to be very disappointed. Whatever this product is, it is going to be ''Captain Picard sits in a chair'' mixed with ''Captain Picard hobbles slowly down a corridor.'' And I will remind those willing to jump on me for pointing that out that Chuck himself noted that the TNG crew seemed too old for the roles in Nemesis... and that film is 16 years old.
The word Chuck used was tired, which is different and more accurate. The TOS cast did their roles nearly double that amount of time, it can be done if it's made well and kept fresh. Patrick Stuart himself has shown far more energy & bounce in subsequent roles after Trek. Particularly in X-Men, I couldn't believe most of those movies were made after Nemesis. I personally thought Stuart looked pretty much finished after that, but then in those other projects he just looked much more energised and interested.

As for the project itself, I hope it is back to a return of the TV Picard we all know and love. Instead of that crying, angry, violent and rally-car driving madman we saw in the movies.

He said he'll be a different Picard, changed over 20 extra years worth of experiences. And tyats a key factor that motivated him to come back. The most natural course of action I'd say (I happen to love Picard in First Contact).

So if the pattern continues from a certain other major franchise's character and their change after many years, there's going to be a lot of salt and some fans complaining forever and never letting it go. Not looking foreard to that!
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:45 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:37 pm Patrick Stewart is a very old man. I have no pleasure in saying that, aging is a tragic thing. But, nevertheless, its true. Those of you envisioning some grand last adventure for Picard are going to be very disappointed. Whatever this product is, it is going to be ''Captain Picard sits in a chair'' mixed with ''Captain Picard hobbles slowly down a corridor.'' And I will remind those willing to jump on me for pointing that out that Chuck himself noted that the TNG crew seemed too old for the roles in Nemesis... and that film is 16 years old.
The word Chuck used was tired, which is different and more accurate. The TOS cast did their roles nearly double that amount of time, it can be done if it's made well and kept fresh. Patrick Stuart himself has shown far more energy & bounce in subsequent roles after Trek. Particularly in X-Men, I couldn't believe most of those movies were made after Nemesis. I personally thought Stuart looked pretty much finished after that, but then in those other projects he just looked much more energised and interested.

As for the project itself, I hope it is back to a return of the TV Picard we all know and love. Instead of that crying, angry, violent and rally-car driving madman we saw in the movies.

He said he'll be a different Picard, changed over 20 extra years worth of experiences. And tyats a key factor that motivated him to come back. The most natural course of action I'd say (I happen to love Picard in First Contact).

So if the pattern continues from a certain other major franchise's character and their change after many years, there's going to be a lot of salt and some fans complaining forever and never letting it go. Not looking foreard to that!
I assume you are referring to Luke. As one of those salty fans, I can promise you that as long as Picard doesn't drink straight from the boobs of a space cow and try to murder his nephew in his sleep I can live with him.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

I
clearspira wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 pm

I assume you are referring to Luke. As one of those salty fans, I can promise you that as long as Picard doesn't drink straight from the boobs of a space cow and try to murder his nephew in his sleep I can live with him.
The writers already killed his nephew so no dilemma three!

However you respond to whatever they write will depend on how you virw Picard ultimately. Its evident that people's views on Luke differed greatly.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Hey, chugging a blue jug of space-tiddy juice in front of your new apprentice is a power-move that would make Yoda proud.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I too am wary. I'm excited for the possibility of finally moving ahead and forward and outward again, and I'm happy to see Picard back. Like so much else, it will all depend on the execution. Does Kurtzman and his team have it in them? We shall see. So far there's nothing here to go on, so the waiting begins...
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:11 pm Hey, chugging a blue jug of space-tiddy juice in front of your new apprentice is a power-move that would make Yoda proud.
This is a strong point. Luke learned from the Master of Trolls.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

I was chatting with a friend about this, and my big question was, "Why Patrick Stewart?"

I get that, for instance, Jonathan Frakes and Levar Burton have mostly moved beyond acting into directing...but what's Avery Brooks doing these days, or anyone from the DS9 cast?

Using Patrick Stewart feels too strongly like they're banking purely on the nostalgia to bring people in, like having Michael inexplicably be Saren's adoptive daughter (rather than literally any other Vulcan they could have used).
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

It'd be nice if it was older Picard commanding a younger Captains as an Admiral, or as Ambassador of the Federation and has an assigned ship tasked to him. Then he doesn't have to be an action hero.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

bronnt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:08 am I was chatting with a friend about this, and my big question was, "Why Patrick Stewart?"

I get that, for instance, Jonathan Frakes and Levar Burton have mostly moved beyond acting into directing...but what's Avery Brooks doing these days, or anyone from the DS9 cast?

Using Patrick Stewart feels too strongly like they're banking purely on the nostalgia to bring people in, like having Michael inexplicably be Saren's adoptive daughter (rather than literally any other Vulcan they could have used).
Picard is probably the most familiar for the casuals and regular non Trek fans.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:27 am
bronnt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:08 am I was chatting with a friend about this, and my big question was, "Why Patrick Stewart?"

Picard is probably the most familiar for the casuals and regular non Trek fans.
TNG was the only other series beyond TOS that enjoyed the same level of mainstream cultural penetration.

It has. Got me thinking about 'Countdown', the prewuel comic to the 2009 film which saw Picard as an Ambassador. I know a lot of people enjoyed it abd felt it strengthened their enhoyment of the movie but I doubt it'll be acknowledged (aside from Romulus' destruction) and the same goes for Star Trek: Online or any spin-off media beyond Nemesis.
Quixotica
Redshirt

Post by Quixotica »

Honestly even if this is just one season before Stewart retires (dudes nearly 80) I'm just glad his final curtain call as Picard won't be in that gods awful Nemesis. I'd actually be 100% ok if they just completely pretended that film didn't even happen.

A bit OT but I never understood why that bothered people. Luke started as a country bumpkin farmer and ended as a slightly less bumpkinish country farmer. As someone who grew up in a similar if more Earth-bound situation.. well yeah that's exactly where you get your milk from. More than one mornings hearty breakfast was literally as fresh as you can get. Was also a nice bit of world building since it showed both how he's been living and gave insight into his character all without exposition. Also that scene with his Nephew was among Luke's best in the franchise but that's another thread.