Off-topic Star Wars discussion

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Off-topic Star Wars discussion

Post by Karha of Honor »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:11 pm I generally trust Leia over Poe.

Maybe those bombers would have saved a lot of lives.
Based on?

Just based on the movies she is only good at diplomacy and can do some minimal commando stuff.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 pm
TGLS wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 pm They've made 9% over the past year. No grievances there.
ESPN idiocy and Star Wars are still dragging it down.
Proof that its in any way meaningful? The only thing they would care about is Solo's financials. As it outright lost them money.

And when they're likely to soon own even more? I wouldn't be selling my shares (if I had any) anytime soon.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pmBased on?

Just based on the movies she is only good at diplomacy and can do some minimal commando stuff.
Based on the fact she's the leader of the Resistance and already has one intergalactic Empire under her belt. I see no reason to give Poe the benefit of the doubt.

Part of the movie's point was deconstructing blind heroism and courage.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Based on the fact she's the leader of the Resistance and already has one intergalactic Empire under her belt. I see no reason to give Poe the benefit of the doubt.

One of my issues with the new series is that Leia hasn't actually done anything. She didn't do anything in Awakens, she spent most of Last in a coma and given the passing of Carrie Fisher, (F U 2016!!!) it's unlikely that she will do anything in E9. Just because Leia is now called a General that doesn't automatically make her a better leader. Honestly she did more in A New Hope then the entirety of the new Trilogy so far. You could even argue, as George Lucas himself has, that Leia is the real hero of E4 as she is the one who moves the plot forward the most while Luke and Han are more along for the ride.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

She's the leader of the Resistance.

She's the reason there's one.

Just sayin.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 pm

It's the Last Stand of the Resistance for some reason. It's really the wrong time frame, Poe would look too sympathetic.. Also Holdo should not be condascending considering the gravity of the situation.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Winter wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 pm One of my issues with the new series is that Leia hasn't actually done anything. She didn't do anything in Awakens, she spent most of Last in a coma and given the passing of Carrie Fisher, (F U 2016!!!) it's unlikely that she will do anything in E9. Just because Leia is now called a General that doesn't automatically make her a better leader. Honestly she did more in A New Hope then the entirety of the new Trilogy so far. You could even argue, as George Lucas himself has, that Leia is the real hero of E4 as she is the one who moves the plot forward the most while Luke and Han are more along for the ride.
I honestly think that the entire reason Holdo was in the movie was to blatantly replace Carrie Fisher's role. I imagine that an early script of the movie had Leia in charge of everything dealing with the fleet and the secret plan, but Carrie Fisher was not physically well enough to carry the role with the kind of presence that was required. So what we get is putting her in a coma, taking her out of the main action, and introducing another character. That might explain why Holdo is so paper-thin on characterization.

I also suspect that they knew that Carrie Fisher would not be around much longer and that killing off Princess Leia might be in bad taste. It doesn't make up for the fact that Holdo is very poorly written, but it might explain in.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I still think it's an interesting point that Holdo has no reason to trust or take Poe into her confidence but we, the audience, act like she does because he's a protagonist.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 am I still think it's an interesting point that Holdo has no reason to trust or take Poe into her confidence but we, the audience, act like she does because he's a protagonist.
Do they suspect a mole in the resistance? Otherwise, not telling your subordinates the plan is not good leadership.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Antiboyscout wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 am I still think it's an interesting point that Holdo has no reason to trust or take Poe into her confidence but we, the audience, act like she does because he's a protagonist.
Do they suspect a mole in the resistance? Otherwise, not telling your subordinates the plan is not good leadership.
they dont know how theyre being tracked, poe doesnt tell her when finn tells him