Chris Pine is out of next Trek movie

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: Chris Pine is out of next Trek movie

Post by MrL1992 »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:22 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:50 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:40 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 88196.html

Both Chris Pine (James. T Kirk) and Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk) have reportedly drooped out of the project due to contract disputes,

This movie eas planned to centre Kirk and his father reuniting via means we can only guess (Star Trek time travel method no 68 I guess).so what on Earth do they do now? They say its still happening and all the other Kelvin timeline actors are signed.

I see five potential outcomes:

1) Continue without a Kirk, make Spock the Captain and have the father/son storyline with him or another crew member (McCoy maybe? Expand oj TFF's one good scene?)

2) Recast the Kirks. They've done it before then why not? My only concern is if this particular kind of story is the best for introducing hew actors into the roles, it feels like you'd want to properly acclimate the audience the them first.

3) Scramble to get Pine and Hemsworth back.

4) continue without Kirk but scrap the current script and put together a new story.

5) Re-focus on Quentin Tarintino's proposed project with or without the current actors.

No I don't see them giving up on tube franchise nor Paramount and CBS resolving their issues, so no prime timeline return eithet. Sorrybto those of you wjo dislike these movies.

Quite a conundrum hm?
6) Reboot Star Trek The Next Generation. You just know they want to bring back the Borg.
Again? What is wrong with reusing something more rarely used?
TNG is equal to TOS in being a cultural zeitgeist - that means that it is the next best option to make lots of $$$. And of all of the original enemies in TNG, the Borg are the most famous and recognizable to non Trekkies, which again means $$$. That is how their minds work.
The Narada crew was never seen before and it worked.
The fact that they act nothing like Romulans, look nothing like Romulans, are flying a ship that looks nothing like any other Romulan ship we have ever seen and whose only motivation was a boring ''revenge'' plot that took them twenty years for no on-screen reason has attracted plenty of criticism. The idea that they worked is very YMMV.

But you are missing the point. Ask yourself this: why bring back Khan? Of all villains in all of Star Trek, why bring back Khan? Because he is the villain from the film that most people put at number 1 on their list of best TOS films and thus he is the one that they thought would bring in the Benjamins. I'll give you a hint each as to what the number 1 episode of TNG is, and what the number 1 TNG film is.

''Mister Worf, FIRE!!!'' dun dun dun, dun dun dun.
''Borg implants can cause severe skin irritations, perhaps you would like an analgesic cream?''

Well the Narada consisted of miners bot military which was almost all the exposure we had to Romulan's before.

The big problem i had with how they did Khan was how they just repeated the same pkot beats as before in a less compelling manner. My own radical idea would have been to perhaps redeem the character in some way. The ending to 'Space Seed' certainly hinted at that as a potential outcoje gut circumstanfes made history take a differentbt turn.

If they're doing an alternate remixed canoh they realky seize upoj the possibilities.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:22 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:50 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:40 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 88196.html

Both Chris Pine (James. T Kirk) and Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk) have reportedly drooped out of the project due to contract disputes,

This movie eas planned to centre Kirk and his father reuniting via means we can only guess (Star Trek time travel method no 68 I guess).so what on Earth do they do now? They say its still happening and all the other Kelvin timeline actors are signed.

1) Continue without a Kirk, make Spock the Captain and have the father/son storyline with him or another crew member (McCoy maybe? Expand oj TFF's one good scene?)

2) Recast the Kirks. They've done it before then why not? My only concern is if this particular kind of story is the best for introducing hew actors into the roles, it feels like you'd want to properly acclimate the audience the them first.

4) continue without Kirk but scrap the current script and put together a new story.

5) Re-focus on Quentin Tarintino's proposed project with or without the current actors.

No I don't see them giving up on tube franchise nor Paramount and CBS resolving their issues, so no prime timeline return eithet. Sorrybto those of you wjo dislike these movies.

Quite a conundrum hm?
6) Reboot Star Trek The Next Generation. You just know they want to bring back the Borg.
Again? What is wrong with reusing something more rarely used?
TNG is equal to TOS in being a cultural zeitgeist - that means that it is the next best option to make lots of $$$. And of all of the original enemies in TNG, the Borg are the most famous and recognizable to non Trekkies, which again means $$$. That is how their minds work.
The Narada crew was never seen before and it worked.
The fact that they act nothing like Romulans, look nothing like Romulans, are flying a ship that looks nothing like any other Romulan ship we have ever seen and whose only motivation was a boring ''revenge'' plot that took them twenty years for no on-screen reason has attracted plenty of criticism. The idea that they worked is very YMMV.

But you are missing the point. Ask yourself this: why bring back Khan? Of all villains in all of Star Trek, why bring back Khan? Because he is the villain from the film that most people put at number 1 on their list of best TOS films and thus he is the one that they thought would bring in the Benjamins. I'll give you a hint each as to what the number 1 episode of TNG is, and what the number 1 TNG film is.

''Mister Worf, FIRE!!!'' dun dun dun, dun dun dun.
''Borg implants can cause severe skin irritations, perhaps you would like an analgesic cream?''
They felt like they wanted to fan wank on the top of a plot that worked on it's own.

Thye would probably had been better off if they left him out of it.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

A freak transporter accident turns Kirk into Shia LaBeouf?
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm A freak transporter accident turns Kirk into Shia LaBeouf?
Working title: Indiana Jones and the Final Frontier
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Quite a conundrum hm?
TO be fair this is being painted as a contract negotiation and a tacit that actors have used to get more money. Both Chris-s careers are much bigger but Pine probably wants more money that Hemsworth since Pine is playing the lead in this film series. Although, Hemsworth is now a massive star all thanks to Marvel (and Pine's work in the DCEU isn't too far behind but the DCEU seems like a dead end for anything that isn't Wonder Woman). I am also not saying that either one will be back either.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

PerrySimm wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm A freak transporter accident turns Kirk into Shia LaBeouf?
Working title: Indiana Jones and the Final Frontier
After Disney managed to make the TFA and the TLJ, don't even joke about this shit.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

cilantro wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:48 am

Quite a conundrum hm?
TO be fair this is being painted as a contract negotiation and a tacit that actors have used to get more money. Both Chris-s careers are much bigger but Pine probably wants more money that Hemsworth since Pine is playing the lead in this film series. Although, Hemsworth is now a massive star all thanks to Marvel (and Pine's work in the DCEU isn't too far behind but the DCEU seems like a dead end for anything that isn't Wonder Woman). I am also not saying that either one will be back either.
From what I understand, Pine was contracted to receive a certain amount for a fourth movie but Paramount wants hum to take a cut as they're unsure about the film's profitability.

You can understand both perspectives. The Star Trek films, old or new, have never been the most consistent money makers in the industry. The previous film underperformed despite a positive reception froj most. So of course they'll be nervous and its far from the first time a Trek movie has been bogged down by pay disputes. Regardless though, Pine and Paramount had an agreement which one of them now wahts to renege on and it isn't likr this huge corporation cannot bite the bullet and find the money.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Without seeing the numbers it's hard to make a judgment. Certainly, it would be nice if the Gini coefficient of movie payrolls would be lower in general.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

MrL1992 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:48 pm
cilantro wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:48 am

Quite a conundrum hm?
From what I understand, Pine was contracted to receive a certain amount for a fourth movie but Paramount wants hum to take a cut as they're unsure about the film's profitability.

You can understand both perspectives. The Star Trek films, old or new, have never been the most consistent money makers in the industry. The previous film underperformed despite a positive reception froj most. So of course they'll be nervous and its far from the first time a Trek movie has been bogged down by pay disputes. Regardless though, Pine and Paramount had an agreement which one of them now wahts to renege on and it isn't likr this huge corporation cannot bite the bullet and find the money.
Oh, I thought that Hemsworth was asking for more money and Pine wanted to be the one that makes the most, since he is playing the main character in the series?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thinking about this further, does anyone here really care about Hemsworth being in this film? We saw George for all of five minutes three films ago. All that is going to happen is that he'll come back to life, they'll fight some enemy together, and then he'll die again. I'm sorry, but Pine is worth 100% more to the success of this franchise than Hemsworth is.

Give the money you were going to give to Hemsworth to Pine.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.