Star Wars Resistance trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Star Wars Resistance trailer

Post by Karha of Honor »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDHWc40hXq8[/youtube]

It's gonna be a bumpy ride. For me sure.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Star Wars Resistance trailer

Post by Robovski »

Looks not for me - as in I'm not the intended audience. Which is disappointing but expected.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:18 am [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDHWc40hXq8[/youtube]

Every cartoon in the west now seems to be a Teen Titans clone or fake anime. This looks to be the latter.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:08 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:18 am [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDHWc40hXq8[/youtube]

Every cartoon in the west now seems to be a Teen Titans clone or fake anime. This looks to be the latter.
I never saw an anime with this ugly art style.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

It looks awful. The art style, the characters, the dialogue, everything about this is just awful. At least Titans Go has a metatextual sense of humour that's hilarious when an episode handles it right. THIS is just looking flat out awful.

Also, have you seen its time slot? 10:00 PM on weekdays. I have to wonder if someone at Disney or Lucasfilm recognizes what a dumpster fire this is and gave it that time slot, a time when those most interested won't be able to, in order to kill it off.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

It looks like a copy of Star Wars: Rebels (character wise), but with bad animation. At least, this will get people to stop dumping on Rebels.

I’ll give it a try. Maybe it’ll be better than it appears. Clones and Rebels both improved in time, so this could too.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

It's that Borderlands x Star Wars crossover I've always wanted!
Naldiin
Redshirt

Post by Naldiin »

I have no idea if it will be a good show, but that's honestly a pretty poor trailer.

1) I have no idea what this show is about or what the intended tone is. The main character is basically an internal spy, people are getting thrown off buildings, and we're in a military organization - all of which would normally suggest a darker, rogue-one kinda tone? But also we're doing light-hearted racing, the ships they're flying aren't fighters, and the animation makes the cast look very young - so maybe it's a light hearted romp? About someone spying on his friends?

A trailer ideally should establish your tone and content. If the *trailer* is this scattered, I would worry about the show.

2) I see the complaints on the art-style. So - this sort of art-style can work, I think, but the key (again) is tone. If this is a light-hearted adventure for the kids, the style may be about right. If they're intending the tonal equivalent of Star Wars Rebels though (or Avatar/Korra, for a stronger example), this art direction is almost certainly a mistake.

'Anime-style' is not bad in-and-of-itself. The question is, "does it fit your tone?" Teen Titans (the first animated series) and Teen Titans: GO! both have perfectly chosen animation styles for their tone and content.

3) Music and Sound. This is a Star Wars property, not a core Disney property. Why on earth does the trailer run to Generic Adventure Music #115? Star Wars has a signature sound, and Disney paid a LOT of money to be able to use that sound - why on earth not? There are, at this point, a lot of variations on the Force leitmotif which range from playful to very dark - find the right one, use it.

4) Timeline placement. This is presumably about pre-TFA resistance members...given how TLJ ends, doesn't that mean we pretty much know 100% of these characters die? The last resistance fleet lost 100% of their fighter pilots when the hanger blew up. The whole resistance is down to like, two-dozen survivors, max, about the Falcon. I suppose they got themselves out of this exact same jam with Ahsoka, but still - maybe pick a corner of your universe that isn't bound for death-by-burning?

Overall, this seems like a project getting dumped at a bad timeslot with a bad trailer - presumably because it just didn't come together in production and the execs know it. Unfortunate, really.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

The art style is mostly a problem because it just looks cheap - easy to chuck out with a computer, the modern version of the Filmation style.