The Mandalorin

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Meushell
Officer

Re: The Mandalorin

Post by Meushell »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 am
unknownsample wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:23 pm
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 pm I like the new Trilogy and dislike the "Star Wars Story" stuff.
This looks like it will work, because it is about an original character, but contains the trappings of the franchise that have been shown to be popular.
It is also not about a planet destroying super weapon.
Blimey someone on here likes the new trilogy?
Honestly, the amount of bitching is just baffling to me.
At a certain point I have to assume what marks someone as a "fan" of Star Wars is their capacity to complain about Star Wars.

I've seen 7 and 8 twice each, and liked them each time. People seem to dislike things that I like in the movies, so whenever somebody tells me, "This thing was so bad..." I have just started to tune them out.

There is a never ending font of genre fiction in the world now I have no idea how anybody has time to hate anything for more than a few minutes.
I’m not really a fan of TLJ, but even I’m tired of the complaints about the movie. It’s in large part because so many people aren’t just, “I don’t like this movie,” but they are overly dramatic about it, and they believe they speak for all fans. That, and it happens every time something new Star Wars comes out.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Meushell wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:12 pm
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 am
unknownsample wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:23 pm
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 pm I like the new Trilogy and dislike the "Star Wars Story" stuff.
This looks like it will work, because it is about an original character, but contains the trappings of the franchise that have been shown to be popular.
It is also not about a planet destroying super weapon.
Blimey someone on here likes the new trilogy?
Honestly, the amount of bitching is just baffling to me.
At a certain point I have to assume what marks someone as a "fan" of Star Wars is their capacity to complain about Star Wars.

I've seen 7 and 8 twice each, and liked them each time. People seem to dislike things that I like in the movies, so whenever somebody tells me, "This thing was so bad..." I have just started to tune them out.

There is a never ending font of genre fiction in the world now I have no idea how anybody has time to hate anything for more than a few minutes.
I’m not really a fan of TLJ, but even I’m tired of the complaints about the movie. It’s in large part because so many people aren’t just, “I don’t like this movie,” but they are overly dramatic about it, and they believe they speak for all fans. That, and it happens every time something new Star Wars comes out.
If somone says in 2012 November that National Review will write Star Wars was drafted into the culture wars i just walk away laughing.

Disney choose to do this.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

There is no "culture wars" involved in Star Wars beyond a few right-wing trolls stirring shit up. I mean, look how they edited Kelly Marie Tran's Wookieepedia page to get an idea what I mean, painting her as a dumb, drooling jungle retard. Pure racism at its worst. I prefer something like WorldofGeekdom. He is professional in his criticisms without bringing up politics. Very rarely has he done so at all, and I appreciate that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:57 am There is no "culture wars" involved in Star Wars beyond a few right-wing trolls stirring shit up. I mean, look how they edited Kelly Marie Tran's Wookieepedia page to get an idea what I mean, painting her as a dumb, drooling jungle retard. Pure racism at its worst. I prefer something like WorldofGeekdom. He is professional in his criticisms without bringing up politics. Very rarely has he done so at all, and I appreciate that.
Doesn't Disney also own ESPN and did they also not get political?

The character is kinda retarded for someone to be the last hope of the Rebellion. Sounds like fairly diluted racism even if it even was that.

Didn't JJ make statement Lucas would never had made? Didn't managment start spouting about gender issues out of nowhere?

People are mush but the loud minorities are at war from boith sides over the franchise.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... do they? Sorry, I have no idea. Disney also bought Fox, though, and Fox News has no intentions on changing, so it's just a big company that's going to pit left vs. right against one another to get us all furious at each other to make them more money.

Well, I do know recently those in charge of Star Trek think it's a capitalist economy, which is fucking hilarious because Trek is about as forward-thinking post-scarcity as you can get.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:51 pm ... do they? Sorry, I have no idea. Disney also bought Fox, though, and Fox News has no intentions on changing, so it's just a big company that's going to pit left vs. right against one another to get us all furious at each other to make them more money.

Well, I do know recently those in charge of Star Trek think it's a capitalist economy, which is fucking hilarious because Trek is about as forward-thinking post-scarcity as you can get.
They did not buy the news division.

It worked like a charm for last years NFL ratings and Star Wars. ESPN is also bleeding subscribers.

Oh if that sort of divisive idiocy works give some examples from before 2013 that are similar.

Give me source for the second pharagraph.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:57 am There is no "culture wars" involved in Star Wars beyond a few right-wing trolls stirring shit up. I mean, look how they edited Kelly Marie Tran's Wookieepedia page to get an idea what I mean, painting her as a dumb, drooling jungle retard. Pure racism at its worst. I prefer something like WorldofGeekdom. He is professional in his criticisms without bringing up politics. Very rarely has he done so at all, and I appreciate that.
Yes indeed, but Slash will do what he does best pull statements out of his backside and play whataboutery.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

unknownsample wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 pm
Yes indeed, but Slash will do what he does best pull statements out of his backside and play whataboutery.
Is there a forcefield preventing you from challenging what i say?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Did you see what those right-wing trolls posted about Kelly Marie Tran on Wookieepedia? I know what you'll say though, instantly. That it was left-wingers editing the page, then taking a screenshot before anyone could see, and then posting it to their news sites. Whatever. Though I should tell you it got so bad the mods had to be involved, and frankly racism and xenophobia is either something the right wing uses to troll people with, or they believe in it themselves, so frankly, I see this as being legit.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:30 pm Did you see what those right-wing trolls posted about Kelly Marie Tran on Wookieepedia? I know what you'll say though, instantly. That it was left-wingers editing the page, then taking a screenshot before anyone could see, and then posting it to their news sites. Whatever. Though I should tell you it got so bad the mods had to be involved, and frankly racism and xenophobia is either something the right wing uses to troll people with, or they believe in it themselves, so frankly, I see this as being legit.
Why should i care that her wookiepedia was edited and it stayed that way for 6 hours or 2 days?

What if friggin Richard Spencer did it? why should i give a fuck?