TOS Alternate Monster Costumes

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Veggietrekker
Redshirt

TOS Alternate Monster Costumes

Post by Veggietrekker »

Its the 1960’s and for whatever episode(s) you choose you are a producer in some capacity. You see the costume they will be using and shake your head. Then for the same low budget you must come up with a replacement on the fly. What monster and what changes will you do?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: TOS Alternate Monster Costumes

Post by Darth Wedgius »

For the Mugato, some disruptive paint on the face and telling the stuntman to move less ape-ishly might have helped hide that this was an ape costume with bits stuck on. Maybe?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

The gorn. This guy does not hold up very well and looked bad to me when I was a child.
Fix: 1960's? You can get a stuffed alligator back then for not too much. Remove the head and replace the skull with a form for a helmet. Replace eyes with the multi-facet lens from original mask. Lose the outfit. He looks like he is wearing Fred Flintstone's castoffs. He is a space alien. So get a silver fire fighter suit or the base of the Trek space suit. Put on an 'equipment' belt, maybe an insignia on the chest or shoulder. Possible sash if cost permits. Use over sized boots instead of foot prosthetic. See previous statement about alien. Keep modified hand/gloves. Hide the mask and glove seams under the clothing to shorten makeup effects. Now actor can move faster, looks more natural and frightening. And still fits 60's style thematics.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

As far as costumes, don't you think the jumpsuits were dated even for their time?
Power laces... alright.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm As far as costumes, don't you think the jumpsuits were dated even for their time?
Are you referring to my post or the ones worn by several extras on the show?

Because as far as the show motif. Gene supposedly wanted clothing that had no visible closures. I always had pictured that he wanted something like the clothing was beamed on or something. And jumpsuits and pullovers was what the wardrobe department could pull off.

As for a generic defense of jumpsuits. I thought the ship uniforms on Enterprise worked fine. It was a uniform and was functional.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Nealithi wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:20 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm As far as costumes, don't you think the jumpsuits were dated even for their time?
Are you referring to my post or the ones worn by several extras on the show?
I apologize. I was just going a bit off topic intentionally.

Your trivia is well received though.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's something I'd generally advise doing if I was in charge of TOS costumes - making something more like the Daleks on Doctor Who. Their design was timeless and unique. In TOS, it was mostly only ever humanoids, and more humanoids.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Nealithi wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:20 pmAs for a generic defense of jumpsuits. I thought the ship uniforms on Enterprise worked fine. It was a uniform and was functional.
Well yeah it's designed with a reasonable expectation of what such an academy might look like. Granted 250 years ago from today, naval officers wore some pretty dainty looking uniforms. Looking at Apollo 13 though, or some movie based on the early stages of the Vietnam War (not quite sure what to compare Starfleet to), and tonal patterns are a bit more distinguished. The red in TNG era does fine imo, maybe followed by the yellow then teal.
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 pm Here's something I'd generally advise doing if I was in charge of TOS costumes - making something more like the Daleks on Doctor Who. Their design was timeless and unique. In TOS, it was mostly only ever humanoids, and more humanoids.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The Horta also stands out, but sadly, it never came back.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 pm The Horta also stands out, but sadly, it never came back.
Power laces... alright.