Would you live in the Federation?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ORCACommander
Officer

Re: Would you live in the Federation?

Post by ORCACommander »

No. Gene's vision of the utopic future is largely my dystopia. I am a transhumanist and with all all the bans on genetic manipulation, cloning and circumventing mortality the federation can just fuck all the right off.

Also it has the annoying habit of treating individuals outside of first contact scenarios as ambassadors in rank and holding nation states responsible for individuals. Further related Entire species must be united, except the vulkans for some reason
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

My objection to living in the Federation is largely prosaic, what the heck am I supposed to do in the future? I wouldn't have any meaningful skills, I'd be years behind in education (I can barely grok integrals, and primary school kids are learning calculus), I'd be severely retarded in technology, and while I'd be young enough, I really wouldn't want to start university all over again. Everything else... I could go without.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Frell yes!
I'd rather get the salt sucked out of me or be decapitated by klingons than die one of the multifarious lingering deaths that await the poor in our society.
A post-scarcity economy, where I can like...focus on my writing without worrying how I will pay the rent each month and hating myself for eating at a restaurant instead of sticking to the groceries I bought with food stamps? Working only for organizations I WANT to, instead of having such a toxic work environment that I star swigging my flask of bottom-dollar whiskey after I turn the first corner leaving work? Not being subjected to so much emotional abuse that I deliberately run head-first into an office wall and leave a dent that I hope nobody will trace to me and make me pay for?

Blood and stars, yes. At least the Borg provide you with housing and healthcare!

I would strangle puppies for a chance to live the rich, rewarding, well-supported life of a redshirt who gets interestingly killed off by the slime monster.

Also, the peace of mind that comes from knowing your society is substantially less monstrous and twisted. Law enforcement officials who have guns with a stun setting that they are willing to use! Ben Cisco never had to worry about little Jake becoming a hashtag.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:Frell yes!
I'd rather get the salt sucked out of me or be decapitated by klingons than die one of the multifarious lingering deaths that await the poor in our society.
A post-scarcity economy, where I can like...focus on my writing without worrying how I will pay the rent each month and hating myself for eating at a restaurant instead of sticking to the groceries I bought with food stamps? Working only for organizations I WANT to, instead of having such a toxic work environment that I star swigging my flask of bottom-dollar whiskey after I turn the first corner leaving work? Not being subjected to so much emotional abuse that I deliberately run head-first into an office wall and leave a dent that I hope nobody will trace to me and make me pay for?

Blood and stars, yes. At least the Borg provide you with housing and healthcare!

I would strangle puppies for a chance to live the rich, rewarding, well-supported life of a redshirt who gets interestingly killed off by the slime monster.

Also, the peace of mind that comes from knowing your society is substantially less monstrous and twisted. Law enforcement officials who have guns with a stun setting that they are willing to use! Ben Cisco never had to worry about little Jake becoming a hashtag.
Sisko is spelled with an S.

Beyond that, its hard to disagree with any of that.

Well, except for the puppy-strangling, anyway. :?
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

I'm going to say yes because overall it's going to be better but I have some very mixed feelings about how well I'd fit in given that I have depression and social anxiety, considering how the Enterprise crew treated Barclay at first. Even in the twenty-fourth century, no one has heard of anxiety disorders, apparently. Like ... I always liked Barclay, even as a kid, but the first time I rewatched Hollow Pursuits as an adult, it was almost physically painful.
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

Given the other possibilities available in Star Trek, I would. I mean, who the hell else would I join? The Klingons? The Romulans? Cardassians? Borg?

Pretty much everyone else are horrible crapsacks. The Federation at least is a crapsacrine society.

The Federation wins by default as the best of a terrible range.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

TGLS wrote:My objection to living in the Federation is largely prosaic, what the heck am I supposed to do in the future? I wouldn't have any meaningful skills, I'd be years behind in education (I can barely grok integrals, and primary school kids are learning calculus), I'd be severely retarded in technology, and while I'd be young enough, I really wouldn't want to start university all over again. Everything else... I could go without.
The idea of learning so much new stuff is much of the appeal to me.
I can go to free college to learn terraforming and live in a literal paradise.

Or I can just run a restaurant in New Orleans. Or be a writer. There is so much stuff with out the sword of debt constantly hanging over me.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:I'm going to say yes because overall it's going to be better but I have some very mixed feelings about how well I'd fit in given that I have depression and social anxiety, considering how the Enterprise crew treated Barclay at first. Even in the twenty-fourth century, no one has heard of anxiety disorders, apparently. Like ... I always liked Barclay, even as a kid, but the first time I rewatched Hollow Pursuits as an adult, it was almost physically painful.
I think we can just blame that on Troi being awful. Ezri Dax has a better success rate, from what we've seen.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

FaxModem1 wrote:
FakeGeekGirl wrote:I'm going to say yes because overall it's going to be better but I have some very mixed feelings about how well I'd fit in given that I have depression and social anxiety, considering how the Enterprise crew treated Barclay at first. Even in the twenty-fourth century, no one has heard of anxiety disorders, apparently. Like ... I always liked Barclay, even as a kid, but the first time I rewatched Hollow Pursuits as an adult, it was almost physically painful.
I think we can just blame that on Troi being awful. Ezri Dax has a better success rate, from what we've seen.
But shouldn't the non-fail members of the crew been less ablist and more understanding of his needs?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:I think we can just blame that on Troi being awful. Ezri Dax has a better success rate, from what we've seen.
But shouldn't the non-fail members of the crew been less ablist and more understanding of his needs?
I like to imagine that Troi intentionally steered everyone else towards seeing Barclay as just a screwup, so he'd stay miserable and she'd be able to keep up the one-session-per-day quota she needs to have luxury quarters for 'counselling space'.

She probably lost that and had to move back into dog box quarters when Barclay left the ship, and started cosying up to Riker because his quarters had a bath. And started purring "Captain Riker sounds sooo good" at him once she found out that Luna-class captain's quarters had a spa bath too.