What would you do if you were in charge of STD?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: What would you do if you were in charge of STD?

Post by Yukaphile »

You wanna do this? Fine. I'll create a whole separate thread.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Alasar
Redshirt

Post by Alasar »

Hold... The... Camera... Still.....

Might be a homage to the nautical inspirations of starships, but I prefer not to get seasick when I watch a tv show.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Alasar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 am Hold... The... Camera... Still.....
And right-side-up, while we're at it.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

I'd set it in the 25th Century. Most of the plots we've seen could easily take place then too, and still make sense for the most part. The only real change is that Burnham wouldn't be Spock's adopted foster sister, which to me would be an improvement. Just have her as the adopted Human daughter of a high-ranking Vulcan diplomat.

T'Kuvma could represent a growing movement for cultural and spiritual reform in the Klingon Empire, not simply reactionary but transformative, and with an anti-Federation bent to set up the conflict.

Don't bother with the mirror universe.

Anyway, that's my honest view. Discovery should have been the start of a new generation. Not an attempt to shoehorn things into the old timeline.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That doesn't fix stuff like turning Klingons into twin-dicked Orks, and whatever they would have done with the Dominion and the Cardassians, I shudder to think.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

If I was in charge of STD I'd get Shatner back.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

How much does that CGI cost from Rogue One to give him his young face back?
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

I think I'd do a time jump. Five or six years after the current season would be enough, for two reasons: The shadow of the Klingon war would be far more removed from the events, and we'd have enough time to of passed to turn Michael into a captain. It opens up new opportunities for her character to grow, and it gives an excuse to have the other characters play more prominent roles in future episodes. Michael can't constantly go down and risk her life when she has a ship to command after all. And I know that'll happen occasionally anyway because this is star trek and the main characters do everything but it'd at least make it so she doesn't have to do it all the time.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Since Yuka's dabbling in the dark side of not minding retcons if they seem like fun, I'll take a turn clinging to TNG/DS9 with no room for compromise.

Put me in charge of the show and on day one there'll be a security guard on set with a taser ready for anyone to pronounce Kahless or Qo'nos like they've had too much bloodwine. If CBS wants to fight me I swear to god I'll put out a press release renaming the show Dishcovery.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, tbf, that's because Makeshift Python and Mixed Drops take that attitude, so I take the same. Their interpretation is just different than mine is all. And there's no problem in that. It's really just my anxieties about the future of something I love that's the issue. But getting back on topic...

Is that something they're doing? I don't get it, I don't think you explained yourself that well? Or am I just being confused? I mean, are they mispronouncing STD nowadays? :shock: