Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Yukaphile »

Does anyone think Rey is gonna be the one to kill Palpatine? I mean, that's a popular fan theory, or a hated one, given how much of a Sue she is right now, and the only way that'd work would be if it was revealed the revelation that her parents were nobodies was a damn lie, and she's Luke's daughter after all. That'd make it more like Jaina and Jacen, though not really. And it'd ensure that at least it's a Skywalker that takes out Palpatine. Probably he was manipulating Snoke in some way. In fact, that's precisely what's probably going to happen.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Ha ha.

Courtesy of Screen Rant
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:16 am I would just hope the movie isn't a reactionary backpedal running back to nostalgia. Disney is not a typically reactionary so I won't go about making such judgements until more trailers and the film comes out.
A lot of JJ Abrams's movies sell themselves on nostalgia, at least more recently. That was very much the case with TFA and with his version of Star Trek, and even his movie Super 8, which was all about '80s nostalgia. So if anything, this would not be "running back" for him so much as just doing what he's done successfully for some time now.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Once again why is reactionary a dirty word?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I dunno, why do YOU treat progressive as a dirty word? And yes, I'm talking to you, Slash.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/201 ... gh-walker/

An interesting view of things.

Personally, I'm now heavily leaking towards "Skywalker' referring to a new order of Force users, succeeding the Jedi. Especially after learning that Lucas initially considered using the name for that purpose instead of Jedi. Many religions have started emerging from another.

And then started persecuting and killing each other but here's hoping they keep it civil!
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 pm I dunno, why do YOU treat progressive as a dirty word? And yes, I'm talking to you, Slash.
Because for me currently it is but i don't claim it was dirty for the last 100 years.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The idea isn't dirty. The word isn't dirty. Only those brats who use it to be "trendy" and "cool."
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/201 ... gh-walker/

An interesting view of things.

Personally, I'm now heavily leaking towards "Skywalker' referring to a new order of Force users, succeeding the Jedi. Especially after learning that Lucas initially considered using the name for that purpose instead of Jedi. Many religions have started emerging from another.

And then started persecuting and killing each other but here's hoping they keep it civil!
So...the Jedi go through a rebranding...and begin again with a new name and new outlook on the universe, the force and their place in it all? Could work.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:56 am
Actarus wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am
Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am At first I thought it was a ruined Death Star but the problem is that both of them blew up pretty thoroughly.
It is a ruined Death Star. They are probably on Endor.
Yes, but I'm saying if that's the case, it's a retcon, because neither Death Star left any ruins from the explosions we saw in the OT.
It was an 80s special effect explosion where an object miraculously turned into a fourth of july firecracker within a frame. Not exactly the most realistic depiction of a large space station exploding. I can roll with the idea that large chunks of debris crashed onto the the surface of Endor.