DIS Season 3 (Speculation and Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: DIS Season 3 (Speculation and Spoilers)

Post by Makeshift Python »

Zoinksberg wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 pm All of it is true. Especially the lies.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

There will be a massive war and the attended violence, death and explosions with none of the patience or calm of DS9. The enemy will be either Cardassians, Romulans or the Dominion and they'll have been given a ridiculous redesign (as a culture, if not in terms of their visuals - though the Cardies would definitely get that).

The Federation will be fractured or destroyed and there'll be a Borg plotline that just, sort of, gets dropped with no firm conclusion.

There'll be a bunch of random references but nothing of substance from any season of Trek will be carried over. No Temporal Cold War. The Klingons will behave just as they do in DIS but their visuals will be more consistent with TNG (the writers apparently think that's the issue with their depiction, not the distortion/reduction of their culture). All other ships will use pulse weapons, rather than beam weapons because "pew pew, boom boom" is more epic or whatever.

I'm shaky on some of these but I think I'm in the ballpark. I hope (but do not predict) I will be proved wrong.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Simplicius wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:48 pm The Federation will be fractured or destroyed and there'll be a Borg plotline that just, sort of, gets dropped with no firm conclusion.
Star Trek: Andromeda. Funny thing; I can see story potential in it. But just because I can see the potential does not mean it is a good idea. To the Titanic's captain, going full speed through an iceberg zone seemed like a good idea too.
I want my hopeful Star trek back.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 pm Star Trek: Andromeda. Funny thing; I can see story potential in it. But just because I can see the potential does not mean it is a good idea. To the Titanic's captain, going full speed through an iceberg zone seemed like a good idea too.
I want my hopeful Star trek back.
I mean a federation crew from the TOS era going to a grim dark future where they work to restore hope and peace sounds like hopeful Star Trek. And is probably what the writers might try to do.

Whether or not they succeed is debatable. I'm someone who likes Discovery and I find the writing to be rough in a lot of areas.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You know, the "in the 33rd century there's a new dark age" would actually explain a lot. I know, lots of fans would hate such a shake-up, arguing what they did for Star Wars, that it kills the happy times we saw in TNG, but... I'm not against that on principle. Maybe there was a Kelvan invasion for some reason. However, my big beef is... why would the Discovery be the only ship left? I like that idea, don't get me wrong. The last Federation ship, but... maybe make it a new Discovery? One with less stigma attached to the name that the show has?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

That's actually covered in the mid-credits scene - since the remnant of the Federation are now the bad guys (V'draysh = V'd-uh-raysh-un) Commodore April suggests the ship's name should reflect that their new mission is on behalf of the entire galaxy, not just Earth, so they change it to USS Galactica.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Okay then. If it's explained. I'm sure someone could dissect it more. With that said, I'm a bit leery this is just "trailers always lie" trash. However, if they're really sticking to their guns and giving this a scene change, rather than just heading there for like a visit? Well... I could get behind that, tbh.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
jakinbandw
Redshirt

Post by jakinbandw »

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:37 pm The sad thing is that whilst I am smart enough to notice sarcasm, and smart enough to check Memory Alpha before I comment further, I actually would not be surprised. Surely that is STDs ultimate sin: you never get a second first impression.
I mean, it's one reason why I never liked TNG. The episodes I caught out of order were trash holodeck episodes (even worse than 'it was all just a dream' in my opinion, and then when I gave it a chance I couldn't make it halfway though the first season without giving up).
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Welcome to the forums!
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

jakinbandw wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:58 pm
clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:37 pm The sad thing is that whilst I am smart enough to notice sarcasm, and smart enough to check Memory Alpha before I comment further, I actually would not be surprised. Surely that is STDs ultimate sin: you never get a second first impression.
I mean, it's one reason why I never liked TNG. The episodes I caught out of order were trash holodeck episodes (even worse than 'it was all just a dream' in my opinion, and then when I gave it a chance I couldn't make it halfway though the first season without giving up).
Warning, right wingers are allowed here. They are just like any other users. Not second class posters.

Carry on.