Sonic Trailer #1 Out

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
G-Man
Officer

Sonic Trailer #1 Out

Post by G-Man »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLGY_cWF9lk

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Sonic Trailer #1 Out

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The only thing that really gets to me is Jim Carrey doing the shshhh gag from Austin Powers.
Power laces... alright.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I did kinda dig Robotnik's battle tech the couple of times it appeared, and the suitcase gag at the end made me genuinely chuckle for a second. Sonic looks bad though, just... generic, superficial, not just visually (though yeah, visually) but any sense of character I got from the trailer, which was virtually none. I wouldn't mind being wrong - I'm on a bit of a Console Wars nostalgia kick at the moment - but I'm at a Smurfs Movie level of I Don't Care.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Sonic's probably gonna be more or less a macguffin.
Power laces... alright.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

I mean
It could always be worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Dammit I'm not even drunk yet and I'm finding myself anticipating the movie.

For all the crap movies based on video games, this one just might not give a shit enough in order for it to just be simply enjoyable.
Power laces... alright.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

That trailer looks terrible and based on it movie is going to that as well. Sonic's design is nightmare fuel and Jim Carrey as Robotnik acts too much like he always does when doing his comedic roles. It really gave me flashbacks to Batman Forever and him playing Riddler in that movie. I spotted that Neal McDonough is also part of cast. I know him best as Damien Darkh from Arrowverse and as Bison from Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:13 am I did kinda dig Robotnik's battle tech the couple of times it appeared, and the suitcase gag at the end made me genuinely chuckle for a second. Sonic looks bad though, just... generic, superficial, not just visually (though yeah, visually) but any sense of character I got from the trailer, which was virtually none. I wouldn't mind being wrong - I'm on a bit of a Console Wars nostalgia kick at the moment - but I'm at a Smurfs Movie level of I Don't Care.
It's really clear they did the design that way so they could use motion capture for Sonic. The texture on Sonic isn't bad, but because he has human proportions below the head he looks more like living sports mascot rather than living cartoon characters. Contrast with the pokemon in Detective Pikachu.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

So... looks like the director of the film's been paying attention to social media... https://www.destructoid.com/sonic-the-h ... 2262.phtml