Star Wars Vader Comic - OMG!

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Star Wars Vader Comic - OMG!

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:58 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 pm If you're going to put women in stories, some of the women should screw up big time, and suffer for it. Women are human (or Vulcan or Twi'lek or... You know what I mean) and are just as capable as men of screwing up big time.

IMO, it would be sexist to show women being consistently less capable than the men -- except in cases where biology dictates, like lifting heavy objects, getting things from the top shelf, or using TV remotes. But having a female character who messes up isn't sexist, it's life.
What about certain sports? It would not surprise me if the least athletic man would be way better at basketball compared to the least athletic woman...
That'd fit under "cases where biology dictates," though I think the least athletic men and least athletic women would perform similarly, if you included those in comas.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:06 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:58 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 pm If you're going to put women in stories, some of the women should screw up big time, and suffer for it. Women are human (or Vulcan or Twi'lek or... You know what I mean) and are just as capable as men of screwing up big time.

IMO, it would be sexist to show women being consistently less capable than the men -- except in cases where biology dictates, like lifting heavy objects, getting things from the top shelf, or using TV remotes. But having a female character who messes up isn't sexist, it's life.
What about certain sports? It would not surprise me if the least athletic man would be way better at basketball compared to the least athletic woman...
That'd fit under "cases where biology dictates," though I think the least athletic men and least athletic women would perform similarly, if you included those in comas.
Basketball...

I am not sure. Unathletic dudes can hang. Kawhi Leonard looks like some strong monster AND IS but he has pretty average NBA vertical.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm not mad about this because it's a woman getting killed, mind. This shit happens in real life too. Don't think I'm trying to downplay that. But with that said, it does feel like cruel meta-commentary on fangirls, as others have noted (because trust me, I saw a TON of "Padme redeems Vader" fanfics back in the day during the height of the prequel era, all of which you can still find on FanFiction.net) as well as just... pointless, and needlessly nasty. We all know how this is gonna end - or at least, we suspect how it's gonna end. Also, the video didn't explain it well, but are her reasons fleshed out for crushing on a genocidal madman? I get it, Vader killing her is badass and in character, and you know what, it's satisfying at the same time you feel sorry for her. It is well handled in that moment. But, I'd love to know the reasons she chose this guy to try and want to hook up with, because as presented, it's not a "poor man, I want to try and mend his tortured soul," which could've worked and made this tragic. Or maybe something in her past to explain this. She's literally presented as being set up for death, without anything that gives us a hint of her motivations past "bitches be crazy." How is that compelling storytelling? It's not. Again, I'm not the first old-school fan stamping their feet getting pissed off and saying there's cruel meta-commentary going on in the new "canon." Lots of people said Last Jedi had this too.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:41 pm I'm not mad about this because it's a woman getting killed, mind. This shit happens in real life too. Don't think I'm trying to downplay that. But with that said, it does feel like cruel meta-commentary on fangirls, as others have noted (because trust me, I saw a TON of "Padme redeems Vader" fanfics back in the day during the height of the prequel era, all of which you can still find on FanFiction.net) as well as just... pointless, and needlessly nasty. We all know how this is gonna end - or at least, we suspect how it's gonna end. Also, the video didn't explain it well, but are her reasons fleshed out for crushing on a genocidal madman? I get it, Vader killing her is badass and in character, and you know what, it's satisfying at the same time you feel sorry for her. It is well handled in that moment. But, I'd love to know the reasons she chose this guy to try and want to hook up with, because as presented, it's not a "poor man, I want to try and mend his tortured soul," which could've worked and made this tragic. Or maybe something in her past to explain this. She's literally presented as being set up for death, without anything that gives us a hint of her motivations past "bitches be crazy." How is that compelling storytelling? It's not. Again, I'm not the first old-school fan stamping their feet getting pissed off and saying there's cruel meta-commentary going on in the new "canon." Lots of people said Last Jedi had this too.
I understand a bit better now. Throwing shade on someone for being a fan is a bit harsher, I guess. There are women in real life who fall in love with violent criminals, even serial killers; this is known as hybristophilia, and the causes for it are debated.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's not my issue. I do think it could use fleshing out, so she comes off as less a setpiece, and how there was a potentially better angle waiting in the wings I've seen many fanfic writers thrive on. Plus it's the whole meta-commentary on how it seems to be attacking fangirls, yet it doesn't understand their mindset, because again, think how tragic and what a fully realized concept it would have been if she'd seen his damage, and felt sorry for him? The Florence Nightingale effect is still a real phenomenon, sadly. Perhaps even think his evil acts just come from his wounds and pain and living within a shell. It's still technically stereotyping, but in a realistic way. But then that seems like the very fanfics they're satirizing and mocking, so, that was no dice.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Cylus
Redshirt

Post by Cylus »

Darth Vader isn't out of character here, thankfully, but I do agree the scenario presented is probably too nasty and cruel due to the out-of-universe implications.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Just leaving this old gem here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Robovski wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 am Just leaving this old gem here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4
Hahaha!

Thank you thank you thank you very much!