The Dumbest Thing Eddington Ever Did

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Dumbest Thing Eddington Ever Did

Post by Yukaphile »

I really hate the tactics the Maquis used, though. Attacking civilian targets to get what they wanted. Eddington encouraged that, which is one of the driving factors behind why they turned to the Dominion.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

As far as Sisko being heavy handed, I think something that really complicates the matter along with Cardassians being a butthole KGB state is that the Maquis were insurgent within and up the ranks of the Federation. As blasted as the treaty was, and for as much as they could disavow the actions of the Maquis as terrorists, it was inherently making the Federation somewhat contemptible, potentially dragging them headfirst into a war they weren't prepared to fight.

I'm going to read through the thread and affirm whether or not someone has already brought this up heh.
Tracking heartbeats is kids stuff.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yeah, Cardassians sure didn't make situation easy for Federation that had it's hands tied that's for sure when it comes to Maquis. Not easy situation to be in for galactic power that wasn't ready for war and had to protect everyone else under they protection.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

And yeah, was more or less touched upon in the string of discussion I joined at.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:53 pm As far as Sisko being heavy handed, I think something that really complicates the matter along with Cardassians being a butthole KGB state is that the Maquis were insurgent within and up the ranks of the Federation. As blasted as the treaty was, and for as much as they could disavow the actions of the Maquis as terrorists, it was inherently making the Federation somewhat contemptible, potentially dragging them headfirst into a war they weren't prepared to fight.

I'm going to read through the thread and affirm whether or not someone has already brought this up heh.
Wrong, the whole point of the "Peace Treaty" is Fed must genocide Cardassia's enemies. As soon as the Maquis were duly genocided, Cardassia openly declared war. Of course Fed was unprepared remember Riker's contempt for learning tactics. Fed didn't want to be prepared.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Artabax wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:39 pm
Wrong, the whole point of the "Peace Treaty" is Fed must genocide Cardassia's enemies. As soon as the Maquis were duly genocided, Cardassia openly declared war. Of course Fed was unprepared remember Riker's contempt for learning tactics. Fed didn't want to be prepared.
What is your definition of genocide Artabax? Do you mean Fed must "kill Cardassia's enemies" instead? Because if that was the case wouldn't they have just declared war immediately on the Klingons when they attacked, why do the Bajorans not count as "Cardassia's enemies?" I may not remember correctly, but didn't the peace treaty mean these colonists were no longer on Federation land? It's still a terrible treaty but I swear the Federation didn't sign the interstellar version of the fugitive slave act to end a relatively minor war with a smaller power.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:53 pm As far as Sisko being heavy handed, I think something that really complicates the matter along with Cardassians being a butthole KGB state is that the Maquis were insurgent within and up the ranks of the Federation. As blasted as the treaty was, and for as much as they could disavow the actions of the Maquis as terrorists, it was inherently making the Federation somewhat contemptible, potentially dragging them headfirst into a war they weren't prepared to fight.

I'll just put a pin in that.

Unless you can point to the specific episodes that was made explicit? 'Cause I just watched through all the cardi and maquis episodes from TNG to DS9 in sequence for each show and I missed that.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:52 am

I'll just put a pin in that.

Unless you can point to the specific episodes that was made explicit? 'Cause I just watched through all the cardi and maquis episodes from TNG to DS9 in sequence for each show and I missed that.
The episode, Peak Performance. Season 2 episode 21 of TNG.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The peace treaty NEVER said they had to genocide Cardassian enemies. What the hell are you talking about?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 am The peace treaty NEVER said they had to genocide Cardassian enemies. What the hell are you talking about?
I think the issue is how things kept going. Where the Federation felt compelled to stop the maquis but the Cardassians would help their own rebellious faction. Recall that in the two parter the cardassians planted bombs. Disappeared settlers, and poisoned replicators. All to kill off the federation colonists. Worlds the cardassians left were stripped and often boobytrapped. While any Federation world they got was intact with all amenities still there. The civilian colonists were supposedly doing the fighting without government aid. But the cardassians quietly were aiding their side. So every Maquis member the federation went and took down was another defender. Oh and the attacking civilians? The cardassians liked to put military targets in populated areas so squeamish parties like the Federation would think twice on attacking them. And if they did? 'Oh they just bombed a children's hospital!'

So genocide might be a strong word. But they blame Eddington for the Maquis being effective enough to actually need official notice. 'It is your fault those people are dying. You made them too good.' Not a direct quote but you get my meaning.