Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Now there's an interesting idea, Q avoids Sisko not because he actually punched him, but because the Prophets don't like other kids playing with their toys, thank you very much.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Draco Dracul wrote:One for me is that because he wanted to get through the academy solely on his own merits Tom Paris entered Starfleet Academy under the name Nicholas Locarno.
It reminds of Taurik and Vorik, who are commonly believed to be identical twins. Someone made a joke though that, "They claim to be two different people, yet you never see them on the same time."
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Pacific Rim

Pentecost and Herc Hansen were copilots. I don't know if that is supported by any of the comics they have put out but i always thought that is what Pentecost meant when he said "you are your father's son, so we will drift just fine"

Maybe there is this symmetry where if A can drift with B and B can drift with C then A can drift with C.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Headcanon:

An obscure bit of background info for Harry Potter (so obscure that I'm honestly not sure weather its canon or that most odious of concepts, "fanon") is that Blaise Zambini's mother has been married a whole bunch of times, with all her partners suspiciously dying. The implication/usual assumption being that she's killing them off.

I rather prefer the idea that its the result of a curse, partly because it seems less cliche, and partly because it fits a known pattern for Potterverse curses very well. Namely Voldemort's Curse on the DADA position, which kills or otherwise screws over everyone who holds it within a certain amount of time.

Another Potter theory, albeit not an original one:

Wizarding America is not a super power. Wizarding Britain remains the dominant power. Hence why we see America being pushed around by the international community and its government being so easily subverted by Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts, and why Voldemort conquering Britain is more or less treated as synonymous with him conquering the world in canon.

I'd further argue that this is likely due to the small size of the Wizarding World and its almost-complete reliance on magic, to the point that as we see repeatedly, a single exceptionally powerful wizard or witch (i.e. Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Voldemort, Harry to an extent) is a threat to an entire wizarding nation, and capable of single-handedly turning the tide of a war, with wars being decided by duels between powerful wizards.

Thus, Britain is powerful because it has one of the most prestigious schools for magic in the world, and two of the three most powerful wizards of the last century came from Britain (and the third lived their briefly).
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Another Dresden Files one:

Kincaid is MacBeth.

OK, suddenly I want to see a Dresden Files / Gargoyles crossover.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Me too.

They actually have a fair bit in common. The heavy involvement of the fairies, for example, the urban fantasy setting with a female detective as the protagonist's main ally/love interest (although frankly, I consider a Elisa a more likeable and in some respects interesting character than Murphy, and she's more of a co-protagonist while Murphy is only a supporting character).

Plus, I've read somewhere that Marcone was inspired by Xanatos.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

I won't really get into it, but I've written the Star Wars prequels out of my head. I have a vague outline of events that transpired in Obi-Wan Kenobi's youth and the fall of the Republic, and it bears no resemblance at all to anything that's ever been shown on screen.

The TLDR is that the Clone Wars were an extremely extended conflict (10+ years) between the Republic and an alien species on their fringe that used cloned soldiers, and the extended conflict strained the Republic. Sometime during that conflict is when Obi-wan, a Jedi Knight, meets a young and gifted pilot named Anakin Skywalker. The Jedi Order also isn't some cult of creepy monks who recruit 4-year olds and indoctrinate them, but something like an idealized version of the Teutonic Knights. And Emperor Palpatine bears a much stronger resemblance to Julius Caesar, as a military leader who built a political career out of his fame and the loyalty of his troops, rather than a civilian in a mucked-up bureaucracy.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

bronnt wrote:I won't really get into it, but I've written the Star Wars prequels out of my head. I have a vague outline of events that transpired in Obi-Wan Kenobi's youth and the fall of the Republic, and it bears no resemblance at all to anything that's ever been shown on screen.

The TLDR is that the Clone Wars were an extremely extended conflict (10+ years) between the Republic and an alien species on their fringe that used cloned soldiers, and the extended conflict strained the Republic. Sometime during that conflict is when Obi-wan, a Jedi Knight, meets a young and gifted pilot named Anakin Skywalker. The Jedi Order also isn't some cult of creepy monks who recruit 4-year olds and indoctrinate them, but something like an idealized version of the Teutonic Knights. And Emperor Palpatine bears a much stronger resemblance to Julius Caesar, as a military leader who built a political career out of his fame and the loyalty of his troops, rather than a civilian in a mucked-up bureaucracy.
I was thinking of something similar too when I rewatched the original trilogy a few years back.
Although I figured the 'order 666' thing would go ahead very similarly to how it did in ROTS.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

SlackerinDeNile wrote:I was thinking of something similar too when I rewatched the original trilogy a few years back.
Although I figured the 'order 666' thing would go ahead very similarly to how it did in ROTS.
To be honest I don't see any way you could execute a wide spread conspiracy to murder all the Jedi in one swift strike like that. It's really unlikely with clones, aren't going to be bred with strong wills to resist a Jedi's ability to read their mind (there's varying degrees to which they can sense intentions as well), but it's just as unlikely that you can get it done with a traditional military. There's various different depictions of how powerful Jedi abilities are, but Obi-wan casually manipulates stormtroopers at will in the original film, so it's impossible for me to imagine they could have hidden a plan to exterminate the Jedi in their minds without some of that leaking out.

I tend to think that widespread propaganda began to discredit the Jedi and turn popular sentiment against them, and to lay some degree of blame on them for the Clone Wars, where many Jedi probably featured prominently. This led to a lot of people being skeptical that Jedi even had any abilities at all, since there would be so few Jedi in the galaxy, and would lead to an environment where a Han Solo could doubt that the Force even exists and thinks Jedi works are all parlor tricks. But the whole thing leads up to a Holocaust-type situation where Jedi end up being forbidden to exercise any political power or authority and are ordered to leave Coruscant.

There probably would be some Jedi who could see where this was going that might attempt a coup, in order to protect the Republic, which would only make it easier for widespread propaganda to cast them as the villains.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

bronnt wrote: To be honest I don't see any way you could execute a wide spread conspiracy to murder all the Jedi in one swift strike like that. It's really unlikely with clones, aren't going to be bred with strong wills to resist a Jedi's ability to read their mind (there's varying degrees to which they can sense intentions as well), but it's just as unlikely that you can get it done with a traditional military. There's various different depictions of how powerful Jedi abilities are, but Obi-wan casually manipulates stormtroopers at will in the original film, so it's impossible for me to imagine they could have hidden a plan to exterminate the Jedi in their minds without some of that leaking out.

I tend to think that widespread propaganda began to discredit the Jedi and turn popular sentiment against them, and to lay some degree of blame on them for the Clone Wars, where many Jedi probably featured prominently. This led to a lot of people being skeptical that Jedi even had any abilities at all, since there would be so few Jedi in the galaxy, and would lead to an environment where a Han Solo could doubt that the Force even exists and thinks Jedi works are all parlor tricks. But the whole thing leads up to a Holocaust-type situation where Jedi end up being forbidden to exercise any political power or authority and are ordered to leave Coruscant.

There probably would be some Jedi who could see where this was going that might attempt a coup, in order to protect the Republic, which would only make it easier for widespread propaganda to cast them as the villains.
You put a lot more thought into this than I did, or Lucas for that matter.

As interesting as all that is, how much of that would actually 'fit' in Star Wars? I mean, the original trilogy had a lot more subtext and deeper meaning than the prequel trilogy (which hit everyone in the face with s**t like the midichlorians and convoluted, poorly thought-out space opera politics) and will likely continue to have more than the sequel trilogy too, but it was still primarily a mythological, fantasy action-adventure. I'm aware that many of the expanded universe novels and comics go into more detail regarding the sociology and politics of the franchise but most of them don't stray too far from its core nature.

Still, this is just headcanon. :P
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman