Bloomberg reckons Star Wars has lost a whole generation of Kids

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Bloomberg reckons Star Wars has lost a whole generation of Kids

Post by clearspira »

What do you guys reckon? Is Star Wars now basically ''your dad's'' franchise or does it have a future? There is no doubt that Marvel has now taken the spot it used to hold, or that there is now nothing original about the films in 2019, or that the politics have turned many people away. No one is saying that Star Wars is dead, but there are clear signs it is in decline.

[url]https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-07/star-wars-is-struggling-to-win-over-the-marvel-generation[/url]
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Bloomberg reckons Star Wars has lost a whole generation of Kids

Post by Admiral X »

My Gen Z nephew seems to be into SW. As in the original trilogy - not the new ones.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:13 am What do you guys reckon? Is Star Wars now basically ''your dad's'' franchise or does it have a future? There is no doubt that Marvel has now taken the spot it used to hold, or that there is now nothing original about the films in 2019, or that the politics have turned many people away. No one is saying that Star Wars is dead, but there are clear signs it is in decline.

[url]https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-07/star-wars-is-struggling-to-win-over-the-marvel-generation[/url]
There was something original about them in the 70s and 80s?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Original trilogy wasn't very original either with everything that Lucas pretty much took else were so claim that some how it was original is pure ignorance. Also no matter how much you hate sequel trilogy and everything made after it started you can't deny that SW is still going strong with all three trilogies having they own fans as well as there being fandom for Legends as well. Sure you might want entire fandom to share your views and like same things as you but that won't happen. After all like with all fandoms while all SW fans share love for franchise they aren't some hive mind that thinks same way and has same views and opinions.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

As long as the X-Wing novels from many years ago still tell the tale of Dinner Squadron, that shall suffice.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

It's true that the Original Trilogy was largely cribbing elements from a bunch of other stories, rather than creating a truly original narrative. However, what was original was putting all those story elements in a feature film. If you'd grown up watching old film serials, or if you read sci-fi novels and comic books, little in Star Wars was going to be new to you, but in the movie theaters of the 70's, there was nothing else like it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

You see a lot of videos that shows first time reveals of Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker in Empire Strikes Back to children, around 4-5 years old. So yeah makes sense that it would live on. Though it also matters how much of the original fans have children to pass that interest on to.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fianna wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:33 pm It's true that the Original Trilogy was largely cribbing elements from a bunch of other stories, rather than creating a truly original narrative. However, what was original was putting all those story elements in a feature film. If you'd grown up watching old film serials, or if you read sci-fi novels and comic books, little in Star Wars was going to be new to you, but in the movie theaters of the 70's, there was nothing else like it.
Yep, beat me to it.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

My nephews like Star Wars because of the Clone Wars cartoons, as far as I can tell, and they aren't high school age yet. You don't have to like the sequel trilogy to like Star Wars.

If I had to bet money, I'd bet that it will continue to have an audience (and be a money-maker), but I don't think it will be the spectacular success it was in the past. The original trilogy was good for its day, with a lot of kid appeal, but I think film-making has improved in some ways since then. Few works of fiction reach that level, and I don't think any of them stay there for decades.

I could be wrong. Maybe IX will be the best movie yet, and maybe the next cartoon will be so good that Christmas will be replaced by Life Day. That just doesn't seem to be the trend, for Star Wars, or for anything else.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 pm My nephews like Star Wars because of the Clone Wars cartoons, as far as I can tell, and they aren't high school age yet. You don't have to like the sequel trilogy to like Star Wars.

If I had to bet money, I'd bet that it will continue to have an audience (and be a money-maker), but I don't think it will be the spectacular success it was in the past. The original trilogy was good for its day, with a lot of kid appeal, but I think film-making has improved in some ways since then. Few works of fiction reach that level, and I don't think any of them stay there for decades.

I could be wrong. Maybe IX will be the best movie yet, and maybe the next cartoon will be so good that Christmas will be replaced by Life Day. That just doesn't seem to be the trend, for Star Wars, or for anything else.
They should had offered half billion to the Raid team so SW can have best stunts put on screen.