Media (movies or TV shows) you like but everyone else hates?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Media (movies or TV shows) you like but everyone else hates?

Post by Yukaphile »

Pulling down a Star Destroyer was SICK!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Several already mentioned. The assembly cut of Alien 3 is pretty good (it still grates that it craps all over Aliens to further its own story, but its own story is at least presented very well). The Daredevil director's cut likewise is miles ahead of the theatrical. Waterworld has the makings of a great film, if only the Mariner had had some charisma, but it's still a great ride most of the time.

I kind of love Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, with its pulp sensibilities and every frame being a painting and all that. I seem to have more time for Jude Law than most (at least, that's what everyone says), and I thought Gwyneth Paltrow was in her element for once.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is like the hottest of all possible hot messes. Practically nothing in it really works the way it's supposed to (except the Pearls, who do) but I wouldn't change a thing.

I genuinely enjoy watching Star Trek TMP. Director's cut, obviously, but still. And not in spite of the long orchestral effects shots, because of them - overture and all.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

clearspira wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:40 am 1) Waterworld the ''most expensive failure of all time''. Its not a deep film, its mindless action, but I don't think it was ever intending to be anything more. I think if this was a 2019 film, its practical effects over CGI and its green message would probably make it a winner.

2) Ben Affleck's Daredevil. I don't see why its hated.

3) Star Trek: The Final Frontier. I CAN see why this is hated, but for me this is a top half Star Trek film and superior to STD.
I love ST movie 5. We killed God :D :D :D
Not only that, Spock killed God.
LOGIC killed God 8-) 8-) 8-)
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.