The 13th Doctor announced

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Re: The 13th Doctor announced

Post by MadAmosMalone »

He was another one I was thinking of, yep. Kate Winslet was another one.

Obviously it's not a hard and fast rule as the previously noted dreadful accents of various Doctor Who actors illustrate but this is why I said "most" and not "all." There are other exceptions to the rule. There is a guy from my home state who played Professor Moriarty in Star Trek who was often thought to be a native Brit but was, in fact, a native Arkie. *Edit* Had to look up his name, couldn't remember. It's Daniel Davis. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0204425/

Of course I feel a little guilty contributing to dragging this whole thread off topic.

I think the new Doctor being a woman was definitely a move to appease the politically correct crowd, a crowd who will often not even watch the show. However I don't see this as a reason not to welcome Ms. Whitaker like I have every other actor to take on the role. Still don't have the highest confidence in the writers but will still watch the show all the same.
Last edited by MadAmosMalone on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

MadAmosMalone wrote:I think the new Doctor being a woman was definitely a move to appease the politically correct crowd, a crowd who will often not even watch the show. However I don't see this as a reason not to welcome Ms. Whitaker like I have every other actor to take on the role. Still don't have the highest confidence in the writers but will still watch the show all the same.
I think politics are a contributing factor but obviously not the only one and we'll probably never know to which degree. They did have a male actor considered as well before deciding on Jodie.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

MadAmosMalone wrote:Still don't have the highest confidence in the writers but will still watch the show all the same.
I think this is possibly the biggest problem with a female doctor; if the writers drop the ball, then regardless of how good Whittaker is, it could possibly scupper any chances of future female doctors. If the writing is bad, then in some people's minds that will reflect badly on the character and people will use it as an excuse to declare female Doctors a bad idea that should be avoided. Which is a shame and highly unfair. :|
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

On the other hand, if she does a good job, the next version might be female too, then the next and the next. We may come to a time when many fans don't remember the Doctor ever being male. Then someone will get the bright idea of making the Doctor a male and the fandom will come unspooled. Who knows (who nose)?
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

Well glad my predication about them playing it "safe" and picking another man was wrong.

Anyways I hope for the best with this new direction, I am also curious about who will be her first companion. (There's already rumors that Kris Marshall might actually be the companion instead of the doctor like people originally thought.)
And if anyone wants to see Jodie Whittaker in something other than Broadchurch I would suggest the sci-fi film "Attack the block" it's a fun monster movie that not a lot of people talk about.(And it is also stars John Boyega. So there's that.)
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

MadAmosMalone wrote:On the other hand, if she does a good job, the next version might be female too, then the next and the next. We may come to a time when many fans don't remember the Doctor ever being male. Then someone will get the bright idea of making the Doctor a male and the fandom will come unspooled. Who knows (who nose)?
It'd take a long time for that to happen, given all the teenagers (and younger) growing up with the show today.

Especially since Tom Baker (and for the new series, Tennant and Smith) are kind of the definitive takes on the role.
Fixer wrote:
MadAmosMalone wrote:I think the new Doctor being a woman was definitely a move to appease the politically correct crowd, a crowd who will often not even watch the show. However I don't see this as a reason not to welcome Ms. Whitaker like I have every other actor to take on the role. Still don't have the highest confidence in the writers but will still watch the show all the same.
I think politics are a contributing factor but obviously not the only one and we'll probably never know to which degree. They did have a male actor considered as well before deciding on Jodie.
If they were considering a male Doctor, that tells me that the decision was made based at least partly on individual merit, not politics. Not that I think its always wrong for politics to be taken into account, but there it is.

The fact that Chibnall has previously worked with Whittaker, plus everything I've heard about Whittaker's prior roles, reinforces that conclusion.

Seriously, her doing a good job is the one thing here I'm not particularly worried about.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Although, have we had any actor for the Doctor do a "bad job" recently? Usually it's show runners who get criticized and accused of wasting the talent of the actor picked to portray the Doctor.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

MadAmosMalone wrote:He was another one I was thinking of, yep. Kate Winslet was another one.

Obviously it's not a hard and fast rule as the previously noted dreadful accents of various Doctor Who actors illustrate but this is why I said "most" and not "all." There are other exceptions to the rule. There is a guy from my home state who played Professor Moriarty in Star Trek who was often thought to be a native Brit but was, in fact, a native Arkie. *Edit* Had to look up his name, couldn't remember. It's Daniel Davis. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0204425/

Of course I feel a little guilty contributing to dragging this whole thread off topic.

I think the new Doctor being a woman was definitely a move to appease the politically correct crowd, a crowd who will often not even watch the show. However I don't see this as a reason not to welcome Ms. Whitaker like I have every other actor to take on the role. Still don't have the highest confidence in the writers but will still watch the show all the same.
People have been asking for a female Doctor for as long as I can remember (well okay, honestly probably as long as David Tennant announced he was leaving the show) but yeah, it's also there to appease people who were clamoring for a female Doctor and/or a POC Doctor.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Steve wrote:Although, have we had any actor for the Doctor do a "bad job" recently? Usually it's show runners who get criticized and accused of wasting the talent of the actor picked to portray the Doctor.
Well if you'll put it like that, I'll hang the target on Matt Smith. Though I was more disappointed with Eccleston only turning in a single season than anything that can be attributed to the acting alone.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Steve wrote:Although, have we had any actor for the Doctor do a "bad job" recently? Usually it's show runners who get criticized and accused of wasting the talent of the actor picked to portray the Doctor.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: There has never been a bad Doctor.

Just bad scripts and executives.