Did Jack the Ripper have a Vorlon in his head?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Did Jack the Ripper have a Vorlon in his head?

Post by Yukaphile »

No, seriously. I was prompted to think of this when I saw on the "Sebastian/Jack" video on YouTube, how when he wanted to die, that somebody responded, "You know, the airlock's right over there," and the Vorlons would never permit that. Then I recalled how Lorien confirmed the Vorlons put a "broken-off" piece of their consciousness into their agents, and he was an agent, so... is it possible? That might explain how he was able to seemingly all on his own control the ship.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Beastro
Captain

Re: Did Jack the Ripper have a Vorlon in his head?

Post by Beastro »

Maybe, but like with Kosh that doesn't necessarily mean one is exactly in him, but a trace is even if it isn't entirely Vorlon, just an echo and enough to control the Vorlon tech he rrquired.

I think it's more apt to the whole thing that it's rather they've limited and controlled his autonomy to do what they want, but also have shown and done things to him to make him realize how foolish his murdering was. He's contrite in ways, but cannot be free even to die because he's of use to them, something he as a Victorian man never could have comprehended and is overwhelmed in ways to have thrust on him.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I dunno, is that consistent to lore? Lorien flat-out confirmed they break off an essence of their consciousness into their agents. He was exactly that. That said, it could be there are always a "degree" to how much of their consciousness they section off. I think canon also backs that up given how it looked as if, before he was killed, most of Kosh had filtered into Sheridan via the dream. This would mean that Jack had the "trace," as you said.

I always took a different interpretation to that episode. My feeling was that Jack the Ripper being "touched by the Vorlons" was JMS's subversion/take on the old religious idea especially among Christians as to how Jesus walked among the downtrodden and the poor and the outcasts and degenerates, and healed them. This is nothing like that, reinforcing the view the Vorlons, as beings of light, need not necessarily be good, in a classical sense, anyway. They take a man from a disillusioned period in history, at the height of what he sees as human corruption, uplift him, and put him to penance, when by all accounts, it'd be better served letting him die or bringing him to some kind of justice that is not so permanent. I find that fascinating.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

I doubt it. There was no real reason to. A man like Jack could be convinced easily enough with the right "divine" pressure. Kosh only put a piece into Sheridan because he knew he was going to be killed. There is no such threat with Jack.

That said, I do wonder what happened to him after the Vorlons left. After all, he was now of no use to them, and while they did leave quite a few messes in their wake, this is one that would be pretty easy to clean up on the way out.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You guys still are not countering that one point. They put their essence into their agents' heads. HE WAS AN AGENT. How can you dispute that? It'd also explain how he "knew" what he was looking for when Delenn gave the right answer. And how he could fly the ship.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

I think the Vorlon's implant an essence of theirs into their puppets like Jack. I think it's part consciousness-part control chip. They maintain a good degree of autonomy, but there are clearly limits to this. We saw with Lyta that she carried Kosh 2.0's essence inside her when she traveled out of his quarters. The impression I get with Jack/Sebastian is that they bring him out of hibernation/stasis whenever he's needed.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That makes sense.